Basic questions re: Skills and Companions

andrew_b_gross

I have some really basic questions:

(1) For my companions, am I supposed to be upgrading their gear by finding/buying it and giving it to them? Or does their gear automagically upgrade as I level? When I find a piece of armor I can't use, should I be keeping it to give to one of my companioins?

(2) So far I've just been leaving my companions on autopilot. Is there a significant advantage to micro-managing them? Do any of them have abilities that you'd want to bind to a hotkey?

(3) For skills: Through trial and error, I think I've figured out how to leve and use my crew skills. I also think I'm clear on the skills I learn from my class trainer. Are there any other skills I should be finding a trainer for? I guess I'm thinking of the equivilent of First Aid or Cooking in WoW-- anything like that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance. I'm having a blast so far.

Gear for your companions does not automatically level up. Occasionally, you will get quest rewards for your companions. Feel free to use loot, buy, craft, or use hand-me-downs for your companions.

I've found that your companions will normally work perfectly fine on autopilot. However, as you level, they will earn skills that they will not automatically use (AOE for example). If you want them to use those, you will have to specify them. press ~ to open their skill bar and right click any skills you want to disable/enable.

Crew skills and class trainers are the only skills you need to worry about.

I have some really basic questions:

(1) For my companions, am I supposed to be upgrading their gear by finding/buying it and giving it to them? Or does their gear automagically upgrade as I level? When I find a piece of armor I can't use, should I be keeping it to give to one of my companioins?

(2) So far I've just been leaving my companions on autopilot. Is there a significant advantage to micro-managing them? Do any of them have abilities that you'd want to bind to a hotkey?

(3) For skills: Through trial and error, I think I've figured out how to leve and use my crew skills. I also think I'm clear on the skills I learn from my class trainer. Are there any other skills I should be finding a trainer for? I guess I'm thinking of the equivilent of First Aid or Cooking in WoW-- anything like that I'm missing?

Thanks in advance. I'm having a blast so far.

For #1 any gear you find while levelling is good for your companion just check the stats match what they need don't save gear for a companion you don't already have as he will have out levelled the gear by the time you equip it.

For #2 This all depends on your play style and what companion you have as for the Jedi knight I know a lot of people who turn off the starter companions pull move as it messes up their force leap I personally on my consular turn of taunt and use it my self when needed.

For #3 Only other skills I can think of is stuff like mount skill at level 25 and maybe some social skills not sure but there is no cooking or first aid in other words no secondary professions :).

Hope this all helps