Scheduled Maintenance March 23rd

Yndras

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK

I care that they are trying to attract new players. THIS IS GOOD

I care they there f over the paying players to boot out the freeloaders who overstayed there welcome. THIS IS BAD AND COULD HAVE WAITED to normal maintenance.

i also wish you posted in something other then green. Is this some self need to be different?

A freeloader is usually defined as someone who exploits any chance to get free stuff whenever possible. This is not an exploit, it's a marketing strategy.

It's like having a beta, it's a chance to let players see the game before they make the ultimate decision to invest their time and money into it.

It could have waited, but I'm sure with all the work they are dealing with, they're trying to push out the incentives to show that they are progressing in some way.

I post in green because I like to be a little different lol. Though I am thinking of using another color hmm....

I expected your thesis on the Swtor EULA in my inbox. Oh wait, I'm sure you haven't read it, because I haven't.

Naaah... i think you missed it through the "all-the-world-bow-to-the-a*****an-supremacy-godlike-attitude" stuff you have in there...

seriously now, if you'd buy a BMW in US, wouldn't you expect that BMW obey US laws (like for example put a big and inefficient engine)? :p

yes, i'm again being disrespectful... how dare i contradict you...

Correct :) And have to love consumer rights legislation in some of those countries.

It's good that peoples countries look out for them. It saves them from having to actually think and read for themselves so they don't get themselves into a mess.

To those from the Northern Hemisphere - yes, there are people on the other side of the world and wow, our timezone is different. We had to wait for official local ASia/Pacific servers to be able to directly purchase this game, and then we get messed around because we are tied to the same maintenance schedules as US/EU. Some people actually work for a living and only have evenings to play this, so it is a big deal losing 1 or even in this case 2 nights a week.

To the person with the comment about getting laid Friday nights - 9pm is a bit early, and why wait for a Friday?

Might be a good suggestion but I can imagine there are some other issues with that ..

But if you want to post it as a suggestion, i would recommend doing it in another topic... cause i think this one has IGNORE written all over it ^^

Heh, yeah when I started typing it was still a somewhat reasonable discussion; by the time I'd hit preview, then post well... /sigh.

i just realized this.. im actually amazed Bioware managed to keep the forums online while they are "patching" something emergency for fresh freeloaders.. oh wait.. fresh new free weekend players

Hey look its another OH NO I am going to die because SWTOR is having maintenance threads.

if you were paying a sub to a cable TV company and your service was taking down because they messed up a free weekend pass rather than the fact you can never get channel 15,24 and 40 , you would be pissed too lol.

the fact its down isn't a big deal, its the fact its down multiple times outside the actual scheduled for non emergencies is.

the whole "herp derp its not a big deal to me cos its 4am for me anyway/ i'm a casual / i didn't plan to play then anyway" argument is getting old.

what we are paying for and have waited close to half a decade to play is "unavailable" due to mistakes made in the last few weeks, pissing loyal paying players off so you can bring in people on trial accounts is tantamount to an oxy moron, and basically really bad business sense.

Edited by Sayus

It's good that peoples countries look out for them. It saves them from having to actually think and read for themselves so they don't get themselves into a mess.

LOL...

YOU talk about the government encouraging blind obedience? YOU...

didn't ever think this day would come. You lecturing us (beside how we should spend our evening and such) about brainwashing governments...

Well it does make my job some what simpler when everyone knows what some of the binding obligations are. And if you knew about the NZ CGA (and its replacement currently in the House) you'd probably want the same rights where you are.

Naaah... i think you missed it through the "all-the-world-bow-to-the-a*****an-supremacy-godlike-attitude" stuff you have in there...

seriously now, if you'd buy a BMW in US, wouldn't you expect that BMW obey US laws (like for example put a big and inefficient engine)? :p

yes, i'm again being disrespectful... how dare i contradict you...

No, because I would research the product I am buying if I was worried it would be an issue, and knowing that a foreign car is made in a foreign country. I would expect to want the class and luxury of the car. Otherwise, it wouldn't be a BMW.

To those from the Northern Hemisphere - yes, there are people on the other side of the world and wow, our timezone is different. We had to wait for official local ASia/Pacific servers to be able to directly purchase this game, and then we get messed around because we are tied to the same maintenance schedules as US/EU. Some people actually work for a living and only have evenings to play this, so it is a big deal losing 1 or even in this case 2 nights a week.

To the person with the comment about getting laid Friday nights - 9pm is a bit early, and why wait for a Friday?

Northern/Souther hemispheres share the same time zone mate. It's when you go around the globe that you get different time zones. But I understand what you're saying.

Oooooh, they just edited the patch notes to make it not JUST about the free weekend, lol

1.1.5d Patch Notes

3/23/2012

General

Implemented changes to improve overall server stability.

PvP

Voidstar

Players will no longer be able to exit the starting area earlier than intended.

http://www.swtor.com/patchnotes/1.1.5d/3232012

I think I just worked out why these take 4+ hours... in the last 30mins it has gone from patch 1.1.5c (with just the changes under 'general'!), to 1.1.5d (now including the small PVP change)... they couldn't seriously be doing agile development during these maintenance windows could they... are they on a 1hr sprint cycle or something? hourly scrums?

