Feedback request from James Ohlen: PvP

StephenReid

Keep the expertise as it looks now.

Separate gear for PvE and PvP is a good idea imo. Also keep the valor requirement.

How the hell a new 50 can be able to wear the same armor as someone who has 70+ valor and is a true PvP grinder. We work hard to win, we work hard to get better gear.

Giving stuff for free is stupid. They`ll get it and leave since there is no goal anymore.

Getting top lvl tier of PvP gear must be hard, u need to play a lot and win a lot. Not just participate.

Those titles should mean something: Battlemaster is a master of Battle, not a noob at 50 that played 10WZ and bought a BM Lightsaber. He should use recruit gear.

Same with War Hero. Damn, War Hero for everyone? No matter how much you played?

Let us grind, we like it. When I see a War Hero I want to be one myself.

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More warzone

The best gametype i would like to see is a Conquest Warzone (like alterac on wow), or something thats take 20min+ a real battle, when you win a huttball, 5-8min with a good team, thats only a "fastfood pvp".

There is many gametype to make or remake with a genius touch. I like huttball because of that. But your 10, 20, 30 first huttball still funny, but sometimes we get tired of playing this gametype.

A pvp area with good objective (unlike illum... you control de middle you can farm your wargear waaaa man cool :rolleyes:)

Something like base attack/defend with some npc to gard it (like fortress on DAOC)

Feel some SIEGE immersive battle, as we played on DAOC.

For me personaly, my pvp probably stop after 1.2. I see some screenshot form the war hero gear... that's ugly, and i still think and hope thats a joke.

Anyway your gear disgner must be put in jail !

*An idea copied from a guildie*

What would be really nice is an epic progression warzone(open world zone) that has things you can spawn and send to certain points(IE NPC mobs). Defenses you can build like automated turrets, or anti stealth zones, or heal towers. Things like that could really change the dynamic of a game.

^^ THIS!

Sounds a bit like city invasions in SWG, and there has been a lot of fun in them for PVPers AND PVEers.

It would also add to the emotional binding to the storyline, if ppl attack/defend places they already know from their history in the game.

I also suggest a ranking system with military faction ranks, which you can gain and lose depending on your activity in the war (kills, valor, etc.)

Make the MVP voting for the opposite team. It is easier to see who was doing well when playing against you, will stop players from just voting for guildies/friends, and will encouraging voters by seeing if anyone on the opposite team felt they were an impact on the match.

Lots of good suggestions in here. I tweeted to him to lower the resolve cap. There's way too much CCing going on in PvP.

Other great choices involve more maps and just expanding the value of open world PvP in general. Link merc comms to open world kills - on a griefing timer of course.

I didn't bother with "Fix Ilum" simply because that's a given. They know this. I took this thread to mean "what can we fix in the short term to make the PvP experience better"

Those of you crying about expertise, suck it up and earn it yourself. It's not that bad. Get better, not bitter.

Edited by islander

More WZ maps

No gear progression in pvp. Keep pvp gear equal in power, but add more items to allow more variation in stat-distribution.

(Pvp dies over time with gear progression since new players can't compete so they soon stop playing. No new players = limited PvP lifespan)

I am a bit different from the other posters here, as I have NOT PvPed at all yet.

And the fact is, I feel like it's too late to start. I am level 50, and if I start PvPing now, I will be forced to play in this level 50 warzone bracket, filled with 50s who are valor 65 and suited up in PvP gear.

I have nothing against PvPing, but I don't see a point in trying if I am not going to stand a chance. That is a bad experience I've had in previous MMOs. I would reach the end-game PvP bracket, and then just suck and die over and over because I don't have the equipment to compete.

Previously in SWTOR, there was no level 50 bracket. All players of all levels could be matched up against each other. I loved that idea. Then you never know if you will face strong opponants or weak ones. That I could have jumped into. But now if I want to try PvP I will be stuck facing the best players every time.

So if there was one thing I would change about PvP, I would make it less intimidating for people like me. Give me reason to believe I stand a chance in the 50 PvP bracket.

Why can a person with Rakata gear out perform a person with Battle Master Gear in PVP?

Explain to me the purpose of Valor and Expertise it they are rendered useless by fully geared Rakata geared players?

Explain to me why all my work at 78 Valor is useless against a Rakata geared player?

The solution is Expertise should provide 20% bonus in Damage/Healing/Damage Reduction!

