So it's not ok for "hardcores" to have gear progression?

Darth_Sookie

True hardcore PvPers don't care one lick about gear progression -- they only care about improving their own skills so that they can win fights that are not slanted by artificial imbalances.

One of the worst concepts that World of Warcraft introduced to the MMO market is the idea of PvP gear progression. It put PvP players on a progression treadmill just to stay even with each other in terms of artificial improvements -- advantages gained not through skilled play or teamwork but through little more than time investment. Even the so-called "rated" arena gear was a time-based progression grind that simply took longer to complete the later that you joined in the system.

True hardcore PvP players want an even playing field. They want the characters themselves to be operating at the same statistical capacity so that their personal skill and teamwork capabilities can shine through. Whether they win or lose, they want it to be on the merit of their abilities, not because their character's gear gives them a 10% performance advantage over the other team.

There are other ways to reward success in PvP: mounts, non-combat pets, shiny gear, unique emotes, titles, etc. These needless but desirable things are called "trophies" and they exist in real life as well.

The people who truly care about PvP would be fine with everyone being handed a free set of PvP armor upon hitting level 50 so that when they beat someone that person knows that they were simply outplayed.

Agree 100%. I would have thought that someone at BW would have realized this, but apparently not. I dont want to win because I have BM gear and they dont, I want to win because my skill is better.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.