Shinarika - Jedi Shadow Guide (Tutorial-A)

Xinika

My pleasure. I hope someone at BW sees this "Bonus treat" and gets to fixing it right away.

Tier 2 Weapon > Tier 3 Weapon? Wut?

You made me very sad when I looked at my shiny new Battlemaster Stalker Saber and realized I just wasted 3 tokens for a pretty glowstick :(

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crit is good for PvE. PvP? Not really. If you're doing both fields and the gear you're using mixes into both aspects, then perhaps Willpower would be the best choice for you. However, if you're hardcore PvP (like me) then stack Power.

Accuracy is trash. I've tested it at 115% and even the 15% gain proved nothing. However, I should add that you need a 92% accuracy to maintain a stable hit cap.

Do you feel that 91.83 is enough accuracy? Worth sacrificing 14 power to get it above the 92% mark?

In your Infiltration build, do you find that the reduced cooldown for Force Breach from Security Breach makes a difference? Do you use Force Breach on cooldown, or do you wait and watch your Exit Strategy buffs?

bumping my question. think it got overlooked

ok thanks, i guess it seems like a bit of a waste since it only lowers it by 3 secs. but none of the other options (Subduing Tech, Shadowy Veil, Kinetic Field, Situational Awareness) lend themselves to a high burst build.

ok thanks, i guess it seems like a bit of a waste since it only lowers it by 3 secs. but none of the other options (Subduing Tech, Shadowy Veil, Kinetic Field, Situational Awareness) lend themselves to a high burst build.

There's not much room to work with. The increased armour talent isn't too bad, nor is Kinetic Field.

There's not much room to work with. The increased armour talent isn't too bad, nor is Kinetic Field.
I really like kinetic field but I think +30% armor to a low armor value isn't much.. and always wasted points.

Whenever you have lots of team mates around you, enemies will spam aoe. -30% to aoe damage is lovely and adds lots of toughness and also makes it possible for an infiltration shadow to stay in action for longer.

Edited by shagatha

I really like kinetic field but I think +30% armor to a low armor value isn't much.. and always wasted points.

Whenever you have lots of team mates around you, enemies will spam aoe. -30% to aoe damage is lovely and adds lots of toughness and also makes it possible for an infiltration shadow to stay in action for longer.

Infil just needs work period.

**This regards the KC aspect of the video**

Nice video man, it definitely made me take in a new perspective on how I build my shadow. Your videos actually made me try out kinetic after sticking to infil/balance, but now I can't go back to either since kinetic is currently ridiculously more viable, especially in 1v1 situations.

I do have some questions:

1) I know this has been asked, but why drop all the accuracy? I'm hesitant to drop my chance to hit with melee as Double Strike is used a lot in this spec and so is saber strike when force starved. Also, won't your lowered accuracy hinder your ability to successfully interrupt? Do you have any math to prove dropping all the accuracy is better?

2) (assuming we could read the text in the video) Why didn't you enable "Show Detailed Item Tooltips" in your video?

3) Do you use Power Generator instead of a Shield Generator? From Champ Survivor to Champ Stalker offhand you are only gaining 20 willpower, 2% crit, and about 50 bonus force damage. Ignoring the crit which you say isn't very important next to raw damage stats, you're really only gaining 20 willpower and 50 bonus force damage. At the same time you are choosing to negate the 15% bonus shield chance in the Combat Technique stance, negate the ability "Kinetic Ward (15% bonus shield chance), and 1.2% defence chance, and a whopping 49 endurance (which, correct me if I'm wrong, is basically like having another talent maxed "Mental Fortitude"). So, is it really worth the extra nudge in damage to loose all the extra that comes with a shield generator?

4) If you use a power generator, doesn't kinetic ward basically become a wasted talent point?

5) Why do you not take 1 point from the balance tree and place in into "Infiltration Tactics." Someone mentioned in another forum that the multiple target nature of KC gameplay allows a high up time of this talent and shadow strike is a pretty hard hitter.

