healing self?

MrMidas

Hi folks.

A big deciding factor for me with merc v powertech is how effective a merc would be at healing themselves (without putting points in a medicine tree).

I am thinking with the focus on ranged damage and the ability to sit back and keep yourself healed would win out.

However, what works best in PvP? Merc or PT? (I PvP a little and prefer to build for that even if i spend most time PvE).

Thanks!

you will NEVER be able to heal yourself mid-fight in pvp.

you can to a degree of success, heal other players, but not well, and certainly not for long.

if you want to pvp, pick powertech, I wish I had done that.

better damage, more tanky, less deaths, cooler abilities.

my options as a merc are

SELF-ROOTED damage, which is not bad, if they ever let you freecast (arsenal)

DOT damage, which is MUCH worse than the Powertech version.

HEALING, no damage, which pre 1.2 is pretty insane, but dont expect you can do anything else, and dont expect kind words from people you play against unless you spec pyro.

Edited by KKaae

you will NEVER be able to heal yourself mid-fight in pvp.

you can to a degree of success, heal other players, but not well, and certainly not for long.

if you want to pvp, pick powertech, I wish I had done that.

better damage, more tanky, less deaths, cooler abilities.

my options as a merc are

SELF-ROOTED damage, which is not bad, if they ever let you freecast (arsenal)

DOT damage, which is MUCH worse than the Powertech version.

HEALING, no damage, which pre 1.2 is pretty insane, but dont expect you can do anything else, and dont expect kind words from people you play against unless you spec pyro.

Not all true. Hybrid heal-dps spec is capable of excellent self heals whilst still doing very good dps with tracer, rail, unload. It's the most powerful spec available to mercs atm. The healing nerf is coming soon, but I don't think it will affect the hybrid spec TOO much, we'll have to see.

If you're full DPS spec then yeah you can't stand there in the middle of the action and heal, the heals are more useful for ducking around corners to top yourself up, it's not heat friendly at all though.

Not all true. Hybrid heal-dps spec is capable of excellent self heals whilst still doing very good dps with tracer, rail, unload. It's the most powerful spec available to mercs atm. The healing nerf is coming soon, but I don't think it will affect the hybrid spec TOO much, we'll have to see.

If you're full DPS spec then yeah you can't stand there in the middle of the action and heal, the heals are more useful for ducking around corners to top yourself up, it's not heat friendly at all though.

i pretty much agree with this.

Without points in the Bodyguard tree, it simply takes too long to cast your heals in the heat of battle. The heat buildup is also insane. And in PVP you are always in battle. So as a full spec dps, those heals are more for topping off. But my experience is that as soon as you turn a corner to heal up you always end up with another member of the opposing team in your face.

Back in my Arsenal days I hardly ever had the opportunity to use the heals in PVP. And while in PVE, I found I didn't need them either. You are better off simply healing between fights and using the occasional medpack than trying to cast some long timed heal spells that simply don't seem to heal enough to make a difference.

The basic thing to understand here is, your dmg abilities generate heat and take at the least a global cooldown to use, so do your heals. So your going to be able to do one or the other, stand back and rain dmg on your foe or stand back and rain heals on your self, as a pryo, with decent gear and a spec that sees some points into some healing boosts, I can pull off 2-4k heals depending on crits, all the time ppl are beating on me, I eventually run too high heat and die with them at full health, or I can dps them and hope to kill them before they kill me.

My $0.02 and seriously thats all its worth since I am terribad at pvp. Power Tech version of Pyro is better for PvP than Merc because it has more synergy IMO.

However, you said you will mostly PvE? Then Merc is probably better especilly if you may ever want to play a healer.

As a Merc Pyro, you do have healing abilities, but your cant really spec enough into them to make them worth casting on say your Huttball carrier or on you while getting beat on. Your healing abilities are best used if you escape and hide arouund a corner and heal quick then re-engage.

With the 1.2 changes, PT-Pyro heat venting and burst are also taking a nerf (6s cooldown on railshot procs). Also, the Shield/Pyro spec is gone because you can't get railshot procs with Ion cylinder.

Basically, play PT if you want to DPS melee or Tank

Play Merc if you want to DPS ranged or heal

A merc's ability to self-heal is dramatically underrated by most players. But that's also because most players don't put the two points into med tech because they prioritize lolcrit. If you're good and aware of your surroundings, it really isn't hard to sneak in a heal or two when you or an ally need them, and they can make all the difference in a skirmish. Can't tell you how many mercs I see ending WZs with 10k or less healing but 6+ deaths while I end it with 1-2 deaths and 60k+ healing, often healing a flag carrier or healer through trouble when needed.