The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

New 50 and PVP

ENIGMASOLVED

So I recently dinged lvl 50 and got a few pvp pieces from my saved commendations and bag.

I have been running the Iron-Fist spec and I do enjoy the mechanics of it quite a bit.

My issue is I feel that I could not kill a sick duck unless someone else has all ready slit it's throat.

I seems to me that Troopers are extremely gear orientated and without higher gear, I am really gimped.

I did not know if anyone had any guidance of suggestions on how to make this transition smoother. I am of course doing my dailies/weeklies and slowly gaining the commendations to get better gear. I did not know if one spec was better for under geared players then another.

Again, any input would be appreciated.:confused:

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do other than grind out unfun warzones as an inefffective fresh 50. I was in the same boat and eventually dropped my 50 in favor of an alt. 50 PvP is about 90% gear and 10% skill which is a real shame.

Stick it out and get your gear. At that point you should have stats enough to where skill will matter.

Edited by Vincire

Read the recent patch notes too. They have made it easier for you to get gear at lower "50" levels.

You can also use WZ/Merc comms to buy B/Champ comms now to speed up the process...

But ya, all you can do is grind away till you earn your higher gear.

Think of it as paying your dues and earning your stripes...;)

Gonna have to suck it up soldier! Adapt, improvise, and overcome!!!

Seriously though, it's been a little more difficult the last few days since there's more of the usual Ilum crowd in the warzones. They're making gains towards Ilum and WZ dailys/weekly at one time in one place...cant beat it...which I imagine was the dev's thoughts on why they changed it to this way...better, faster Q'd WZs.

Anyways, just save up 800 WZ coms for a champ bag, make sure MAKE SURE you do the PvP dailies and weeklys, EVERY WEEK and you'll have no problem getting geared out in a champion outfit. I'd also suggest trying to do some hardmodes in PvE to try and get some Columi gear to get 2 pieces from a set...that will give a nice set bonus for you. Of course, you may lose out on a 4 piece bonus...but the PvE bonus could provide a nice stepping stone until you can actually put together 4 pieces of Champion gear.

This is my own personal thought....so take it with a grain of salt....I'd skip the centurion gear. I ave cybertech and guildies that are artificers. With that...I made the armorings and mods (purples) for my orange gear and got some sweet enhancements from my guildmates for my gear. When I hit 50, my gear had a 124 rating...centurion and tionese is 126, FWI. Once I started doing the dailies and got the armorings from Ilum and the mods from Belsalvis, my gears went up to 126.... AT the level of tionese and centurion.

Now, I did give up the expertise rating, but I also had waaaay more crit, surge, and power than most of the other players I was going up against. Even now, as I level up and get more champ and columi gear, I'm still not at the crit and surge levels as I was with my orange gear. But, that just points to just how useful and necessary it is to mix and match mods from the end game gear.

Anyways, have fun and keep at it. You'll be on a level field soon enough!

LvL 50 pvp is NOT 90% gear... If you are a decent player, stick to team play and go for objectives (like you always should) pvp will be a challenging but not as bad as all the crybabies make it out to be. My marauder, using only the 6 bags every fresh 50 should have as soon as they hit 50, was never far off top kill and damage. Play smart, don't try to kill war hero tanks solo and you will be fine. centurion gear is super easy/fast to get and should close the gap enough to where gear can no longer be used as an excuse. Edited by Noxcid

guard the node, dont chase in civil war (use explosive surge to knock people off, LOS around node till help arrives), use taunts in massive fights (gives 30% dmg reduction to anyone not attacking you, if you guard healer then taunt whoever is harassing him, he will do very little dmg, plus u get protection points also)

harass healers in hutt ball, use storm +neural surge to score, harpoon people alot, preferably away from ball carrier and into acid

Voidstar - harass healers, again guard door, stand in someone else's aoe and harpoon healers into it, again by the door. storm guys with low health/stock strike, they should die.

this is what i recommend for shield spec vanguard. Have to kind of know ur role, now when u do get geared up, you'll start soloing peoples and ifyou have a dedicated healer, watch out. Alot of whiny vanguards get the notion that they are hard hitting burst class like scoundrel, news flash, ur not. But one on one u shouldn't really have a problem w/ any class save maybe a sorc/bh who's spec'd to heal somewhat.

If you are poorly geared, tab through onto someone who's already being attacked with low health. And PLEASE USE UR CRYO GRENADE AND AOE STUN. we dont get very many STUNS/CC so take advantage of what little we have. They should be used constantly. I see so many low 50's not use their tools properly, dont harpoon, don't storm, just sit there like a commando at range spamming hammer shot. UR PLAYING THE WRONG CLASS.

use riot strike. cryo, and neural surge to interrupt, depending one which one is on cooldown. also can harpoon them if they at range.

and dont worry, other classes have gear issue also, ask the fresh 50 inquisitor who only took off 8 percent health before he died one on one. that and some skill came into play of course

Edited by tombok