The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Storm animation fail + work around

the_coaltrain

----Fail----

Storm animation can get hung up plenty of times. Short distances seem to slow you down making the run part of the animation complete. Sometimes I go to storm a healer casting and I'm either late arriving or it just seems like the interrupt portion of storm is not working.

----Workaround----

Hit your Storm button followed immpediately by either taunt and you will instant pop to your landing location. Seems to work like a charm but takes a little practice. Not sure if that's as intended but since Storm seems to not work as intended I figure all's fair in love and swtor.

==WARNING==

I mean it when I say practice this. You can get your character stuck. If you time the taunt too quickly after the storm or almost at the same time since it's off GCD, your character will have an invisible wall he/she cannot cross. You will be stuck running around a small area until you are pulled away or Storm another target. So do be careful.

I hope this helps. I found it a rather helpful trick to deal with my Storm frustrations.

I dont understand why everyone thinks Storm is broken.

It seems to make sense from a balance point of view that no matter how far away your target is, it takes the same amount of time to get there. It's an optical illusion that you're "going slower" because the ability takes the same amount of time if you're 10m or 30m away.

And the interrupt wouldnt be affected by this since the interrupt occurs when you activate the ability, not when you arrive at the target.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe you were trying to interrupt a healer with a talent/ability that provided them immunity to interrupts for either that specific spell or for a short duration?

I've never had a problem with Storm. I cant understand why people are upset about something that works when we should be more concerned with how bad the UI is. I would much rather have Storm "as is" rather than try some goofy workaround that can glitch my toon into being stuck behind an invisible wall.

Edited by Pearnicious

I dont understand why everyone thinks Storm is broken.

It seems to make sense from a balance point of view that no matter how far away your target is, it takes the same amount of time to get there. It's an optical illusion that you're "going slower" because the ability takes the same amount of time if you're 10m or 30m away.

And the interrupt wouldnt be affected by this since the interrupt occurs when you activate the ability, not when you arrive at the target.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe you were trying to interrupt a healer with a talent/ability that provided them immunity to interrupts for either that specific spell or for a short duration?

I've never had a problem with Storm. I cant understand why people are upset about something that works when we should be more concerned with how bad the UI is. I would much rather have Storm "as is" rather than try some goofy workaround that can glitch my toon into being stuck behind an invisible wall.

I just came in to give some people a tip for a problem they may incur... I was not expecting to incur your wraith. It was a simple fix for problems that do occur with storm. But since you ask good sir:

1. I've actually had storm on several occasion be slowed while I'm in the air by another ablility and take far longer to get there than walking the distance while slowed. It's not an optical illusion, it's a matter of actual time. Just because you never encounter an issue doesn't make you smarter or more skillful a player. You just don't have the issue. Enough said.

2. I have one of every class and have several 50's and higher levels. I know which classes have immunity and when, like when shield/bubbles are up. I find the fact interesting you say the interrupt occurs when I activate the aiblity when it is widely known you hit a button on a trooper and you wait for an animation to activiate long before an action takes place.

3. I don't care that you are more concerned with the UI. Make a post about the UI and give your opinion there.

4. It is just an option for people to try, glitch or not. People like testing things out and someone may shed some light on why my work around glitches, at least I gave the information up front instead of letting someone else find out the hard way. Or if someone has gotten stuck like that and did not know why, now they may have the solution. In which case taunt then storm if you like.

Edited by the_coaltrain

Pearnicious and Hizoka are idiots, ignore them. Storm animation delay has been reported for quite a while. In fact, you can actually reach your target faster simply running towards him than Storming from minimum range. By the way, the BH counterpart doesn't have the same delay because their animation is much quicker.