What's more fun to level between PT and Merc?

AngrySoviet

So far everyone keeps saying PVE as Merc is just Tracer Missile, Tracer Missile, Tracer Missile, Tracer Missile, which obviously seems quite boring.

Are Powertechs more fun to level? I'm not talking about flashpoints, PVP or any of that stuff. Just straight out questing. As in, is their rotation more varied, more fun, etc.?

Actually merc is alot of fun. I use tracer missle but it's not all I use. it has a 1.5 sec casting time where unload and alot of your other missles are instant. It doesn't have a stun so it's situational. I use it but not on every mob all the time. I think tracer missle spam is more pvp than pve to be honest. Edited by DarthBubba

The problem with a rotation that is so heavy on TM, for me, is that there is a cast time on the ability. Casting what is otherwise a ranged attack when someone is in your face is just a silly dynamic. Yes, we have a couple of knockbacks, but a strong or especially a elite melee mob is still going to spend a lot of the fight within melee range of you (assuming you don't use a tank comp). The whole thing is awkward and, ultimately, boring.

I think merc would be more fun if TM was changed to an instant cast, on a short cooldown, forcing us to splice in rapid shots, allowing us to be more mobile, and perhaps giving us one additional kiting skill (a non-damage dealing slow on a CD) to encourage us to keep stronger melee mobs from hitting us to begin with. Nerf TM damage as appropriate.

Arsenal Merc doesn't have a rotation as such, it's just Tracer Missile spam and perhaps Rail Shot for a finisher if you can be bothered (but usually another Tracer Missile does just as much damage so why bother). For packs you can throw in Death From Above and Fusion Missile. With Mako healing you just Tracer spam everything down and can never really die. This has its appeal of course, you feel pretty powerful and can take on anything the game throws at you. But ultimately it's not that rewarding.

Bodyguard and Pyro Merc will mix things up a bit more, I haven't tried them so can't comment.

Powertech on the other hand needs to use a full rotation of multiple abilities, because nothing can be spammed, most attacks PT uses are on some form of cooldown. Powertech feels more visceral too because you're usually in the face of your enemy.

The obvious difference between the two is one is ranged and spamming the same attack. The other is melee and rotating multiple attacks. Hard to compare, depends what playstyle you're after.

While leveling i pretty much used fusion missle, electro dart and death from above and just mowed over groups of mobs. Pretty much if you want to play a melee version go for PT, ranged go merc.

they both seem ranged to me,unless i missed something with the pyrotech tree for both classes.because pyrotech powertech seems to be the only viable dps spec for a powertech,and its ranged.so it seems in terms of viable dps,there both pretty much ranged classes

Edited by CrunkShizzle

I play both a Powertech tank and a Mercenary dps.

My mercenary is pyrotech, which uses the thermal detonator instead of tracer missile. Very mobile, so you don't always have to be careful of interrupts. Takes a bit more skill to be effective, but if you can manage the heat buildup the pyro does quite a lot of damage.

I have both Merc and PT at 50. I levelled Merc as Arsenal then switched to healing. I levelled the PT as Pyro then switched to CP/ST as required.

Hands down PT was the easy favourite for me. I can't stand Pyro on Merc, but love it on PT.

PT Pyro uses 2 instants to reset Rail Shot, which is your bread and butter. Merc Pyro uses 2 casts (1 can be interrupted on purpose) to reset Rail Shot. Also Rocket Punch and Flame Burst tend to reset Rail Shot often, compared to Mercs Unload/Power Shot resetting Rail Shot seldom (imo). As you can see PT pyro is more powerful due to this.

I really hope they don't bring PT Pyro in line with Merc Pyro, I hope its the other way around.

Edited by Moosimoo

The only hurdle to playing a PT, imo, is getting past the first few levels (after picking your AC at 10). PTs start off (seemingly) a little less powerful than other classes, but ramp up after about 14-20.

Again, just my experience.

The other thing about playing PT is picking a spec that you'll enjoy. I rolled a PT speccing in up-close damage. Basically anything that buffed Rocket Punch, and then focused on survivability after that. Here's the spec I used (for PVE):

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301hMGrdoroGZMsr0oZb.1

Not saying it's the best spec or anything, but I thought it was fun, and it allowed me to solo or run FPs and still do good DPS.