Passive survival and flashpoint tanking

LeeMerriman

Basically what I live for in this game is cruising through mobs to get levels and doing flashpoints (I really love flashpoints) so I rolled a PT because I've heard it's easy and it tanks well.

But then I saw that a Juggernaut will mitigate more damage than a PT, and I was wondering how well it'd work

Or, ya know, could a Juggernaut be a viable DPS class with much better survival than a Marauder?

TL;DR: Stick with PT tank spec for leveling, roll Jugg tank spec for leveling, roll Jugg DPS spec for leveling?

I played a Vanguard (Republic PT) till about 27 as DPS spec and it was fun until that point. After that I switched to tank spec and the game was fun again. That said, I didn't get her to 50 as I switched back to my Guardian (Republic Jug) for my main.

I find that I have more survivability and do 'decent' damage compared to other tanks.

Basically what I live for in this game is cruising through mobs to get levels and doing flashpoints (I really love flashpoints) so I rolled a PT because I've heard it's easy and it tanks well.

But then I saw that a Juggernaut will mitigate more damage than a PT, and I was wondering how well it'd work

Or, ya know, could a Juggernaut be a viable DPS class with much better survival than a Marauder?

TL;DR: Stick with PT tank spec for leveling, roll Jugg tank spec for leveling, roll Jugg DPS spec for leveling?

You have to be careful how you phrase things. Juggernauts will AVOID more damage than a PT but they will not necessarily MITIGATE more damage. The PT will SHIELD/ABSORB a lot more damage than the Juggernaught will. Juggernauts will have more cooldowns since stacking defense will provide more unpredictable mitigation. PT's have more shield/absorb so they are less reliant on CDs to "smooth" their damage mitigation.

You have to be careful how you phrase things. Juggernauts will AVOID more damage than a PT but they will not necessarily MITIGATE more damage. The PT will SHIELD/ABSORB a lot more damage than the Juggernaught will. Juggernauts will have more cooldowns since stacking defense will provide more unpredictable mitigation. PT's have more shield/absorb so they are less reliant on CDs to "smooth" their damage mitigation.

So if I had both a Juggernaut and a Powertech at level 14 just stand in front of a normal mob, the PT would take less damage?

I play a Sheild PT and tank ops and flashpoints, it is gear dependent but youcan tank more with a PT but I have not played a jug, I do have a guildie that is a Jug and we went in to a flash point to duel tank a boss and yes he had 18k health as i did but i took aggro from him and still took less damage. I dont know if he was just healthed out or what but i try to keep my aim and endurance fairly close with endurance higher but im getting my full colluim gear now.

So if I had both a Juggernaut and a Powertech at level 14 just stand in front of a normal mob, the PT would take less damage?

It would probably very between tests since mitigation is based on the random number generator. Generally a high defense character will take more spikey damage. They will avoid some attacks outright but when they do get hit it will generally be for more damage (since they likely have less shield/absorb). A high shield/absorb character will take more smooth damage. They will not avoid as many attacks so they will get hit more often, however, when the get hit they take much less than full damage. Ultimately it is up to playstyle. I find personally that I prefer shield/absorb. While at times I may take slightly more damage, my damage taken is more predictable making life easier for my healers in group settings. While leveling, I didn't really notice much of a difference either way.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.