Don't you hate when they don't cuddle?

Kiphere

Just an observation from a guy who's been playin MMOs for... long enough to be embarassing.

After you (the developers) drop a major update like 1.1.5 or a bevy of announcements like we got from the guild summit yesterday it's a good idea to, ya know, snuggle a little with your community.

Come here, answer questions, be present. Make a point to take a day after some big content/info drops and actually answer some questions, clear up misconceptions, debate the flamers, etc. The rumor mills are already grinding up some of the tidbits from yesterday and restating some things incorrectly, at which point it propegates and becomes a fact for all intents and purposes which spawns more flames, more whiney posts, etc.

Come to your forums and post. Respond, talk, inform, debate, etc.

Or offer me a job, give me a list of info I'm allowed to talk about adn I'll go through all your forums and respond to people with official info in an actual community manager role. I don't need much, just a paycheck and some info on what I can talk about :p

Hell, I don't even live that far from austin :) (fort worth)

Hell, I don't even live that far from austin :) (fort worth)

Hello fellow Texan!

about your post, I think the dev's are afraid of this place. Whatever they say is going to be ridiculed by one camp or another. Just the same though, they should get over it, suck it up and tell us what is going on. Cowardice is no excuse for doing your job.

You fail. You aren't pompous enough or stroke your own ego enough to warrant a job with them. You want to actually help the community, not appease them with vague promises to keep them from unsubbing.

Go back and work on that and maybe they might give you an interview.

Pshaw. I live in Austin, have played MMO's long enough to be a fogey and have years of software QA experience I could leverage for both a player feel perspective and a "does it work" perspective.

I've got you beat :)

You're right though, as tough as it is with the entitled communities MMO's seem to breed these days, it's nice to feel like there's a more open communication path all-around.

If you ignore kids long enough they shut up or go away to find some one they can annoy and get a rise out of.

The forums could just use a little lovin with all the changes coming up. I imagine if they support productive posts and ignore flames/trolls they'll promote more positive behavior. You'll never be rid of the trolls and random jerks on forums BUT you can create a better environment by actively participating and having a strong presence in your community.

I just feel out in the dark sometimes with this game. In WoW, EQ, EQ2, and a variety of others I always felt like there was a developer presense on the forums, we get the very rare bone thrown out but it's rare and generally insubstantial.

--they're gone. the mostly contract group who created swtor.

--the group still there is for "touch up", maintenance, bug fixes, and is absolutely as small as possible, with bean counters crying they should be cut even more.