Early Access 'Waves' - Updating Here

StephenReid

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Tarapìa tapiòco! Prematurata la supercazzola, o scherziamo?

Prego?

No, mi permetta. No, io... scusi, noi siamo in quattro. Come se fosse antani anche per lei soltanto in due, oppure in quattro anche scribài con cofandina? Come antifurto, per esempio.

Ma che antifurto, mi faccia il piacere! Questi signori qui stavano sonando loro. 'Un s'intrometta!

No, aspetti, mi porga l'indice; ecco lo alzi così... guardi, guardi, guardi. Lo vede il dito? Lo vede che stuzzica? Che prematura anche? Ma allora io le potrei dire, anche con il rispetto per l'autorità, che anche soltanto le due cose come vice-sindaco, capisce?

Vicesindaco? Basta 'osì, mi seguano al commissariato, prego!

No, no, no, attenzione! Noo! Pàstene soppaltate secondo l'articolo 12, abbia pazienza, sennò posterdati, per due, anche un pochino antani in prefettura...

...senza contare che la supercazzola prematurata ha perso i contatti col tarapìa tapiòco.

Que?

/10char

i do not dissagree with what you're doing, just how you're doing it. Just give everyone a set time in which they can play. The wait isn't what's getting everyone upset, it's the...not knowing when...that's aggravating.

THIS SAYS IT ALL!! COPY AND PASTE SO THEY GET THE MESSAGE!

Originally Posted by Kinegos

This isn't a troll, and isn't exactly QQ although there is some of that involved.

I just want to put it down for the record that the way this early access program has been implemented is truly one of the most poorly conceived ideas that I've ever personally encountered in over 25 years of playing video games. I've personally participated in launches of 6 other MMO games, and there is nothing in those experiences that compares to how ridiculous this process is.

When you are dealing with a pre-launch even that is only for pre-order customers, after an extensive and massive beta testing period that was a huge success according to nearly all sources involved - it begs the huge question as to what is the limiting factor in the way you have chosen to roll out this game. I personally participated in the beta in a very limited way (not by choice, mind you, I just wasn't lucky enough to get a key) and was only online during the big Thanksgiving weekend test. That test was wonderful - there were a huge number of servers, and a huge population of testers. The game performance was amazing.

So, EA/BW - what exactly are you afraid of?

The ONLY way this should have been done is to have given ALL pre-orders (perhaps separated only by level of game purchased - i.e. CE customers get 7 days, SE get 5, e.g.) access at exactly the same time. Of course it will overload the servers and queues would ensue and all that - but that's what we all expect. Making your customers wait unknowingly with no idea how long it will be or when to expect an email is just adding insult to injury. A poor alternative would have been to send out emails with a set time and day that your access would be available.

I read in the top post how you are monitoring the server performance and are rolling waves based on server performance. Are you seriously saying you have to wonder at this point if your servers can perform up to the task - when you probably still have 90% of the launch day players yet to even be able to play? That is not at all a good message to be sending at the beginning of an MMO franchise.

At any rate, I love this game. I love BW. But I truly despise and am sickened by the way you chose to put your customers through so much stress for absolutely no good or justifiable reason.

I truly hope you improve, because this is a very very poor way to start out. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY I PLAY A GAME THAT PREFER PLAYER MORE THAN OTHER AND GIVE THEM AN ADVANTGE WHEN ME AND THEM PAY SAME PRICE ALL PLAYER MUST BE ON SAME STATE

NOW SOME PLAYER HAVE AN ADVANTGE OVER THE OTHER

SHAME .

The most sensible explanation I read about all this was that the waves would give everyone the chance to play the starting areas without lagging. Ok, granted... it's a thoughtful way to guarantee an enjoyable gameplay, instead of 300 people competing to kill the same mob.

There is, however, the obvious —and predictable— fact that launching a game in a morning won't bring in enough numbers so soon, considering the already extensively mentioned fact that people work and will only log in when they get home in the evening.

