assault spec vanguard

Laran

Do any assault spec vanguards roll with the commado pvp set? The extra 0.5 sec on my aoe stun doesnt seem that good and since im assault spec I feel having 15% crit chance on HiB is better than 15% crit on shockstrike regardless of the 2 set bonuses. Anyone else feel this way?

I personally use 2 piece Combat Tech, and 2 piece Combat Medic (with Enhancements swapped out). 15 seconds off your CC break + .5 seconds extra AoE stun + extra 3 seconds on Reactive Shield is better to me than 15% extra crit on HIB.

If you are assault then nothing is better than 15%+ crit.

Anything that slightly lengths specfic abilties is junk when you can have something that boosts the damage of your main attack that can really be shot off like every 6 seconds and is a major increase in DPS.

I still have no idea why people think it is the commando set, when really commandos should be using the PVE 2 peices along side with the PVP 2 peice for 15+% crit on grav round and lower CD on knockbacks.

If you are assault then nothing is better than 15%+ crit.

Anything that slightly lengths specfic abilties is junk when you can have something that boosts the damage of your main attack that can really be shot off like every 6 seconds and is a major increase in DPS.

I still have no idea why people think it is the commando set, when really commandos should be using the PVE 2 peices along side with the PVP 2 peice for 15+% crit on grav round and lower CD on knockbacks.

TL;DR is at the bottom!

The fallacy that a lot of people buy into is that the increase in dps from have 15% extra crit on HIB is actually gamebreaking. What they don't realize is that a lot of the extra damage they are doing is actually overkill. If your target dies in a certain number of globals, then he dies. You don't get extra credit for killing him more.

What does the duration increases give you?

- 2 set Combat Tech increases your AoE stun to 3 seconds. 3 seconds is also the amount of time it takes to disarm the door in Void Star.

- It takes 15 seconds off your CC break. That's 15 less seconds you need to wait before you can effectively solo guard a node again, and not get CC capped.

- 2 set Combat Medic brings your Reactive Shield to 15 seconds. 15 seconds is also the exact duration of Inspiration (15% extra damage for the entire group), Battle Readiness (increases damage of Force and Shadow techniques by 100%), and Battle Focus (25% extra crit chance). What does this mean? You can use your Reactive Shield to essentially negate the entire duration of damage CDs.

The fact of the matter is, I have no problems killing people right now. When, and if, I start seeing the need for more damage, then I'll switch to 4 set Eliminators. As it stands right now, the amount of spike damage you do as full Assault in full BM gear is obscene. For me, more damage would be meaningless. I can't split a HIB crit between two targets. If 15% extra crit doesn't reduce the number of globals it takes me to burst someone down, then it's useless to me.

TL;DR - If you feel like you need more damage, go with Eliminator. If not, then go with 2-set Combat Tech + 2-set Combat Medic. And trust me, in full BM gear with accuracy enhancements swapped out for Power/Surge enhancements, you don't need more damage.

I run 2 piece combat medic, 2 piece columi super commando -all mods swapped, assault spec w/ ion cell.

18 sec shield, and I'm using it every 1.5 minutes - sometimes feeling like every minute.

That amount of pure damage reduction means the my guard target stays up forever and I stay up a long time. 1v1 is a nightmare for the other guy.

No BM gear yet, other than the weapon. I don't find the damage lacking, even without AP.

When fighting BM opponents, I honestly don't feel like more spike damage is where I'd like to go. Maybe it just suits my play style.

The 15%+ critical rate can actually decide between killing something in one less GCD or even more, as well as it does more damage on things you do kill youself.

Not everything you damage will die by your hand.

There is no such thing as too much damage...killing things as fast as possible is never a bad thing.

The other things are nice but they are not are still situational while HIB is used in every single battle.

Breaking CC more is nice but isn't worth a cost in DPS. Stuns happen it is fine you got two of your own. Which not all classes have 2 in combat of their own.

And reactive has an incredibly short cooldown already if you have the trait that lowers the CD when you take damage.

3 second area stun is not gonna help you disarm the bomb there will be someone out of the range who will attack you. This is incredibly situational and relies on the team standard exactly within your radius.

Seriously 35% crit is not way near as good as 50% crit which is pretty much what you can reach with the eliminator set. Unless you are only fighting <12000 health scrubs in non armour I have no idea how you could possibly think you deal enough damage to ignore a massive bonus like 15%+ crit.

And also switching all enchantments in the BM set to surge ones is good.

But how can you get the most out of surge? BY HAVING FREAKING HIGH CRITICAL RATE.

PVP is all about burst and maxing critical rate is pretty much a given for any DPS.

Edited by The_Beastwood

TL;DR is at the bottom!

The fallacy that a lot of people buy into is that the increase in dps from have 15% extra crit on HIB is actually gamebreaking. What they don't realize is that a lot of the extra damage they are doing is actually overkill. If your target dies in a certain number of globals, then he dies. You don't get extra credit for killing him more.

The damage boost to HIB when it crits, compared to when it doesn't, is 105% if you run with 75% crit damage. Therefore increasing your chance to crit by 15% is the same as increasing damage to HIB by 15%, long term. Yes there are people that you will overkill using HIB, there are also people that will die before Plastique goes off; this is not a good argument for skipping the 15% more damage on HIB.

It's not "a little extra damage" it is a 15% HIB-damage increase that also increases burst and reduces the target's shield chance when combined with the +25% crit CD. If your base crit with ranged is around 30% you add 15% and another 25% you end up with a 70% chance to crit, this crit rate give a shield used a maximum of 30% shield rate. Many tank-spec-DPS-geared assassins have a 35% base shield chance with their 15-second buff up.

As for the "0.5 seconds longer on AE stun is awesome for objectives" argument, I would say that many more objectives are won with burst damage to a target than on 0.5 sec stun duration. My AE stun is usually used up on peeling melee trains off my healer.

I'm kind of torn. I have been using elim set and I am happy with it. I'm just starting to get BM gear now. I almost want to get combat tech BM set because I can use it in either spec. When dual spec comes that means I can play tactics some time if I am feeling saucy. Elimintor set would be totally worthless in tactics.

I'm kind of torn. I have been using elim set and I am happy with it. I'm just starting to get BM gear now. I almost want to get combat tech BM set because I can use it in either spec. When dual spec comes that means I can play tactics some time if I am feeling saucy. Elimintor set would be totally worthless in tactics.

By that time you will be able to buy two champ sets with commendations from BM bags, and swap between them as you please.

Buy the gun and offhand before anything else that requires BM tokens.

Edited by Hethroin

By that time you will be able to buy two champ sets with commendations from BM bags, and swap between them as you please.

Buy the gun and offhand before anything else that requires BM tokens.

So you are saying I should just get the Elim BM set and get the champ tech set for when I am feeling saucy?

So you are saying I should just get the Elim BM set and get the champ tech set for when I am feeling saucy?

That's my plan.

You could even make Yuun wear it to save on bag space.

Edited by Hethroin

I am a bit OCD and it mildly annoys me that the 2 pc bonus is for commandos. I think that is weighing in on my decision a bit.

It shouldn't, or rather you should wonder why there isn't a Vanguard set with that bonus on it. Assault Spec revolves around HIB and really HIB crits. At the end of the day, we're a one trick pony- but our one trick is really good and has a tremendous of application. We burst. HIB is the biggest source of our crits BY FAR.

If there was a medium knight set that increased Centering generation by 1 point and increased Sweep damage by 10%, you'd see Guardians in medium armor. Their Focus spec is that oriented around Sweep. Assault is that oriented around HIB.

Additional point of information to consider- Eliminator actually has higher endurance I believe.