Avoiding Disaster

Arrogus

Roll another class is indeed a solution. You have 8 toon slots, do something with them.

Like I said, some of us play for flavor, I simply could not enjoy myself as much on some classes as on others, ie. killing people with lightning is much more fun for me than shooting them with a blaster. Care to address the hypothetical situation I posited?

It seems so positively easy, just have abilities perform differently on players verses non players. On non player (NPC), ability x hits for y on player, ability x hits for z. How freaking hard is that?

They already do that on some abilities, conconsion missle lasts 60 seconds on mobs and 8 secs on players, so they can do it for any abilities they want to balance for PvP.

That would work as well and I would fully support such a change.

And expertise does not solve this because it's a flat change which ignores the more subtle differences between PVE and PVP.

I may have been a bit unclear in my OP, I am proposing that there are two separate skill trees, one for PVP, and the other for PVE, both of which a player fills just like the current tree, and both of which can be switched between voluntarily at any time.

I may need to clarify further: two sets of skill trees, thus three trees for PVP, and three for PVE.

You are trying to avoid sweeping, drastic changes, by suggesting... sweeping, drastic changes.

It's the substance of the change which is important. My proposal could literally be implemented without changing anything in terms of combat. I really don't see what problem you could have with segregating PVP from PVE, other than it being more work for "poor old Bioware."

What would you put into separate PvP Trees? I'd reckon that a lot of filler would be talents that already exist within the current trees.

The final trees would probably look VASTLY similar, if not outright identical.

There are, within a tree, talents you take for PvP, and talents you take for PvE. You don't have to take them all, and you end up with a tree that is optimized for whichever one you are doing.

Am I really explaining this?

What would you put into separate PvP Trees? I'd reckon that a lot of filler would be talents that already exist within the current trees.

The final trees would probably look VASTLY similar, if not outright identical.

There are, within a tree, talents you take for PvP, and talents you take for PvE. You don't have to take them all, and you end up with a tree that is optimized for whichever one you are doing.

Am I really explaining this?

They would be quite similar, but they would have room for talents which would be broken in the other combat style. Am I really explaining this?

They would be quite similar, but they would have room for talents which would be broken in the other combat style. Am I really explaining this?

You are, but you're not making sense.

Edited by Arlanon

This^^. If they are powers that are broken for the combat style of your choice, don't pick them. Do you need to have an extra 2 seconds of root on a pve mob? No. So pick something else that you do need.

By "broken" I mean overpowered.

The game SHOULD be designed around PvP balance FIRST and then PvE.

You could use a bolster in PvE to increase everyone's power for raids.

Then you coudl also avoid needing 2 different gear sets and make rewards for PvP and PvE the same.

Interesting idea.