Nub question: companions with scattergun offhands

Farmbuyer

For the companions that start with a (green, typically crappy) scattergun in their offhand, is there a particular point to keeping a scattergun equipped?

The scattergun tooltips themselves say "this weapon is only used by like 3 abilities so what the hell". For players, obviously, there are abilities which require you to have one, so that's all good.

But what about companions? None of the abilities I see on a companion's list of abilities say "requires one of them shotgun thingies". Can I just toss the scattergun and replace it with a moddable weapon of a type that they can use, say, blaster pistol?

Edited by Farmbuyer

/facepalm

Because it's tedious and expensive to do so for no reason other than experimenting, and I thought a helpful community might be able to provide an experienced answer? You know, like the word "community" implies?

Seriously, if you can't say anything constructive, don't post.

Edited by Farmbuyer

/facepalm

Because it's tedious and expensive to do so for no reason other than experimenting, and I thought a helpful community might be able to provide an experienced answer? You know, like the word "community" implies?

Seriously, if you can't say anything constructive, don't post.

Just like you can not equip your scoundrel with a second blaster or a generator, your companions are similarly limited in what they can be equipped with.

Mako uses a knife. Period. Doesn't matter how good that shotgun that you just found is, or if that blaster pistol would offer better off-hand stats, she uses a knife.

You can look at the companion tab in the abilities window when they are with you and see what they have.

Or you can make sure that you have the appropriate companion summoned, open your inventory, open your character sheet, and then open the companion tab.

Is that off-hand weapon, generator, focus, or shield blacked out? Then you can't equip them.

If not, then compare the stats and see if it's worth equipping the item in question.

For the companions that start with a (green, typically crappy) scattergun in their offhand, is there a particular point to keeping a scattergun equipped?

The scattergun tooltips themselves say "this weapon is only used by like 3 abilities so what the hell". For players, obviously, there are abilities which require you to have one, so that's all good.

But what about companions? None of the abilities I see on a companion's list of abilities say "requires one of them shotgun thingies". Can I just toss the scattergun and replace it with a moddable weapon of a type that they can use, say, blaster pistol?

Like the poster above me said, maybe they can't even use anything else. To see if you can equip a 2nd weapon you can look at your companion's skills (press "p", then look at the last tab). Specifically look for a skill that says "weapon proficiency: dual wield" if they don't have that they can't equip 2 weapons at once. Worth checking out before you shelf out the cash for a new weapon :).

Edited by Rhaphael

Is that off-hand weapon, generator, focus, or shield blacked out? Then you can't equip them.

If not, then compare the stats and see if it's worth equipping the item in question.

I know about the generalized restrictions, I was wondering about scatterguns in particular.

If they're just "stat sticks" like everything else, then great, I'll treat them as such and compare them as such.

If there's some unique scattergun-only ability that simply doesn't mention it on the tooltip (which I've learned is not uncommon), then I need to keep the scattergun around.

For example, Tharan can use blaster pistols. If I can toss an orange blaster pistol in his offhand, then it's worth spending the time and effort to acquire one. If it's going to turn out that one of his abilities actually requires a scattergun but due to a bug doesn't list that... you see where I'm going with this. :-)

For example, Tharan can use blaster pistols. If I can toss an orange blaster pistol in his offhand, then it's worth spending the time and effort to acquire one. If it's going to turn out that one of his abilities actually requires a scattergun but due to a bug doesn't list that... you see where I'm going with this. :-)

He can use Blaster Pistols, but can he dual wield them?

I just checked for you on Torhead, and he doesn't have the dual wield skill so he can't. I'm afraid you're stuck with using a Scattergun in his offhand after all.

Edited by Rhaphael

He can use Blaster Pistols, but can he dual wield them?

Aha! That was the crucial bit of info that I was missing. Thank you muchly.

My next quest is to find out exactly what "other one-handed melee weapons tied to the Aim attribute" are out there besides actual techblades. Assuming that there are any and the text isn't just another bug.

Cheers.