(this just gets more insane the more you look... best to avert your eyes I think).

EDIT: Ok... seems like they only just updated the patch notes now - the 1.1.5c was from Tuesday's 'maintenance'... so maybe not quite so extreme, but still think they have the agile development thing going ;)

The Old Republic ‏ @SWTOR

@paul80990931 The notes will not be available until after the patching occurs. When they're up, they will be on http://bit.ly/v9Rd2U

from swtor twitter site

quoted from EA's Terms of service

IMPORTANT: EA MAY FIND IT NECESSARY TO UPDATE, OR RESET CERTAIN PARAMETERS TO BALANCE GAME PLAY AND USAGE OF EA SERVICES. THESE UPDATES OR "RESETS" MAY CAUSE YOU SETBACKS WITHIN THE RELEVANT GAME WORLD AND MAY AFFECT CHARACTERS, GAMES, GROUPS OR OTHER ENTITLEMENTS UNDER YOUR CONTROL. EA RESERVES THE RIGHT TO MAKE THESE UPDATES AND IS NOT LIABLE TO YOU FOR THESE CHANGES.

Does this suck for you? Yes. I truly feel for you. But whining about it will accomplish nothing.

LMFAO. How cute, you think that complaining to a company doesn't have an effect on their product.

First, remember that TUESDAY is maintenance time. OP probably works around that downtime, so the servers going down in the middle of your pre-planned gaming schedule sucks. Unscheduled maintenance like this is BS anyway. Either it's an emergency or it can wait til Tuesday. Usually random unscheduled maintenance happens when they find a player exploit they missed, so it's not going to down the servers, but it's urgent to BW.

Second, trolls can call it QQ if they want, it doesn't change the fact that you need to speak up if you feel you are being treated unfairly. OP has EVERY RIGHT to be upset -- and in a capitalist society, EVERY RIGHT to complain. Further, complaining to a company is VERY effective. It's just a matter of how many complaints they get. I assume there's more than 1 person in OP's region who plays TOR. I assume they are also unhappy with their prime gaming time being interrupted by unscheduled maintenance.

This forum is specifically for (partly) complaining, so to come in here and say stop complaining means you're a Jack*****.

Third, why am I writing this? I don't care about trolls, they're trolls! Wrote too much to discard but I'll just stop. This is a waste of my time -- just realized it now...

Edited by Dedic

LOL...

YOU talk about the government encouraging blind obedience? YOU...

didn't ever think this day would come. You lecturing us (beside how we should spend our evening and such) about brainwashing governments...

To be fair, I never said how someone should spend their evening, I said what I would be doing. also, I'm so sorry I asked people to be free thinkers. Shame on me.

Edited by DuckPirate

ya.. just saw them on yuotube.. shoulders are massive.. but hey..nothing wrong with BIG shoulders..

I just wanna stagger around as a drunken panda master

Lol tell me about it. A new class is always fun. What I'm excited to see is the Warlock set, warlocks usually have the coolest and most unique sets. Always something to anticipate.

Are you serious? The state of the art is your main competition. They have 15 minute ROLLING outages at the moment, with complete downtime only for major content patches.

THAT is what you are competing against. I do not CARE what is in your TOS. If I want to play an MMO, then you are competing against that, like it or not. Don't hide behind you TOS, that is not the issue - you are not the government, and I do not have to pay taxes to you.

I'm not really understanding what you're saying, however the same Terms of Services I and everyone else on these forums agreed to before playing this game are the same exact Terms you clicked 'Agree' on. You aren't the special one out. Everyone will get screwed over one way or another, I'm not saying that you should suck it up because the TOS says so, but if you're experienced in MMOs, you should know what to expect.

IMPORTANT: EA MAY FIND IT NECESSARY TO UPDATE, OR RESET CERTAIN PARAMETERS TO BALANCE GAME PLAY AND USAGE OF EA SERVICES. THESE UPDATES OR "RESETS" MAY CAUSE YOU SETBACKS WITHIN THE RELEVANT GAME WORLD AND MAY AFFECT CHARACTERS, GAMES, GROUPS OR OTHER ENTITLEMENTS UNDER YOUR CONTROL. EA RESERVES THE RIGHT TO MAKE THESE UPDATES AND IS NOT LIABLE TO YOU FOR THESE CHANGES.

Again, those of us affected DO NOT CARE what is written in the TOS. We have other choices. In fact why am I typing this at all. Bye....

You'll find that many service suppliers, as EA are in this respect, will actually contract out of giving you what most people would consider a reasonable level of service, as if paying for the service was your way of helping them try to supply a service.

It's not about whether than can legally perform maintenance, they need to and most of us understand that, it's the timing. While they have the right to do maintenance, we have the right to discuss it :)

If only I could make the same claim to my employer.

Oh sometimes I'll have days that I don't want to come in to work. So I wont. But it wont be under your control and I reserve the right to this.

They can't hide behind this paragraph.