The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

I think I've made a mistake.

Hakkz

Umm... I solo'd every elite I came across leveling up, almost all of them are interuptable on their hard hitting abilities, but otherwise function like a strong that ate a bunch of protein bars. The most challenging fights were actually two strongs, with no CC you had to take quite a bit of damage to kill one, and hope you had enough health to kill the second (usually the case though not always).

At end game vanguards are quite good tanks (being absorption tanks they are easy on healers), and assault specd vanguards are very dangerous in the BGs (a well played vanguard should eat commandos alive). DPS in PvE seems so so, I was usually middle of the pack on the council fight in EV, despite using cool downs and managing ammo well, but without meters it's hard to say for certain.

If your looking for a straight dps class, I'd go sentinel for melee or commando for ranged. If your looking to tank or run as damage in BGs, Vanguard is a solid choice.

did'nt mean it like that... anyone can take an elite 1v1.. it sounded to me like he was trying to solo heroics when he mentioned elites and bosses

Sounds like the OP is feeling neither fish nor fowl and getting ground into hamburger because of it.

Me, I'm one of those perpetual Assault Vanguards. What I tell oft-dying types is this- you want to facetank, you go Shield and you have Elara on med watch and remember it doesn't make you immortal, merely very tough to kill. If it's big enough or there's enough of it, you will go down.

You want to tear big mobs down by using the terrain and kiting properly, you go Assault and you learn how to fight with your feet as well as your gun. That your "damage mitigation" is best when Aric has just blown something's face off for you while you keep them looking at you, and that sometimes you have the companion soak up some damage before taking it yourself. And that the nice solid wall you just put between you and the incoming fire is the best armor you can wear, and being able to break line-of-sight at will drives the bad guys batty. Best part about it for me is Assault works very well in hit-and-run. If you can't take the whole group, you can pick apart pieces of the group and outrun the rest, then come back for another helping until they're all gone.

TIPS

- start with this. Use ion cell all the time, even when dps.

- keep your ammo close to full.. use hammer shot every other ability until you know what you are doing.

- keep your gear, especially your barrel, up to date. use a purple barrel if possible.

I am not kidding when I say vanguard pve is silly easy. You must be doing something wrong. Help us help you. Walk us through how you do things. Maybe we can then suggest concrete advice.

Edited by ururururu

Left my Commando 66valor (gunnery) for Vanguard (60). Vanguard assault is just perfect for pvp. Great dps, interrupts, taunts, aoe stun.... amazing tools for pvp. Commando can express only burst damage which can be shut down fast, that's all. Commando requires good position for anihillation but smart premades will never let u just stand and destroy their team. You'll be crushed first when your healer is under control, trust me :) More over smart players never fight in the field, they always hide making you come closer. When you approach them - you're dead. The last arguement - when you stand alone far from your team, you're a perfect target for operatives/ssins. No one will come and help you because you hid too well :) When i play my vanguard i search for the weakest targets or more dangerous for my team. Mercs/gunery are both. The sweetest goal for me. Easy to shut, easy to kill, great damage dealer is cut off from the fight.

If you plan to play in pugs in low rate (1.2), gunnery is just ok. Simple as 2+2, doesn't need great gear (2 columi is enough for good results), can heal in combat if not focused. But if you want something more than just pew pew pew BANG!, want to plan your tactics, to fight not suk in melee - Vanguard is your choice.

P.S.

It's illusion that you can just stand and destroy all around with your gunnery commando. It was so in the beginning not now. Peeps realized what kind of **** the AC is and just laugh in your face interrupting you when trying to cast your gravs/tracer in melee fight.

As for your lvling. You're definitely doing smth wrong. AS build for Vanguard is just fine. Don't forget u can kite elites easily.

Edited by dejavy

did'nt mean it like that... anyone can take an elite 1v1.. it sounded to me like he was trying to solo heroics when he mentioned elites and bosses

Vanguards can solo heroics... At least shield spec can. I was soloing heroic 4s when they were green.

I play pyro VG, and I make it my mission to kill commandos and mercs. The only ones I can't take down easily or at all are the really geared healing ones, that just heal and heal and throw out a damage cast every now and again.

I have 50 merc too, and I went back to my VG and leveled her because I found it to suit my style way more.