I'll have to join the chorus of voices asking for:

A meaningful open-world PvP campaign.

Think DAoC relic raids, and read the GW2 marketing material; then add WAR accessibility. The Star Wars universe is supposed to have millions of worlds, so entire planets could change hands, but even just the building canyons on Nar Shadaa would make for good areas! Not having such a thing in a Star Wars setting is a complete and utter waste of the license.

That element ranks about equally high on my list as real social, i.e., non-combat content.

That`s it.

All other suggestions are rubbish.

People writing in this thread about balance issues or anything like that. Sry you really don`t have any clue.

I am a bit different from the other posters here, as I have NOT PvPed at all yet.

And the fact is, I feel like it's too late to start. I am level 50, and if I start PvPing now, I will be forced to play in this level 50 warzone bracket, filled with 50s who are valor 65 and suited up in PvP gear.

I have nothing against PvPing, but I don't see a point in trying if I am not going to stand a chance. That is a bad experience I've had in previous MMOs. I would reach the end-game PvP bracket, and then just suck and die over and over because I don't have the equipment to compete.

Previously in SWTOR, there was no level 50 bracket. All players of all levels could be matched up against each other. I loved that idea. Then you never know if you will face strong opponants or weak ones. That I could have jumped into. But now if I want to try PvP I will be stuck facing the best players every time.

So if there was one thing I would change about PvP, I would make it less intimidating for people like me. Give me reason to believe I stand a chance in the 50 PvP bracket.

I did it. I started from valor level 3. Seriously.

Now I'm valor 55, full champion gear. I'd go higher in valor but currently there's no point in light of the 1.2 changes.

You can actually get yourself around 150 expertise fast. it's not as daunting as it appears, if you take advantage of everything you've got. Use WZ comms to buy those expertise enhancement mods. Buy yourself a level 50 pvp color csytal - that's 41 expertise alone. Once you get to about 300 expertise, you'll be considerably more durable. I'm at about 540 now.

Queue with guildmates, they'll help carry you. Trust me, you'll develop into a better PvPer in the longer term for it.

Edited by islander

Why can a person with Rakata gear out perform a person with Battle Master Gear in PVP?

Explain to me the purpose of Valor and Expertise it they are rendered useless by fully geared Rakata geared players?

Explain to me why all my work at 78 Valor is useless against a Rakata geared player?

The solution is Expertise should provide 20% bonus in Damage/Healing/Damage Reduction!

No offense, but if you're valor 78 and getting beat by low expetise people, I don't know how you managed to get to rank 78 to begin with. On the coattails of others, I suspect.

No offense, but if you're valor 78 and getting beat by low expetise people, I don't know how you managed to get to rank 78 to begin with. On the coattails of others, I suspect.

There is a simple answer to that. Rakata geared dps with mods has a way better dps, but way less armor due to lack of expertise. Therefore the subjective feeling that Rakata is better. It dps`es more but survives less.

I`m teamed up as a Healer with a Rakata modified DPS and we are a deadly combo. He can whipe out 2-3ppl while I just need to keep him alive.

First of all, you can't ask for just "one" thing. There are too many problems with PvP to just restrict it to one. That said, I understand wanting to keep posts short to better review them so I'll restrict mine to 3 items with the caveat that there are way more things I'd like to see changed.

1-Put the wars back in Star Wars. Open world PvP has been a joke for months now. It was actually better pre 1.1.0 when players were able to prevent trading nodes by killing "friendly" opposite faction members. Change (and add more) OWPvP areas to be objective/control based that has effects on both factions. Look tp games like DAOC and Warhammer for examples.

2-Remove expertise and replace it with a skill point based PvP tree. This tree would essentially create a personal buff for use in WZ's, dedicated PvP areas, and whenever you are attacked by another player (auto apply buff). Skills could include some of the same benefits as expertise and more such as armor increase, combat modifiers such as crit/surge, and AC based ability buffs like reduced cooldowns or ability modifiers. An example of an ability modifier could be changing the BH ability Jet Boost to add a root instead of a slow.

3-Find a way to change factions. Honestly, there are players that would like to switch factions to create better balance on servers but don't want to regrind gear/valor/etc. All AC's are mirrors anyway, and most if not all gear is duplicated on the opposite faction. Only allow faction swaps for mirrors (IE BH Mercenary to Trooper Commando) and just replace gear with the opposing factions equivalent.

