The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Advanced Prototype

Timeskeeper

really?

i guess i heard wrong then.it seemed like ap was easier to manage heat then pyro

That is very true actually, but it doesn't change the fact pyro is superior in everything. Granted, AP has more mobility, but the fact pyro is a slow on your standard move that has 10m range more than negates that.

And granted, you won't run out of heat as AP. But fact of the matter is you have absolutly no burst whatsoever. So you'll need that extra heat, simply because the lack of serious dmg prolongs the fight by a vast amount.

What you lack is

a) Range. this is what makes inc. missile so great: you can start right away. You can only use it in combination with thermal sensor override ( which is why i prefer crit/surge, contrary to the more popular power/surge combination)

b) Burst. This game is VERY dmg focused. Not having any is a serious lack of purpose, especially as a dpser in pvp. Even more, without burst you have nothing to surprise the healer that might actually heal your current target. Leaving your dps low for several seconds, just to come with a well timed detonator-railshot-rocketpunch(-and eventually another rail) that nearly hit in together let's alot of healers look stupid.

c) a slow. AP will get that one now, but a 10m one is still superior. Unfortunately that one will be nerfed :-(

hydraulic overrides is a totally different story. Imo this is one of the, if not the best talent. It is by far the best slowbreaker ingame, and ontop of that grants you a speedbuff and immunity for 8 long seconds. but it doesn't justify the obvious lack of dmg.

What AP really needs is more constant dmg to be able to use flameburst and immolate as some kind of burst. i don't know how to do that, but one idea might actually be to make retractable blade into a stackable dot or something.

Right now AP is plainright useless. You won't kill anything with that one. I have no clue what i will use after 1.2, but it won't be a full AP spec. Maybe a hybrid: 0-23-18, 2-21-18, something alike...

Fact of the matter is PT will have a hard time for the next few months. Thx BW, you are ridiciolous.

Edited by GianBaal

Oh come on AP is not plain useless.

The sustained DPS never was a problem for APs in PvE.

Lets wait and see how 1.2 will effect Pyros sustained and burst DPS. I get a feeling that AP and Pyro will be much closer now. AP will be a bit lower on the DPS but will offer some nice utility instead.

A free 6 second interrupt will be awesome for both PvE and PvP.

The little buff for Rail Shot will up the DPS a bit but its not that great for APs anyway. I am not even specced into the extra Rail Shot damage from the shield tree. Instead i picked the damage reduction.

The biggest flaw in the AP specc for PvP is Flamethrower. Its about 25% of an APs damage output. And if you can't use 25% of your damage potential all the utility in the world will not help to offset that. The snare effect on Blade will help this but it wont solve the problem.

The best suggestion i read so far was to add a stun to a 5 Stack FT.