Again, great video :)

**This regards the KC aspect of the video**

Nice video man, it definitely made me take in a new perspective on how I build my shadow. Your videos actually made me try out kinetic after sticking to infil/balance, but now I can't go back to either since kinetic is currently ridiculously more viable, especially in 1v1 situations.

I do have some questions:

1) I know this has been asked, but why drop all the accuracy? I'm hesitant to drop my chance to hit with melee as Double Strike is used a lot in this spec and so is saber strike when force starved. Also, won't your lowered accuracy hinder your ability to successfully interrupt? Do you have any math to prove dropping all the accuracy is better?

2) (assuming we could read the text in the video) Why didn't you enable "Show Detailed Item Tooltips" in your video?

3) Do you use Power Generator instead of a Shield Generator? From Champ Survivor to Champ Stalker offhand you are only gaining 20 willpower, 2% crit, and about 50 bonus force damage. Ignoring the crit which you say isn't very important next to raw damage stats, you're really only gaining 20 willpower and 50 bonus force damage. At the same time you are choosing to negate the 15% bonus shield chance in the Combat Technique stance, negate the ability "Kinetic Ward (15% bonus shield chance), and 1.2% defence chance, and a whopping 49 endurance (which, correct me if I'm wrong, is basically like having another talent maxed "Mental Fortitude"). So, is it really worth the extra nudge in damage to loose all the extra that comes with a shield generator?

4) If you use a power generator, doesn't kinetic ward basically become a wasted talent point?

5) Why do you not take 1 point from the balance tree and place in into "Infiltration Tactics." Someone mentioned in another forum that the multiple target nature of KC gameplay allows a high up time of this talent and shadow strike is a pretty hard hitter.

Again, great video :)

1) From consistent experimenting with accuracy: I can tell you it's the worst stat you can ever possibly hope to get. You need 92-93% accuracy at best, based on the target you fight. Accuracy has never affected my interrupts' success.

2) Had most options on default.

3) Listen, very carefully. I use both. There are times when I would completely swap to survivor tank gear (Which includes shield) and cap out around 20k+ hp to defend nodes or carry huttballs. When I'm attacking, (Voidstar for example) then I swap into my DPS gear shown in the video WITH a focus.

4) Correct, but I use both shield and focus.

5) No. KC is already force starved and you have no need to be chasing for more damage. You have decent damage and a great arsenal of utility. Your primary role as KC IS a tank.

Ok...I am kind of lazy when it comes to figuring out what mods go in what gear for what spec. I only have so many hours in the day for this game. I just need to know if my logic for the upcoming patch is correct or should I totally change something before the patch hits. Ok...here is where I am. Valor lvl 62 infiltration spec with full champ stalker gear. I have 2 BM coms in the bank. Should I still try to gear my toon in BM and just not mod it so it will be updated with the patch? Also I see that you still use the champ double saber... I was intending on getting the BM saber just because it looks cool. (I know it is a big hit in power). But any thoughts would be great! I am staying infiltration spec.

Ok...I am kind of lazy when it comes to figuring out what mods go in what gear for what spec. I only have so many hours in the day for this game. I just need to know if my logic for the upcoming patch is correct or should I totally change something before the patch hits. Ok...here is where I am. Valor lvl 62 infiltration spec with full champ stalker gear. I have 2 BM coms in the bank. Should I still try to gear my toon in BM and just not mod it so it will be updated with the patch? Also I see that you still use the champ double saber... I was intending on getting the BM saber just because it looks cool. (I know it is a big hit in power). But any thoughts would be great! I am staying infiltration spec.

If you're new to BM gear, don't have a lot of time, then get the BM gear and wait. Champion saber should be easy to get since you get so many tokens via bags, so, why not get both sabers? I have 3- BM Stalker, Champ Stalker and BM Survivor. You still need to transfer the power to the BM saber in 1.2 so, yes, you need both.

• 2 weeks later...
This, really. It works better for infiltration when CDS are up, I can literally take out any target I desire. Even better for KC because of the auto crits.

