The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

So, vanguards..

WallinarN

So after starting out as a scoundrel. Space cowboy with a shotgun, can't get more aswesome than that right? Too bad they were duller to play than a paladin back in Vanilla WoW and that say's alot.

Decided to reroll, picked a Bounty Hunter and got to lvl 10. Had to decide between Powertech and Mercenary I picked mercenary becouse 2 pistols is just more ****** than 1. Bad choice, sure the damage is nice and all that. But having to spam that gosh darned tracer button (don't deny it, you have to do that more or less) makes me puke. Pyrotech is fine I guess but it feels to me that the tree was designed with powertechs in mind and again it's dull as a mercenary.

So I've decided to try a new class again. A tank class. So what are my option's? A heavy armored knight with a weapon resembling an oversized *****? No thanks. Ok next one, a light armoured (lol) dude armed with..... Yet again an oversized *****. And then I saw the vanguard. Heavy armor and a big carbine to shoot people's faces off. That's my kind of class!

So with that said I have some questions about end-game pvp. Since pvp is well over 95% of what a generally do in mmo:s. I want to play a tank class not some tank/dps hybrid.

Can I go all out defense on gear and talents and still be succesfull in pvp?

Don't care if I'm not able to kill someone just aslong as I can guard my teammates, taunt my enemies and be the biggest pain in the *** for anyone stupid enough to try and kill me.

If I see the enemy healer I can live with him outhealing my puny dps with his face. But only if I can make his job of keeping his teammates alive a living hell by interupting, stunning, charging, pulling and outliving his dps guards with some support from a friendly healer.

So, Vanguards. Is this class for me?

Spelling, grammar and so on comes with the price since english is'nt my mother tongue. Have a nice day.

Edited by WallinarN

That sound's promising but I've been checking out the forums alot looking for viable speccs and so on. And most of them is just hybrids between the tank tree and a dps tree coupled with gear that has dps stats on them. Is it required to play the class that way or can I go all out defense speccwise and gearwise and still be succesfull?

Full tank in pvp in the current environment is just a tad overdoing it. A hybrid spec like Iron fist is VERY tanky but trades a few points out of the top of the tank tree that just happen to be more PVE based and moves them over for utility. You will be one of the toughest toons around and have the ability to defend your team through enemy position control, Guard, and interrupting those pesky 1 ability spammers. (this includes some healers).

I am a Long time MMO PVE tank and I feel this character best gives me that feeling in PVP.

something that might help fill you in.....

The stats Shield, Absorb, and Defense only work for certain abilities. (IE your basic shots, weapon damage, or kinetic/energy)

BH's have fire and we have elemental, these go right through shields, negating shields and absorb right off the bat. I'm not fully knowledged on defense, but it plays a small role compared to Crit Rating, Power, and Surge.

Building your PVP tank means you need to be here, there, everywhere, and dish out damage and a steady pace. Your interrupt CD is imperative to go against healers. The combat tech increase for Stock strike, and Neural Surge (your area 5 man stun) is better than the 4 peice bonus for suppercommando (increase to PVP damage 5% when guarding a player).

So looking at just those the DPS route is what fits best for your PVP role. That doesn't mean you won't have 9% damage reduction (if specced) a killer stock strike. Great HIB shots, good elemental Damage. and good ammo rotations (its easy and only if you are fighting big battles will you drain ammo).

You can have loads of fun playing a shield specced vanguard in a warzone,

not only carrying the ball :p

Especially in defense situations, especially with a healer who cares for you.

You can shield your teammates and your taunts take damage off them.

Only downside is that your shield chance only helps against melee and range

attacks, tech and force ignore your shield. But your damage reduction through

armour and tank stance help you a lot.

Okay, your damage won't be high, but you can be a real nuisance for the enemy,

and you can really make the difference in many situations.

Have fun!

Pica

I second the IF (Taugrim) suggestion. Also check out Yojack's build sticky in the trooper forum. Either one of those will have a build that suits you that enables you to do top tier damage in end game PVP..

Vangaurd in endgame if played right and with gear that compliments your abilities can be near unstoppable.

full on tanking is really only usefull for one thing in pvp and that is to carry the ball..

Wrong.

Im pure PvE tank spec and I dominate PvP. I dont rock the damage meters (around the middle) and a big fat 0 for healing, but Im be able to finish with 5 damage medals and 5 protection medals without issue. Usually at the top, or near, for kills and at the bottom for deaths. A SSVG can single handedly hold a turret or door for a long time against 3 or 4 Imps and can hold longer/take on more with a healer.

SS Vangaurd rocks.

What kind of person are you?

If you want a ton of badges, if topping damage or kills is important to you, then Vanguard might not be for you (though you can top meters in some situations).

If you want to have a huge impact in every PvP game you play, even though the boards may not reflect it, then Vanguard is just awesome.

They start strong. They end strong. They just ARE strong across the board.

Vanguards and PTs are probably the best designed classes in the game.

You say you want to be a pain in the ***? Well, Frontline Defense...

http://www.torhead.com/ability/aj2vQld/frontline-defense

...is probably the single most annoying skill you can acquire as a vanguard. With it, your already-low-cool-down interrupt becomes even lower. An interrupt on a 6 second cool down? Yes please. Design your build around that ability with it skilled in the tactics tree and you'll be a happy VG. The ever popular Iron Fist spec uses this skill and so I concur other posters saying to go for it. You may consider going further up in the Tactics tree, but still use Ion Cell, if you desire a little more damage but a little less survivability.

Another idea is to go with at least 21 in Shield Spec, then put the rest in Tactics along with 2 in Assault for improving your stockstrike. Your points in Tactics will now include your High Energy Cell skills. You lose overall survivability without Ion Cell and the Ion Cell skills (7% flat mitigation and armor bonus), you lose the ability to guard without Ion Cell, you gain back a smidge of Melee sruvivability via the other more PvE oriented skills in the Shield tree, but you gain better ammo management and a 15% IN COMBAT speed increase, plus some better damage overall. Example is http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801GMhddMboMZMsroRMZb.1

This combination provides probably the most mobile class in the game. Storm + 15% speed increase is huge imo. You will die more however.

Edited by ByeToWoW