Feedback on life past 50 (In game!)

Krozis

First post on the SWTOR forums... but I really didn't know if I should because there is just so much negativity. But I don't know any 50 ops in game, so I"m asking sincerely here...

How would you rate your post 50 experience? I hear so much negativity... I really don't know what to make of it.

Here's the situation: I have a lot of character... I mean a lot. Been playing since official release pretty much and haven't stopped since. I love this game overall.

Highest character is a nearly 50 Juggernaut, and most of my other characters are in their 30's.

I think overall I actually love the Operative storyline the most which surprised me....

Anyway, I find I log the character in, and have a blast, but come here, and it's all doom and gloom for seemingly the majority of people who have hit 50.

I have it down the this Op and another character. I think I would go Operative, but I just don't want to be pigeon holed into being a healer in order to find 'work' in the post game.

Maybe I'll ask like this: (For level 50 ops)

- Knowing what you know now, would you still play the character?

- I PVP a ton.... is there more than healing that is valid in post game? (Post 'nerf' I read a lot of concealment is too weak, and issues with Lethality and healing.)

- In PVE, do you feel you're as productive as your guildmates? Or whatever group you're in?

I'd appreciate sincere feedback. The thing about this game is something can feel so different at 15- 25 -35 etc. I am relying on you folks to give me an honest run down.

Thanks.

- I PVP a ton.... is there more than healing that is valid in post game? (Post 'nerf' I read a lot of concealment is too weak, and issues with Lethality and healing.)

- In PVE, do you feel you're as productive as your guildmates? Or whatever group you're in?

Yes, absolutely. I love the class, I love the flavor, and I love that I can choose to heal or DPS. I'd rather choose between healing and tanking, but I'll take this comfortable mix. The only class I'd consider other than this class is perhaps the Merc, but Tracer Missile spam isn't entertaining to me.

We're not "fine" but we are capable. You can do well, and most Operatives I see do significantly well. It just takes skill to be on par others that don't try as hard. Essentially, if you're equal geared with better skill, you'll be on par with others, but if you're equal geared and equal skill, it's an exceptionally tough fight. There are bound to be fixes in the works, so don't worry too much.

I'm very productive...though I'd probably be more productive as a Maurader. On the other hand, I don't die, I offer off-heals when necessary, and my damage is significant in some situations. We're just situationally valuable, and others can fill our role easier.

Healing is the only spec where outstanding gameplay can produce better than average performance. Even then you're not going match a good Sorc, but you can at least keep up with the Mercs.

Even if Concealment or Lethality DPS was competitive with other melee (it isn't, except for Juggs) they have gap closers for greater uptime and don't lose 30% of their damage when they can't get behind a target.

Now Infernal Council is the only raid boss that you can't stay behind, but the problem is backstab has serious issues targeting larger than man-size objects. Moving off to the side helps with the "You aren't behind the target" errors, but some bosses will still give you "You can't see that target" errors until you find just the right spot.

In short, anything other than heals is mediocre at best.

I hit 50, did 2 ops and had 80% of my t1 gear. Did another half dozen over a month and now am around 50% rakata.

Outside of pvp? There's nothing that'll make my toon stronger outside of hardmodes. (due to the barrel mods issue. I have a sweet augmented orange gun already that is 90% max modded. Any mod I grab of a higher level won't actually impact my gun except the barrel. I hit pvp rank 60 and my damage goes up 10% or so.)

Basically i'm bored. Nothing to do after a month of not leveling fast.

So far, 1 positive response. Three negatives.

Is it -that- bad PVPing with the class at 50? Should I take this stuff with a grain of salt? I know there's still some sour opinion since the surge, and knockdown nerf.... and the coming dot nerf (minor).... but do these things really break it at end game?

Some one on Oldrepublic.net stated that as an Operative at level 50, PvE healing is pretty much all you can really do.........Kinda ruins the fun playing an Operative, but hey....Story line's great so far for myself. Plus if I wanted to play PvP, I can just switch to my level 50 powertech. Edited by LG_XxLegacyxX

It isn't so much that Operatives are broken or horrible or "don't work".

