The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Poor vanguard...

Azrienov

Indeed, it is. Which is in itself a big huge billboard sign saying "Something is wrong here".

I got PvP tank gear for PvE first (now I've got DPS as well), you had to love those massive 2k (max!!) crits.

But guess what the top tier talents for vanguard shield give you? Shield / absorb.

Guess what the ammo regen for a tank vanguard depends on? Shield.

The same stats which are pointless on PvP tank gear are pointless in the talent trees.

The only reason to go hybrid is to have utility and be carried by your gear for the rest, the spec sure isn't doing anything else but utility.

Well hmmm

here's a list of shield tree damage buffs :

+6% elemental damage

+6% damage on HiB

+9% aim

additionnal DoT on ion cell procs (those 2 DoTs can add up 200-400 (they can crit) damage every GCD)

+25% ion cell damage + longer additionnal DoT

+30% crit on stockstrike and explosive surge, stockstrike 50% refresh on shield proc

+30% crit damage on stockstrike and explosive surge

That's kind of non-negligeable, since all these damage buffs also comes with the best utlity that class can offer. Storm + speed boost, root on pull and scan, spammable snare are simply HUGE assets.

Then add up from tactics tree / assault from my 26/13/2 build :

DoT from gut (stacking those 3 DoTs can add up 300-600+ damage every GCD)

+6% crit on elemental attacks

+60% armor pen on HiB

+8% damage ion cell

+6% damage on ion pulse and gut

+8% damage on stockstrike

All of this swaping guard around and spamming taunts. That's a lot of damage buffs for a shield tank build in tanking stance (+60% armor etc).

I'm posting all of this because, imo, this is the best way to play this tank with the best utility available.

Alternatively, one could say teh best way to play a vanguard is assault all the way, but only if your goal is to strictly DPS. My build still wrecks people left rigth and center, just slower, but has more mobility and survivability.

Edited by Faat

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic