The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Vandguard DPS

djluxi

Hello. i m new to the game and still trying to find my class. I have a question about vanguard dps. Is it viable in end game pve, cause i m not much of a tank and mostly play pvp, but i do enjoy ocasionally to do some pve stuff. Also what tree is best for pve dps and what for pvp. thx guys and may the force be with you.

Yes it is very viable because you are very mobile. Unlike the Commando, the Vanguard can use most of his abilities while on the move. I like the Assault tree for PVE and from what i have seen most people like the Tank tree for PVP.

assault works very well in pvp as long as you dont get focused. if you get focused get ready to respawn.

I've got 4pc rakata, rest bm and run assault 7/3/31, i blow people up like its my job because in this spec it is. The other side of this is that if i get focused by more then 1 person i'ma die.

I've got not issues with dieing and it happens quite frequently, i've played against guildies in huttball and they tell me that i hit stupid hard and am one of the squishier targets.

all spec's are viable in pvp, its just a matter of preference with regards to wanting to live/protect or kill/die.

I often hear about Vanguard DPS being low. However as a Vanguard DPS. I respecced as my Guild had enough Tanks. At first I was hesitant as I had the ol "Trooper DPS is Commando". I have since found this not to be the case.

I have a build similar to the above and I can tell you. You will be able to hold your own. You are in fact better than most DPS. You can DPS from Medium Range. You can DPS on the Move. You do need a certain playstyle and one which I have had to adapt.

In Vanguard DPS you are not standing still. In PvE or PvP. Where a Commando may plant their feet and unleash we are running around in the thick. HiB will be your best friend. With Ignite in action (Another ranged ability) you can and will deal a lot of damage. However, as mentioned above if you get focussed on. e.g 2 * Sorcerers (I hate Sorcerers)) you will most likely die. I have found our strength in PvP is the DPS assist. Look for targets of opportunity. ie ones already damaged who are occupied with melee. Then you Open up on them. After they are done. Find another and rinse and repeat. Do this and use your taunts and you will not only do great damage but you will get protection as well.