The problem is Operatives simply bring absolutely nothing that another class couldn't do as well if not better.

On top of that, Operatives have a horribly designed kit with little to no group synergy and mish-mashed utility that simply doesn't work - you aren't going to get a heal off as Concealment spec in melee range, and you don't want your healer with mediocre/sub-par defensive cooldowns hugging the enemy just so you can use your CC/interrupts.

In other words, they not only don't do anything better than any other class, they actually bring less (practical) utility to the table than any other class performing the same roles.

Blame the class balance "scorecard".

It sees stealth, so we can't have a lot of other utility.

It sees heals, so we can't have a lot of sustainable damage.

It sees burst damage, so we can't have powerful burst heals with a cooldown.

And on top of that, it apparently balances instant cast heals by making them ~75% less effective.

If you want to play an op play it. I find ops to be the most interesting class i have played, and are completely viable for operations. You do not have to go heals to do end game. I have cleared all of nightmare and have the unyielding title as a concealment op. Even nightmare isnt that difficult (outside of soa) and although it is harder to play than most classes i feel that it is on par if played right.

It isn't so much that Operatives are broken or horrible or "don't work".

The problem is Operatives simply bring absolutely nothing that another class couldn't do as well if not better.

On top of that, Operatives have a horribly designed kit with little to no group synergy and mish-mashed utility that simply doesn't work - you aren't going to get a heal off as Concealment spec in melee range, and you don't want your healer with mediocre/sub-par defensive cooldowns hugging the enemy just so you can use your CC/interrupts.

In other words, they not only don't do anything better than any other class, they actually bring less (practical) utility to the table than any other class performing the same roles.

Blame the class balance "scorecard".

It sees stealth, so we can't have a lot of other utility.

It sees heals, so we can't have a lot of sustainable damage.

It sees burst damage, so we can't have powerful burst heals with a cooldown.

And on top of that, it apparently balances instant cast heals by making them ~75% less effective.

This is a very good explanation.

If you want to play an op play it. I find ops to be the most interesting class i have played, and are completely viable for operations. You do not have to go heals to do end game. I have cleared all of nightmare and have the unyielding title as a concealment op. Even nightmare isnt that difficult (outside of soa) and although it is harder to play than most classes i feel that it is on par if played right.

Pretty much this.

Unless you are running Nightmare Modes and trying to look at Min/Max compositions it will hardly matter what you bring. Lets face it, the difficulty of PVE in this game at the moment is a absolute Joke. I have a 50 smuggler and and now almost 50 with my IA. I love the way the class plays. IA could use some buffs to key talents such as DS and AoE healing but the class is fun to play.

Skill will always be greater than class.

First post on the SWTOR forums... but I really didn't know if I should because there is just so much negativity. But I don't know any 50 ops in game, so I"m asking sincerely here...

How would you rate your post 50 experience? I hear so much negativity... I really don't know what to make of it.

Here's the situation: I have a lot of character... I mean a lot. Been playing since official release pretty much and haven't stopped since. I love this game overall.

Highest character is a nearly 50 Juggernaut, and most of my other characters are in their 30's.

I think overall I actually love the Operative storyline the most which surprised me....

Anyway, I find I log the character in, and have a blast, but come here, and it's all doom and gloom for seemingly the majority of people who have hit 50.

I have it down the this Op and another character. I think I would go Operative, but I just don't want to be pigeon holed into being a healer in order to find 'work' in the post game.

Maybe I'll ask like this: (For level 50 ops)

I'd appreciate sincere feedback. The thing about this game is something can feel so different at 15- 25 -35 etc. I am relying on you folks to give me an honest run down.

Thanks.

If you are a good player you will be fine. We could use some tweaking but the doom and gloom on the forums is drastically over dramatic. If you love your OP like I do and can play it well, you will be fine.