merc lev20 armor advice

im a casual player and somehow have leveled up my merc to level 20. im currently running around in balmora with a hotch potch of different armor.

im starting to think it would be nice to have a matching set of armor and was wondering if anyone knows of a decent set i can get for my level? im also sick of the helmet ive been wearing for the last few levels. it looks like a ww2 helmet with a dodgy green visor that makes me look like a 1970's cylon from battle star galactica! this is not a cool look by anyones standards !!

Edited by TheWiseRabbit

You only have three choices here tbh...

1- When you loot a new piece of armor that's better than the one you're already wearing, equip it. You don't always match, but you always have the best protection/stats you can get your hands on for free. Occasionally you can supplement this by buying slightly better armor from a commendations vendor. Optimum Choice, no cost to you, but you can end up looking a bit crappy. On the bright side, you won't be wearing the same mismatched crap for long.

2- Spend credits or planet tokens to buy a set of matching ORANGE gear that you can change the stats on. As you collect tokens you occasionally visit commendations mod vendor to buy ugrades for your gear, always upgrade armoring first, then mods and enhancements. Best choice if you want to have matching gear, startup can cost a bit much if you have to buy pieces off the GTN, but totally worth it in the long run if you just have to look pretty while you level up.

3- Every time you gain a couple levels you go on the GTN and buy all new matching gear or buy unmodable gear from a planet's commendation vendor. Not the most economically feasable plan, but if looks are more important than money you can go for it. Don't forget that if you spend all your money on new armor you may not be able to aford to train new skills later.

thanks for the advice bahdasz. after completing all the missions on hutta and before leaving i did spend my commendations on a chest plate that lasted me quite a few levels. apart from that i havent spent anything.

up until now ive only been equipping armor that is better than the last while concentrating on aim over anything else. i did go on gtn last night and picked up a cool looking red chest plate. unfortunately its not modable but has the highest stats ive managed to get so far. i now dont look like such a clown as even though i dont have a matching set they all look red (ish).

i have found out that i wont be getting a decent helmet 'til at least lev25 so i'll have to put up with my 1970's cylon/ww2 helmet for a while yet.

ive heard a lot about getting orange armor, why is it so good? so far i havent come across it but am keeping an eye out.