The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

I'd love to shake the chap who designed powertech firmly by the throat...

Leyv

Yep, but you did rather set yourself up to get trolled with such a melodramatic subject line. What sort of reader did you think you were going to attract by saying you wanted to throttle the devs? If you want a quality discussion you have to set things up properly and not use hyperbole.

Anyway, I agree about that storyline encounter. It is very poorly designed for Powertech, especially shield tech. Shield tech lacks the dps to burst anything down and it is almost impossible to keep two cross-healing mobs interupted given the frequency with which most healing mobs attempt to heal. Even if you do try to dance between them, the cooldowns on the interupts are too long and you can't prevent enough of the heals. That whole encounter seems set up for Mercenary with their crowd control and no real thought was given to how a Powertech would tackle it. Seems the devs are as guilty as the wider playerbase of making the constant assumption that Bounty Hunter = Mercenary.

I eventually completed that encounter by wedging myself into a corner to avoid the constant knockbacks and this seemed to encourage one of the two commando mobs to move out of the heal range of the other. More by luck than any pre-conceived plan I have to admit.

I am a PT. I was specced ST during that quest. I have used dps companion. I have had zero issue with it. The problem is not that the devs thought all BH are merc, which is absurd. The problem is that most PTs leveling up keep doing the same thing from lev1 to 49. Pyro is absolutely viable to level with. Mako is NOT the ideal companion in every encounter.

Furthermore, dps PTs pump as much if not sometimes more dps than a merc.

I am a PT. I was specced ST during that quest. I have used dps companion. I have had zero issue with it. The problem is not that the devs thought all BH are merc, which is absurd. The problem is that most PTs leveling up keep doing the same thing from lev1 to 49. Pyro is absolutely viable to level with. Mako is NOT the ideal companion in every encounter.

Furthermore, dps PTs pump as much if not sometimes more dps than a merc.

Yes, dps companion is the best for that encounter as you need to burst down as quickly as you can. I used Blizz in dps mode as he was the best geared of my companions other than Mako.

Respec'ing for a class storyline mission should not be a requirement. The class storyline missions should be viable for all specs (assuming full points into your chosen tree, devs can't be expected to cater for hybrid builds). If someone wishes to level as a tank then they should expect their class storyline to be viable as a tank and not need to respec tp dps.

It's not actually that absurd to suggest that devs can be blinkered and that some class storyline missions seem to strongly favour one of the two advanced classes over the other. Not just Bounty Hunter either. Play a Sniper and try and complete Act 1 and you'll see what I mean.

Part of the problem is how different some of the advanced class pairs are with very different playstyles. I can appreciate how hard it must be to balance every storyline encounter to suit both advanced classes. However, that's the advanced class system the devs saddled themselves with, they have to deal with it and find ways to balance it.

Edited by Cernow

Yes, dps companion is the best for that encounter as you need to burst down as quickly as you can. I used Blizz in dps mode as he was the best geared of my companions other than Mako.

Respec'ing for a class storyline mission should not be a requirement. The class storyline missions should be viable for all specs (assuming full points into your chosen tree, devs can't be expected to cater for hybrid builds). If someone wishes to level as a tank then they should expect their class storyline to be viable as a tank and not need to respec tp dps.

It's not actually that absurd to suggest that devs can be blinkered and that some class storyline missions seem to strongly favour one of the two advanced classes over the other. Not just Bounty Hunter either. Play a Sniper and try and complete Act 1 and you'll see what I mean.

Part of the problem is how different some of the advanced class pairs are with very different playstyles. I can appreciate how hard it must be to balance every storyline encounter to suit both advanced classes. However, that's the advanced class system the devs saddled themselves with, they have to deal with it and find ways to balance it.

No one is saying you needed to respec. Like I said, and I understand that's how you did it too, tank spec + dps companion solved the issue. Also why use Blizz in dps mode, when you could have just given all his gear to Torian for even alot more dps?

In any case, there are still advantages for Tank spec BHs. Tanks have a easier time soloing Heroic 2s than dps specs. I really do not see dps BH having any advantage throughout the story line at all. In fact, I wish the story line was a lot more challenging than what it was.

I did the final mission against the two healers as a Shieldtech and with Mako. It is not the developers, it is you. Yes it is difficult but I think you're either doing it wrong or you need better gear.

holy crap that 2 healer fight sucked. i had bad lag that day and got disconnected 2 times during the fight and when i loged in nobody was dead. over all i think it took me 15 minutes to do it. felt like i was soloing a strong boss or something.

still, that fight wasn't hard as much as you needed to use all cc/burst damage you could on one healer to take him down. after that it was easy as pie... cookies and cream pie :-)

Edit: i used mako for that fight since none of my other flunkies had gear worth a damn.

Edited by Profaniti