Combat - Spender or Hoarder

DerPhil

As Combat I try to keep to a focus-neutral rotation outside of Zen - i.e., Strike, Blade Rush, Strike, Blade Storm, etc.. Weaving in Precision Slash does make this rotation focus-negative, in theory, but it's almost impossible to run out because of Combat Trance. If I see Zealous Strike coming off cooldown, I usually try to spend enough to ensure I'm wasting as little of its focus gain as possible.

Both. That's why Combat is hard to play.

thats why i want to master it. I own a nostromo and I can actually make a macro for watchman with all attacks in it and it works.

Can't do this with combat, have to watch my focus, procs and act accordingly.

Another question, why is focus considered bad for pve?

Another question, why is focus considered bad for pve?

The Focus tree seems to be more focused on survivability and control over the target through use of slows rather than on actual damage output, which are things you typically want in a PvP setting. Also, in PvE, most bosses are likely to be immune to slows which wastes the tree's controlling nature, and the auto-crit talent for Force Sweep can be hazardous around CC targets. For leveling, though, it can be quite good as Shii-cho will make you more durable - especially when specced into Defensive Forms - and more mobile with Zealous Leap.

Focus is bad for PvE because:

1. It often requires a different spec than you would use for PvP. Most specs are easy to transition between PvE and PvP. Some PvP Focus builds skip Focused Slash. This is a major downer for PvE.

2. Focus requires heavy use of Force Charge to keep up DPS. This is a ***** to manage in several fights, and unless your timing is impeccable, you'll lose DPS from running out to get Charge distance.

3. Watchman probably does more total DPS.

On the other hand, it can be done, and Focus' raw DPS is pretty solid. You need to use slightly different approaches than you would for PvP (use Sweep off the first 3-4 ticks of Exhaust; don't let the 5th tick go to waste), but it's not bad.