The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Who's the best companion for a Shadow?

Ex_Dre

Qyzen coz he burps to speak

me - *deals last blow to a strong opponent* ..and done! well, that wasn't so hard, was it?

qyzen - *BURP*

-edit- also, i can space bar thru his cutscenes without feeling bad about not appreciating the voicework

Edited by GARhenus

Overall, a healing companion makes things easier no matter what the spec. However, I find that on my shadow as Kinetic, i have less of an issue without heals then I do on my Jugg (solo). I think part of it's the self-healing aspect of the Kinetic, plus the shield talent (which helps out a great deal against smaller groups of mobs). so I don't feel the loss running with a DPS companion as i do on my jugg. However, at gear levels that exceed columi, it's really a moot point. On my jugg, I kill things fast enough solo that I don't need the extra DPS from my comp. the heals only insure that my health never really dips. at all. DPS companion kills faster, but trash dies so fast at those higher gear levels that my comp almost doesn't have time to hit anything much.

Tanks spec is different...but so far (my kinetic's only 42), my shadow kills things faster in tank form then my jugg did, so that helps out allot. I would honestly try both...gear up theran, and one of your DPS (pick your poison...Nadia is cute, and my extra gear can go to her, so thats a no brainer for me), and see what you like the most. even though I take very little damage on my jugg at this point, I still prefer running with my healer (quinn). It's my own personal preference, but I get irritated when I have to stop and heal. but I may not do that with my shadow. but keep both available....even with a DPS comp, you'll probably still want your healer for heroics (soloing them is fun on my shadow....can't do that well on my jugg).

Another note: make sure ou keep the two comps equally geared. it's very easy for one comp to feel worse then the other when they're not as well geared, and your not used to working with them. Each companion you use changes your playstyle due to their inherent strengths. A DPS comp speeds up killing, but you tend to focus more on holding the extra mobs and using mitigation skills. with a healing comp, you can go full bore on everything (and honestly, my heal comps have tanked more mobs then I thought they could). Heck, I've even had quinn almost finish off elites on his own (yes, healing comps do Damage :), you just have to enable their damage stance). but he'll finish off weak mobs even in healing stance. so either works fine.