Guardian Rakata Gear

natalieg

Hey guys,

First time really posting in here. I just started tanking NM Ops for my guild, and as a Guardian tank, I noticed a LOT of horrible itemization. I just kinda wanted to figure out the thought process behind it through some theorycrafting here.

The pieces in question are Rakata War Leader's boots and Rakata War Leader's Chestpiece.

If you notice, they have Surge on them. Is there any reason why surge would be a better secondary stat over absorption rating/shield chance/raw defense? Or is this just an error on their part?

If I'm thinking right, it could be because all Guardians share the same Rakata set, right? Like, all advanced classes share the same gear for their type (Heavy, Medium, Light) regardless of skill spec, right?

Surge would benefit a DPS Guardian more, but, more damage also means more threat for you. So in a way, it's mutually beneficial, just not tank-centric.

They actually don't share the same set. Vindicator = Guardian DPS, War Leader = Guardian Tank. In fact, even the Columi tanking set is better itemized.

I thought about the damage output as a threat modifier, but I'm able to hold aggro pretty well regardless of how much damage I'm doing. Pure threat modifiers via damage will come from Accuracy ONLY. Simply put, if you can hit the boss you are generating threat.

But, I just find it odd that there's surge on some pieces like that. I'd love to see more mitigation stats on the Rakata leveled gear as the bosses DO hit harder.

Well, the horrible itemization is not restricted to tanking gear, it's present on Guardian DPS gear as well.(and probably other classes gear as well) IMO there are 2 theses which could explain this:

1. Bioware want you to utilize the mod/enhancement system to the maximum and swap out the mods on gear for the ones that drop freely in Operations.

2. Bioware has no f*ing clue about what stats the classes need and prety much just randomized the secondary stats.

Now up untill recently I was more in support of thesis 1. However in one of the posts made by one of the devs, (think it was George) they admitted to overloading the DPS gear with accuracy and this being a fault on their part. This kinda pushed me towards believing thesis 2 was correct. There is no hard evidence supporting either, so I guess it's up to you to draw your own conclusions.

Well, the horrible itemization is not restricted to tanking gear, it's present on Guardian DPS gear as well.(and probably other classes gear as well) IMO there are 2 theses which could explain this:

1. Bioware want you to utilize the mod/enhancement system to the maximum and swap out the mods on gear for the ones that drop freely in Operations.

2. Bioware has no f*ing clue about what stats the classes need and prety much just randomized the secondary stats.

Or:

3. Itemization was performed in parallel by independent groups that had no communication between them.

Sure seems that way when you look at the itemization discrepencies between classes for Mods and Enhancements and the crafted Heavy armors.

Edited by Rhaphael