Server transfer going to cause problems ???

lethal_ghost

When server transfers become available, do you not think a lot of people will move to high populated servers, leaving the less populated ones even more deserted.

I will swap to a better population server as soon as i get the chance, and im sure many others will. How will BW stop mass exoduses from servers if it did happen ?

What you do is say free transfers from X, Y, Z server's to A, B, C servers (whatever the number is). X, Y and Z eventually get shutdown. If you want a different transfer from the ones they said are free, then you pay. Something along those lines is how I assume they would work it. Edited by Etilrellim
deep thoughts!

Transfers are still speculation at this point, no?

We do not know when they are going to add the initial content, especially end game. Once they do that there will be a strong influx of players, either new, or all those that raced to 50 previously. We don't want to get into a situation where we are facing long queues....and of course, seeing the boards inundated with complaints about them.

If you start to see 2 or more servers running at less than 50% capacity it makes commercial sense to merge them. I am in no doubt that server merges will come along, but not just yet, lets wait until after the Asian release has settled down

Server transfers are not going to fix the population imbalance.

All of the folks demanding them are shortsighted and don't fully understand the problem.

The majority of server populations are just fine on the Empire side so when you allow free transfers you will get a few more servers with healthy Republic pops (a good thing) but this will result in many servers with healthy Empire pops and no Republic players to play with.

Server transfers should not happen until population balance is addressed.

Server transfers are not going to fix the population imbalance.

All of the folks demanding them are shortsighted and don't fully understand the problem.

The majority of server populations are just fine on the Empire side so when you allow free transfers you will get a few more servers with healthy Republic pops (a good thing) but this will result in many servers with healthy Empire pops and no Republic players to play with.

Server transfers should not happen until population balance is addressed.

Sadly I think in balance is a completely different problem to server merges and in general a very complex subject. The problem with imbalance is that it frequently drives more imbalance as player like to be on the popular side

an option is to remove breed and class from being faction based, and allowing people to switch between republic and imperial

Sadly I think in balance is a completely different problem to server merges and in general a very complex subject. The problem with imbalance is that it frequently drives more imbalance as player like to be on the popular side

an option is to remove breed and class from being faction based, and allowing people to switch between republic and imperial

Yes they are completely different problems.

That does not detract from the fact that if you allow free transfers (ie. people can move wherever they want with no direction) this will exacerbate the problem.

Let me draw it out for you.

If a server has a healthy Empire pop and an unhealthy republic pop and transfers are open, the person playing Empire is far less inclined to move from said server while the people on the Republic side will move as soon as given the chance. The result will be servers that are even more lopsided than they are now and many many many angry Empire pvpr's who have no republic to play with.

As stated before, server mergers before the population imbalance is addressed will cause...wait for it...more imbalance and could very well result in servers with bigger population problems than we have already (ie. servers where there are no republic players while maintaining healthy Empire pops.)

Yes they are completely different problems.

That does not detract from the fact that if you allow free transfers (ie. people can move wherever they want with no direction) this will exacerbate the problem.

Let me draw it out for you.

If a server has a healthy Empire pop and an unhealthy republic pop and transfers are open, the person playing Empire is far less inclined to move from said server while the people on the Republic side will move as soon as given the chance. The result will be servers that are even more lopsided than they are now and many many many angry Empire pvpr's who have no republic to play with.

As stated before, server mergers before the population imbalance is addressed will cause...wait for it...more imbalance and could very well result in servers with bigger population problems than we have already (ie. servers where there are no republic players while maintaining healthy Empire pops.)

I think your arguing with me yet I have the same opinion, I think the solution is to make more republic players, and to do that allow side transfers and keep the same class/breed.

The way bioware works...they offer transfer and then force merge you....so you have a choice and then if you do not opt in for it, then you are force merged.

plans for a merge are in the works for this week

Very much doubt we'll anything like server merging for atleast a year.

They'll hint at it and later slip some news on the matter from time to time to subdue the mass's. Thats the EaWare's way. ^_^

I think the population on my server has dropped by about half (from the look of it) in the last couple weeks. You can tell that all the launch subscriptions are running out and people aren't re-subbing. Darn right I'd I move to a higher pop server if I could, if the population doesn't get better soon, they might be losing another subscription, ya hurd?

Sadly I think in balance is a completely different problem to server merges and in general a very complex subject. The problem with imbalance is that it frequently drives more imbalance as player like to be on the popular side an option is to remove breed and class from being faction based, and allowing people to switch between republic and imperial

I've been thinking the same thing from the beginning. SWG was HORRIBLE for that stuff, to the point where they had to put lockout timers on faction changes. One month 4:1 rebel, then one or two guilds would get fed up and switch factions and within a week or two the whole server follows and it's 4:1 imp. But at least people could change sides and attempt to balance it out. They should remove class/faction restrictions, allow faction change, and regulate it no more than a 45%-65% imbalance. You want to switch to alliance because they're are so many and they're beating you all teh time? Too bad, they already dominate the server, you have to wait until some of them get tired of nobody fighting them any more and switch to imperial.

Edited by bahdasz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.