Quarterly Producer Letter for Q2 2024 ×

Level 19 and have not seen any light saber upgrades

Rapidson

so am I doing something wrong? I found a new light saber that is better than the one I started with and I have been using that but I cant upgrade anything on it. I would rather use the one I started with and upgrade it. am I missing them or do they come later?

It's hit or miss whether you'll get an upgradeable lightsaber. Don't sweat it.

EDIT: I mean, you will get one eventually, but, as far as I can tell, there's not rhyme or reason.

Edited by WeAreLions

They are spread out. You'll get a green unmoddable one every 10 or so levels or you can upgrade the mods in an orange saber. Each planet has a mod vendor that takes planet comms. You can upgrade mods, hilts & enhancements that way. The power crystal is the only thing I don't remeber finding many of as leveling (only one emailed quest reward in the level 39 range sticks out in my mind). That can bought off the GTN usually for reasonable credits.

The primary place to get mods/upgrades for weapons/armour is from the commendation vendors on each planet, or from the GTN by buying them from other players who have crafted these items.

Another way is some quests actually reward you with a choice of upgrades. Usually armouring being the main one I've seen, with enhancement being next, and on the rare occasion barrels (I suspect for saber users you'd see hilts as rewards).

It is VERY rare to see a mod drop from a mob you've killed. The less than half a dozen times I've see it happen, its been a purple mod, and only once has it been a mod I could use, and even then, I had access to something that was the same, if not better in a blue already slotted.

I think you'd have a far better chance of seeing a fully slotted item drop, and be able to canibalize it by removing mods from it. I've seen two "orange" sabers drop in my times on Drommand Kaas, and pulled a couple mods from those to use on my sith warrior.

thanks for the help guys. I keep waiting for mods to drop from kills, guess I will look in the vendors

Please do, it's the easiest and cheapest way to upgrade your gear all the way to 50. For your saber the comms from your quests will provide all your hilt, mod and enhancement needs, you will need to buy/make/quest reward crystals though. Same goes for your armour, you can get all your Armouring, mods and enhancements for them all the way.

You'll get a bunch of orange gear you can buy through comms too, my advice is if you get a piece you like the look of them just keep it all the way to 50 as it's cheaper to upgrade it via comms than to buy a new piece with them. 2 armouring upgrades/2 pieces of gear upgraded for the price of buying one.

Every planet will have the comm vendors near where you first land on them.

You most likely got an orange "quality" saber when you hit level 10. Just use the commendations you get and buy mod upgrades. In fact, when given a choice for quest reward I almost always take the commendation (unless there is something I or my companion can actually use as an upgrade). the lockboxes are a crapshoot and I would rather get something I know I can put towards a good upgrade than a small amount of credits for selling something I can't use.

Further, I have yet to find a lightsaber that drops that has better stats than what I can mod; some come close but allocation is usually not quite right for my spec.

As for other mod-able gear, I occasionally find better than what i can mod, but I always keep the mod-able gear because I know that a little later in my progression I will gain access to mods that make the mod-able gear better again :).

Edited by psandak

are different planets going to have better stuff you can buy with your comms? Would the starter Jedi planet have the weakest stuff per say?

{edited for spelling}

Edited by Rapidson

On every planet collect as many commendations as you can.

They can drop from some killed enemies but mostly gained from missions.

If the other reward in missions is not a big upgrade take commendations instead.

When you're the right level to buy the higher level mods from the modifications commendations vendor (on most planets they sell 2 levels of mods) go buy them.

Repeat same on next planet and so on.

You'll see that your orange item will be allways better than any greens you might find

On most planet you can also buy green mods with just credits, but you should avoid using them as they are lower quality as the blue mods bought with commendations.

are different planets going to have better stuff you can buy with your comms? Would the starter Jedi planet have the weakest stuff per say?

{edited for spelling}

Yes. Every planet gives its own type of commendations: Tython comms, Coruscant comms, Tattooine comms, etc. The gear you can get with comms is appropiate to the level bracket of the corresponding planet, so when you're e.g. level 30, gear from Tython comms will be weak for you.

You can also pick them up off the market as well- cybertechs and artificers make parts and crystals for lightsabers and sell them frequently. And as noted, orange gear like your saber is nigh-infinitely moddable- you can use that starting orange saber 1-50 if you keep changing the parts as you level up. Characters tend to end up with more and more orange pieces of gear as they level up- first your weapon, then body pieces, then legs, boots, hands....and if you're REALLY lucky, you'll come across a belt or bracers that are orange as well.

(In all my time I've seen ONE belt from 1-45 on my Trooper. And it was for a Smuggler. Sigh.)

and do remember that Hilt is the most important modification as it is what sets the weapon damage / power rating

ok got it. now I have seen some "engraved hilt" out in the wild. those are just junk right?

ok got it. now I have seen some "engraved hilt" out in the wild. those are just junk right?

If the item in question is "grey".. meaning the text when you hover over the item icon is grey in colour.. then yes its just vendor trash. Another clue is if its stackable. Mods that go into weapons and armour are not stackable at all, but keep in mind that stims/health packs are stackable and not junk ;)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.