The mods are from Battlemaster Stalker Gloves and the enhancements from Champion Enforcer Gloves. Blue relic is known as the M7-R3 Matrix cube. More information on how to obtain it can be found here: http://www.swtor-spy.com/guides/matrix-cube-guide/1047/

You need 3 Red Shards to make this cube which are all easily obtainable.

Honestly, it's personal preference. I chose mine because of the looks. The base armouring is the same.

Armoring (56)

+41 Endurance

+57 Willpower

http://www12.wowhead.com/item/48Yy29y/columi-force-mystics-robe

So your choice should be between Stalker or Force-master.

Couldn't agree more with the poorly done itemization in this game. It's not just the weapons, all of BM gear is a near waste to a downgrade in certain cases.

Advanced Resolve Armoring 22

Binds on Equip

Armoring (Item Modifications)

Total Stats:

Armor Rating 124

+33 Endurance

+47 Willpower

Requires Level 49

This Armoring can be used to upgrade your armor. Armoring will change the level of the item.

http://www12.wowhead.com/item/g6hsoUg/advanced-resolve-armoring-22

Advanced Aptitude Mod 25

Binds on Equip

Mod (Item Modifications)

Total Stats:

Armor Rating 140

+29 Endurance

+48 Willpower

+37 Power

Requires Level 50

This Mod can be used to upgrade your weapons and armor.

http://www12.wowhead.com/item/7KGWxhz/advanced-aptitude-mod-25

KC spec'd.

Sorry I am missing this, but besides the belt, what else are you modding? Love the videos by the way. I've been able to ramp up my shadow that I can almost take anyone one-on-one and hold off two at a time now.

Sorry I am missing this, but besides the belt, what else are you modding? Love the videos by the way. I've been able to ramp up my shadow that I can almost take anyone one-on-one and hold off two at a time now.

That's great. The mods should be the same as shown in the video however.

For those still wondering where to get the mods/enh

BM Stalker Gloves or Helmet. (Power) - Mod

BM Enforcer Gloves or Helmet. (Power/Acc) - Enh

Champion Enforcer Gloves or Helmet. (Surge/Power) -Enh

Okay so all this talk about champ saber being better than BM is stalker right? If I'm going full tanky I'd want BM survivor? Or is the champ better all around

Tank? Get BM Survivor Saber. DPS? Get Champion Stalker Saber. 1.2? Get Stalker BM and Stalker Champ Sabers.

Stacking all power doesn't seem like the most beneficial move.

IMO 300 Crit, 300 Surge, 150 accuracy and the rest power is the best move.

300 crit is the best bang for the buck and obtainable with only 2 mods dedicated to crit. Surge is a freebie stat due to power/surge enh and 150 accuracy fits perfect on the enhancement slots left after obtaining 300 surge. 150 accuracy also puts you at 95/105 accuracy so your double strike/spinning strike/low slash etc bypass IA,SW,and Merc defense chance and half of SI defense chance. Its the best bang for the buck again and definitely useful.

Running the setup mentioned above with 500 expertise I am at 450 bonus dmg 30% crit 95% accuracy and 75% surge AKA all the sweet spots. I really dont think the loss of crit is worth the extra power given the large benefits from crit at the lower end of the curve. I mean sure when using FP every 75 seconds or on PA project it is better but that isnt all of your DPS. Especially as balance giving up that crit is just foolish considering focused insight and adjucation. You're effectively wasting talent points there if you don't have crit and why even bother with surge if you're at 20% crit your DoTs/DS won't even be critting...

Your opinion of power vs other stats seems very narrow minded and doesn't seem to be taking the big picture into account as proven by how your video "proves" power is better using an auto crit scenario (Yes I realize power is better but the point is you used a situation that favored power and didn't look at the big picture.).

Power is DEFINITELY the BEST stat but ONLY and ONLY after the 300/300/150 sweet spots for DR. Before 300/300/150 I don't see power providing more DPS and I am confident the parses will prove it in 1.2.