That means the starting areas will only begin clearing of players at about 6-8 hours —the agreed average time people got their shuttles out of the starting area during beta— after early server evening. And that assuming people will play non-stop. By this reason alone, controlling access volume is a fiction.

One of two ways —or both perhaps— should launching have gone through:

1. If the concern is server stability, send invitations freely to everyone entitled to early access, but limit login volume to lower numbers than the projected post-launch numbers. It's a lot better to be in line than to not know at all when you'll be able to log.

2. Determine wave dates and times and, again, send all invitations, so people can get organized. BW would still be able to guarantee server stability by limiting access numbers.

People will always complain about one thing or another, and they'll find something to complain about if there was none in the first place. That's something BW shouldn't concern about.

Bottom line is, as always with the human race, "information". Lack, confusing, truncated, excess, flow, misinformation, you got it for all tastes. Give out the info and let us deal with it in our own terms.

That said, I'm back to checking mail every 5 min.

See you all soon in game, hopefully very soon.

Tarapìa tapiòco! Prematurata la supercazzola, o scherziamo?

Prego?

No, mi permetta. No, io... scusi, noi siamo in quattro. Come se fosse antani anche per lei soltanto in due, oppure in quattro anche scribài con cofandina? Come antifurto, per esempio.

Ma che antifurto, mi faccia il piacere! Questi signori qui stavano sonando loro. 'Un s'intrometta!

No, aspetti, mi porga l'indice; ecco lo alzi così... guardi, guardi, guardi. Lo vede il dito? Lo vede che stuzzica? Che prematura anche? Ma allora io le potrei dire, anche con il rispetto per l'autorità, che anche soltanto le due cose come vice-sindaco, capisce?

Vicesindaco? Basta 'osì, mi seguano al commissariato, prego!

No, no, no, attenzione! Noo! Pàstene soppaltate secondo l'articolo 12, abbia pazienza, sennò posterdati, per due, anche un pochino antani in prefettura...

...senza contare che la supercazzola prematurata ha perso i contatti col tarapìa tapiòco.

Occhio all'uccello paguro

This isn't a troll, and isn't exactly QQ although there is some of that involved.

I just want to put it down for the record that the way this early access program has been implemented is truly one of the most poorly conceived ideas that I've ever personally encountered in over 25 years of playing video games. I've personally participated in launches of 6 other MMO games, and there is nothing in those experiences that compares to how ridiculous this process is.

When you are dealing with a pre-launch even that is only for pre-order customers, after an extensive and massive beta testing period that was a huge success according to nearly all sources involved - it begs the huge question as to what is the limiting factor in the way you have chosen to roll out this game. I personally participated in the beta in a very limited way (not by choice, mind you, I just wasn't lucky enough to get a key) and was only online during the big Thanksgiving weekend test. That test was wonderful - there were a huge number of servers, and a huge population of testers. The game performance was amazing.

The ONLY way this should have been done is to have given ALL pre-orders (perhaps separated only by level of game purchased - i.e. CE customers get 7 days, SE get 5, e.g.) access at exactly the same time. Of course it will overload the servers and queues would ensue and all that - but that's what we all expect. Making your customers wait unknowingly with no idea how long it will be or when to expect an email is just adding insult to injury. A poor alternative would have been to send out emails with a set time and day that your access would be available.

I read in the top post how you are monitoring the server performance and are rolling waves based on server performance. Are you seriously saying you have to wonder at this point if your servers can perform up to the task - when you probably still have 90% of the launch day players yet to even be able to play? That is not at all a good message to be sending at the beginning of an MMO franchise.

At any rate, I love this game. I love BW. But I truly despise and am sickened by the way you chose to put your customers through so much stress for absolutely no good or justifiable reason.

I truly hope you improve, because this is a very very poor way to start out.

Originally Posted by Jaqaliah

Perhaps businesses need to quit exploiting legal loopholes and bird dogging slimy half-declared car sales pitches and start acting like honest men who will live by a simple standard of straight forward ethics. It isn't that "UP TO 5 DAYS" has a meaning that dances on a slippery slope of meaninglessness for legal reasons, but that it is the corporate style of statement making them liable for nothing (no standards, no quality, no efficiency, no customer service, no product support, no honor, and no truth).

