The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Question about AP.

Domiinick

I know the general consensus between powertechs and vanguards is that Tactics/AP is just a wash of a spec.

With 1.2, it comes with a few quality of life improvements, such as the prototype flamethrower aoe slow, as well as the slow on Retractable Blade.

I'm wondering to people who have more experience as Powertech, how AP preforms as.. not so much of a damage dealer in pvp, as more of a distraction as well as a healer annoyer. I figure with the cheap damage, quick interrupts, as well as some decent improvements to aoe and some control, they'd be pretty good with 1.2.

Again, I'm not looking for break-neck damage, that's not why I play a powertech, just wondering how AP stacks up to say a Shield Tech hybrid in that sense.

A lotta folks hate AP since it's not tanky like Iron Fist, or burst heavy like pyro. I prefer AP now that I've been using it. It's great on heat management, and has some great survivability tools.

I wouldn't advise using it until you've gotten full centurion gear and a piece or two of champ though.

I went 8/31/2 with mine, getting the -20% damage when stunned talent is great for 1v1, it's like a free Energy Shield, and if you popped your ES before you got stunned, well, I've had 3 people beating on me who didn't take me down past half health, still passed the huttball after that.

Hydraulic Overrides, 8 seconds of snare/physics immunity, can't be grappled into the acid or fire, ideal for the guy picking up the huttball.

As far as dps is concerned, it's less than pyro, but it's more dependable. When I need a string of crits, pop explosive fuel and Immolate(3.4k crit), Rocket Punch(2.5k crit), Retractable Blade(1.2k crit + dot), Rail Shot(3.4k crit), Flame Burst(2k crits) as filler or range demands.

Going pyro the openers are always Thermal Detonator (3.5k crit), Incendiary Missile (1k crit + dot), Rail Shot (3.7k crit), Flame Burst (1.4k crit), Rocket Punch (2.5k crit), pray for a proc for PPA, no proc, Rapid Shots, Flame Burst until proc or RP reset.

I think AP was originally going to be the shared tree between the BH ACs. If so I would play one hands down for all that + some self heals.

The trees have been the same for a while. The only thing is that the names were switched; the "AP" tree we have now was always PT-only (it's a melee tree after all) but it used to be called Firebug (now PyroTech).

And like Orsian said, AP damage is dependable and awesome. No praying on procs or Heat issues at all.

Edited by Mapex