As a TANK: Should I gear for Damage or Protection?

Majestic_Jazz

This was brought up in a thread I created and in the thread began the discussion of should a tank gear as a DPS in Warzones. Instead of getting off topic there, I decided to just create a separate thread for that.

So yeah, I just turned L50 yesterday and I am STILL in my L40 PvP armor. I am spamming warzones and dailies/weeklies so I can get Centerion Commendations to get Centerion gear. I'll just wait for 1.2 to get Battlemaster since it'll be easier to obtain then and eventually War Hero.

So yeah, in the meantime I am focusing on Centerion [havent bought a piece yet] and I was planning to buy the Endurance/Defensive focused Centerion gear over the Strength based gear. However, going back to my previous thread, it has been brought to my attention that even as a Tank, in PvP I should gear as a DPS because many tanking abilities are useless in PvP and I would help my team out more by doing damage.

Because you fine ladies and gentlemen have more experience at L50 PvP than I do, what are your opinions on this?

Is it legit to say that I should gear as a DPS even though I am 100% spec'd as a Tank?

Thanks

Edited by Majestic_Jazz

If you're wanting to tank for a healer and be nearly unkillable when paired up with one then go tank gear.

People cry saying tank gear isn't that great due to the fact that shields don't absorb Force/Tech attacks but people also don't realize how OP tanks would be if they did so. A fully geared tank should have around 22k health and about 50% armor. A healer will rarely have to hard focus heals on him and is great for solo defending nodes or carrying the ball.

If you're wanting to tank for a healer and be nearly unkillable when paired up with one then go tank gear.

People cry saying tank gear isn't that great due to the fact that shields don't absorb Force/Tech attacks but people also don't realize how OP tanks would be if they did so. A fully geared tank should have around 22k health and about 50% armor. A healer will rarely have to hard focus heals on him and is great for solo defending nodes or carrying the ball.

So pretty much this whole notion that Tanks are better when geared as DPS is just some "trend" that many people follow but in actuality, does not really make sense?

this

im a vanguard tank and I have both the dps and tank bm set. there are actually merits for either way. been running a hybrid build and I honestly switch sets depending on group makeup or which wzs it is. for example in voidstar almost always run dps set, but in huttball if we lack a solid healer ill switch to full tank gear.

with tank spec and dps gear u won't out dps a great dps player but can still hit around 300k - 400k dmamge and 150k prot in a reasonably long voidstar while spamming taunts and making sure you have good guard control

yes u will be squishier in dps gear but if u are against good players they are usually focusing the healers and not the tank so most of your actual tank usefulness comes from taunts and guards

So pretty much this whole notion that Tanks are better when geared as DPS is just some "trend" that many people follow but in actuality, does not really make sense?

Some classes REALLY benefit as playing a tank spec with DPS and some do not. Shadow is easily the best class that can do this following Vanguard/Powertech.

Some classes REALLY benefit as playing a tank spec with DPS and some do not. Shadow is easily the best class that can do this following Vanguard/Powertech.

Well if it helps you figure out my situation, I am a Sith Juggernaut fully spec'd with the Immortal tree [Tank]

So yeah, does that change anything? Am I better off just sticking with the Tank-focused gear?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.