When you create expectation MEET IT. When you make a deal, shake on it and MEAN IT.

They stated from the very start of pre-orders that they would be staggering entry into Early Access based on the order in which pre-order codes are registered. Every time they said that, they included a warning to make sure you register early because of that. It was stated on the pre-order pages. It was stated in the pre-order FAQ. It has been discussed over and over and over again on the forums. This is not information that has been kept secret.

When they announced the length of the Early Access period, they stated that the whole pre-order period would be 5 days. It does not take a quad core system with 36Gb of Ram and an Excel Spreadsheet to put together that, if they are staggering access and they only have 5 days to do it in, that some people are not going to get in on the first day if they have enough pre-orders. Therefore, it is a given that people pre-ordering later in the process will not get 5 days of Early Access and if that is not enough of a clue, then saying up to cements it.

They said what they were going to do, and they are doing it. The thing they are not doing is "meeting" the "expectations" of a bunch of wannabe lawyers who assumed that their pre-order meant they would get in on every minute of Early Access despite the fact that Bioware/EA went out of their way to tell you you might not.

Either way, I don't want them to "stick to" their original 5 days. I got in on Early Access this morning despite my assumption that I would probably not get in until tomorrow. If they stick to their "deal" of "up to 5 days," then I am going to miss out on the 7 days of Early Access I will now have.

The only unethical behavior going on here is coming from people like you who want to "alter the deal further" because they cannot stand the fact that they did not get in line early enough and would rather have everyone suffer from long server queues and server crashes and instability than to wait their turn and ensure a smooth launch.

Something that starts bad ends up even worse ... Murphy

Next LotRO i predict :)

In 6 months this game will be free to play with this many pissed off customers , 16 year olds or 40 year olds , still customers.

The fact that those who ordered on 21-22 of july didnt got in is annoying plus the fact that they couldnt release a graph , or to announce everyone when they will get in ... at least by dates of preordering if not personally ...

So many MMOs have lunched till now , but it seems big companies still have things to learn.

No matter what you say/do this will get you more unsatisfied customers than long queue or stability issues.

Dont do a pre-lunch if you cant handle it ....

This formality with "UP TO ..." is something that crooks do in my country at street corner to fool ppl with money ... and rob them.

Well you achived it , you made many pay 5 euro/usd more for 1-2 days extra , and you say you are cheaper than WoW , well you aint sadly , good trick i'd say ...

Many will be left with a bitter taste after this ..

My 2 cents ...

Edit: PS: waves is good if spread over 24 hours , spread over 7 days is crap :)

Edited by Geigon

I truly hope you improve, because this is a very very poor way to start out. ! !

Everybody should just relax.

Yes, I want to play. Some of my friends got in and I didn't...oh well.

So some people are in the game now, playing, leveling, crafting/scavenging/etc.

Will they "dominate" the market...no.

Why?

With 8 character slots per server, you have MORE THAN ENOUGH characters to have ALL crew skills and be able to 'make your own stuff' (new concept to some, I know).

I will hazard to say that *most* of us are NOT game developers....let the developer/manufacturer do their job!

I was in the November stress test, and enjoyed the game. I also got in the last Beta test weekend, and was happy to see some improvements and bug fixes (yes I did see more).

People now a days are way to "me-me-me"...relax, you will get in when you get in.

...and PLEASE stop copying that long post - it is NOT helping you get into the game any faster!!!

Aint it just for so they wont get HUGE Server lag and then they have **** loads of post about Dc and **** ???

WOW .... If they had gameing in the star wars universe , they may have been able to tell at an earlier age weather the child was going to go dark or lightside . the test would be simple . the masters would simply take a class of unpledged fledglings ( from 5 to 12 yrs of age ) and promise them a wonderful game to play in a few months or so. really build it up , make them want it bad, and then when the promised time ( early or not ) came along and the masters did not produce the game in the manner that the fledglings thought appropriate........... oh hell you know where im going ....get over it allready.