Inconsistent auto-afk

DataBeaver

The auto-afk seems to work in strange ways. So far I've observed the following:

- Chatting does not reset the afk timer (you can go auto-afk even if you chat), but does revert you to un-afk if you are afk

- Giving orders to crew members does not prevent auto-afk

- Moving items around in inventory and bank does not prevent auto-afk

- Equipping items does not prevent auto-afk

- Interacting with the UI in ways that do not involve the server does not prevent auto-afk

- I'm pretty sure using the GTN does not prevent auto-afk

- Reverse engineering resets the timer (I think; I'm sure it removes afk status at least)

- Moving prevents auto-afk completely

I haven't checked if interacting with a vendor or installing/removing item modifications resets auto-afk. The GTN thing might warrant verification.

Of particular interest is the behavior when chatting. You can go afk while sending lines in the chat, but your next line will make you un-afk again. Also the RE behavior does not seem to be in line with other things that deal with items.

One consequence is that if I'm standing still and running crew missions while doing something else, I have to watch for the "You are now away from keyboard" message in the chat box and press a movement key when it appears, or the server will throw me out a while later. This can be rather annoying.

Why not simply treat any key presses or mouse clicks as evidence that the player is at the keyboard? Or at the very least any traffic to the server?

Of course you should go afk when chatting.

Know why?

Gold sellers/spammers.

All the afk stuff revolves around keeping them out of the game. Blame them and the idiots that buy gold, not Bioware.

If the spammers can create a program that sends chat messages at regular intervals (presumably by sending a sequence of keystrokes to the game), do you not think they can create a program that can make the character turn around at regular intervals (by sending another sequence of keystrokes)? Also, note how I said that sending a line will make you un-afk after the auto-afk has been triggered? As long as the spammer sends lines often enough to not actually be logged out, they'll be fine.

A fabricated example:

[10:00] [spammer] Behold my beautiful message!

[10:03] [spammer] Behold my beautiful message!

[10:05] You are now away from keyboard

[10:06] [spammer] Behold my beautiful message!

[10:06] You are no longer away from keyboard

[10:09] [spammer] Behold my beautiful message!

[10:11] You are now away from keyboard

[10:12] [spammer] Behold my beautiful message!

[10:12] You are no longer away from keyboard

etc.

The auto-afk seems to work in strange ways. So far I've observed the following:

- I'm pretty sure using the GTN does not prevent auto-afk

This can be rather annoying.

Why not simply treat any key presses or mouse clicks as evidence that the player is at the keyboard? Or at the very least any traffic to the server?

I can confirm interacting with the GTN does not prevent auto-afk. As if I didn't find searching through there maddening enough. :mad:

Edited by Myem

• 3 weeks later...
Of course you should go afk when chatting.

Know why?

Gold sellers/spammers.

All the afk stuff revolves around keeping them out of the game. Blame them and the idiots that buy gold, not Bioware.

lol.. really? what does afk even mean? away from keyboard?

So if I am chatting, am I away from my keyboard?

You Sir, have a weird logic regarding being afk...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.