(Watchman) Merciless Slash vs. Slash with 15% extra crit

Skoze

I'm trying to figure out if I want to take merciless slash instead of focusing on just slash with the 15% crit boost by putting enough points in focus for it. The measurement is basically between strike + merciless slash (2 GCDs) and 2 slashes (also 2 GCDs.) I don't know which way gets the nod for best raw damage output since I don't know if MS literally does as much damage as 2 slashes. Then it's a question of if the 15% extra crit chance on the slashes is worth the extra focus cost and makes up for not having the strike hit as far as damage goes.

Strike + merciless slash

Pros:

-total focus cost of 2

-able to take more utility talents like an extra focus on force leap

Cons:

-only 4 centering

-have to build more focus to use, the real damage is after 5 focus is built

2x slash with 15% extra crit chance (from swift slash in the focus tree)

Pros:

-builds 8 centering

-15% extra crit chance makes for a great spammable skill

-requires less focus to throw out a slash than a MS

-one less button to push

Cons:

-total focus cost of 4

-requires skill points to be spent in specific places and swift slash takes 2 skill points to the 1 it takes to buy MS

I'm not sure picking up swift slash is worth it if you're not spamming slash either since it improves a skill you're not using regularly. Specific damage number of what MS hits for compared to slash would probably be helpful. Thoughts?

Edited by Skoze

Yeah, I'm going to have to agree that Merciless > 2x Slash, for reasons that have already been stated.

Pretty much the way I look at it is if you're spec'ed into Watchman, by the time you get up to 40, Slash becomes a secondary thought. I only use it when everything else is on CD. I've got to burn through Merciless, Cauterize, Overload Saber, Zealous Strike and Master Strike before I consider dropping a Slash in there.

To me it's not worth dropping extra points to spec the Slash crit. You've got enough skills that should be higher priority than Slash.