The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PvE DPS

DarthBaldr

So I respecced my Vanguard for PvP a while back, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for Dpsing as a vanguard in PvE. Builds, rotations, stats, etc...

To be honest I've found that every PVP build I have tried has been more than adequate for PVE...

Rotations don't change very much either, except how the rotation starts depends on type of enemy and number of them you are fighting.

I'm SS Vangaurd for PVP and I often can do more PVE damage than supposed "Jedi DPSers"

While I am soloing Heroic's I find that often I am helping Jedi's who can't even get through their class missions alone. The other day I helped one, who after thanking me remarked "hey I thought I was supposed to be DPS"

Edited by Cheeseblaster

So I respecced my Vanguard for PvP a while back, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for Dpsing as a vanguard in PvE. Builds, rotations, stats, etc...

The trick is to remember that you're aiming for sustained DPS, not burst DPS. A lot of PvP builds are PvE-friendly, though Assault frequently takes the 31-point Assault builds and puts points in Tactics/Shield for useful lower-tier stuff, leaving you x/x/28 or x/x/25- since you don't really need Assault Plastique in PvE play.

Assault can do just fine with SS + Ion Pulse as they come up, alternating with Hammer Shots as you go and taking every HIB proc off Accelerator when you get it. Tactics I'd leave to someone more used to using it.

http://www.ign.com/builds/star-wars-the-old-republic?class=vanguard&d=00000000000000300320000000000000120020300003223021232032 is a simple 8/8/25 Assault PvE build- some people will pull 3 points from that to put in Burnout, but I find that works great for me.

The trick is to remember that you're aiming for sustained DPS, not burst DPS. A lot of PvP builds are PvE-friendly, though Assault frequently takes the 31-point Assault builds and puts points in Tactics/Shield for useful lower-tier stuff, leaving you x/x/28 or x/x/25- since you don't really need Assault Plastique in PvE play.

Not to attack your opinion but several fights in Ops can benefit from burst dps over sustained.. IMO. In EV for example because it is the one I am familiar with.

Pylons have packs that spawn that must die quickly.

Soa has several levels where you will be switching from Boss to other targets like mind traps which need to die fast. And Soa himself has a limited non bubble duration on final phase to dps him b/t each stone drop.

First boss (name??) if you are building stacks of ion pulse for pulse cannon for tactics build for example, you may find the buff of stacks runs out after all your hard work (could be I just wasn't able to do it successfully myself. And also x5 isn't always best.

2nd boss (fire pit) I would say debatable either way.

Not to attack your opinion but several fights in Ops can benefit from burst dps over sustained.. IMO. In EV for example because it is the one I am familiar with.

Pylons have packs that spawn that must die quickly.

Soa has several levels where you will be switching from Boss to other targets like mind traps which need to die fast. And Soa himself has a limited non bubble duration on final phase to dps him b/t each stone drop.

First boss (name??) if you are building stacks of ion pulse for pulse cannon for tactics build for example, you may find the buff of stacks runs out after all your hard work (could be I just wasn't able to do it successfully myself. And also x5 isn't always best.

2nd boss (fire pit) I would say debatable either way.

Sustained is ALWAYS better then burst overall for raiding... 1 or 2 gimick fights are not worth swaping specs for. and if you have saying tactics is bad because you fail at it doesn't make the spec bad it makes you bad for letting buffs drop.

Actually, I'd agree with him. The duration on Pulse Generator is often a little shorter than I see Tactics users comfortable with- so it can be tough to bring it up to "full power" on a group. The guy I was with usually got 2-3 stacks up and then fired it off. Wonder if you could /duel someone and keep your charge up by zapping them at need?

But it's not like you can't get burst DPS with Assault. It's just not quite as high with /25 or /28 as it is with AP- the only difference is you're using Sticky where you'd normally use AP.

I've been wondering about this also.

I've read 4/6/31 is for PvP max dps and 8/8/25 is for max PvE dps. To me this really gets down to whether +9% aim from the shield tree is worth as much as assault plastique from deep assault, and if so what amount of aim makes the tradeoff worthwhile.

Assault plastique may do twice the damage of an ion pulse, but it's only available once every 15 sec and the ion pulse has a 30% chance of granting a free high impact bolt.

Sustained is ALWAYS better then burst overall for raiding... 1 or 2 gimick fights are not worth swaping specs for. and if you have saying tactics is bad because you fail at it doesn't make the spec bad it makes you bad for letting buffs drop.

Bud... I never said it's bad. I said you MAY have this problem as I have a few times. It's a preference and I find that pyro either suits my style more or actually does work on a lot of fights as well as tactics. I was just making a point that burst has it's place and the overall of pyro can be just as sustained as tactics. You need to calm down and read. I was simply making a counter point to someone else's with actual evidence.