Ok so I lied. I'll actually list a fourth.

4-Fix resolve. While not as bad as when I first started beta back in June '10, it still has issues. Many forms of CC need to be added to fill resolve and some just flat out ignore resolve (leap/charge and all roots/slows). There's nothing worse for a melee character than to run up to a sniper (since you cant use a gap closer on them), get knocked back and rooted, and die because resolve didn't kick in from the root. There are other classes affected by the terrible resolve design but that's just one example.

Promote open world PVP and Galactic adventuring... we need PVP objectives, factional presence related tasks and fun, there is absolutely no reason to go and adventure in the galaxy after you've quested... What a waste of 16+ Planets? at 50 my play-time consists of Standing on the Fleet and every so often doing one of three Warzones. I want to be able to go anywhere and experience new things each time, see people somewhere other than on the fleet, this world needs to OPEN UP!!!!!!!!! Its not an MMO when you have a hub and 3 warzones!

I think better signalling would be an improvement, and different roles that could be assigned via the ops leader. Maybe even signaling via a local map. Things like 'defend this point' or a 'i need a healer' style ping with a marker on the map or a beam like a huttball carrier.

So there could be 3-4 rank/titles or roles that could could each have unique or graduated signaling abilities.

There is a simple answer to that. Rakata geared dps with mods has a way better dps, but way less armor due to lack of expertise. Therefore the subjective feeling that Rakata is better. It dps`es more but survives less.

I`m teamed up as a Healer with a Rakata modified DPS and we are a deadly combo. He can whipe out 2-3ppl while I just need to keep him alive.

You recall expertise influence both input and output, right?

Not to mention healing incoming, in the case of a healer class.

Originally Posted by Laurreth

I'll have to join the chorus of voices asking for:

A meaningful open-world PvP campaign.

Think DAoC relic raids, and read the GW2 marketing material; then add WAR accessibility. The Star Wars universe is supposed to have millions of worlds, so entire planets could change hands, but even just the building canyons on Nar Shadaa would make for good areas! Not having such a thing in a Star Wars setting is a complete and utter waste of the license.

That element ranks about equally high on my list as real social, i.e., non-combat content.

This.

So much money has been spent making this game. A bit more effort in the world PVP area would have been nice.

IMO:

1) Reward for playing PvP and winning is Valor and Gear. The more you play and the more you win the stronger you become. This is leveling

2) To keep it competetive you should be matched with players from the same Valor group 1-20, 20-40, 40-50, 50-60, 60+. This way you won`t have issues with new 50s playing with WarHeroes.

3) You can grind valor and gear in WZ, Open World, Areas.

4) In the Open World if you have valor 30 and you meet a War Hero you die. Simple. Same as if lvl 15 meets with 50.

5) We need objectives and areas to control to give us more upperhand in the WAR that is called Star Wars.

Life is about grinding, working hard. I work 40+ hours a week and I don`t want BW to give anything to me for free. I know that other ppl have more time. Good for them. I`m even more happy to reach my goals.

I must say i would love a Isle of Quel Danas but for both factions to progress as a pvp campaign and then in the center of the world you would be fighthing for control over the other faction´s area so it would be dynamic and fun world pvp.

Just my two cents.

PS: sry for bad english, engilsh is not native language.

Edited by Carzem

We need large scale pvp (without lag) and a reason to do so :)

I would like to see some AV type battleground & a large outdoor pvp area with objectives and some reward to do so, maby some reputation/notority you could earn in the area giving some epic rewards, this is something people would fight to get, but for all this to happen i suggest giving republics a 20% experience boost in order to attract more people solving the balance problems.

Make warzones that are less about objectives and more about fighting. I've played in so many warzones where the side I was on destroyed them 50-10 kills. But because they had so many tanky people we couldn'y kill them fast enough to take a point in alderaan before they respawned of plant the bomb in voidstar.

Some of the best scs in warhammer were with rotating flags, but instead of clicking and capturing them, have an area you stand in, like battlefield, and thats they way you capture it. Also to make it go faster have kills contribute to reducing the number to 0, and kills within the captured flag area count more for the team that controls the flag. And make it so that the team has to stay in the capture area or the flag will uncap.

Or even better have two flags that rotate around the warzone, but if the team that has the flag is outnumbered then it starts to uncap.