The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Vanguard PVE tanking theorycrafting

Spifff

The taugrim guides have all the info i could want on PVP vanguards. But where is the best resource for detailed PVE information? Many threads here talking about it in general (like the sticky) but none that help you calculate which stats are best at your current gear. Looking for specific stat weights on defense/shield/absorb and such.

Any thoughts appreciated

The taugrim guides have all the info i could want on PVP vanguards. But where is the best resource for detailed PVE information? Many threads here talking about it in general (like the sticky) but none that help you calculate which stats are best at your current gear. Looking for specific stat weights on defense/shield/absorb and such.

Any thoughts appreciated

That would be interesting info to have. But honestly i've found that PVP builds are more than adequate for PVE. And I haven't come accross a "PVE only" build that I thought was better than my current PVP when I tested it.

I know somewhere i read about how vanguards were 'shield tanks' while guardians are 'defense tanks'. Essentially saying that vanguards should take shield/absorb over defense. Is that right? And if so, to what extent?

i'm sure someone has done calculations. Focus on sheild/absorb until X% and then get more defense. Or whenever defense % is within Y% of sheild change go for more shield instead. etc etc etc.

Essentially i'm doing illum/belsavis dailies and when i get the mods/enhancements i have to choose wether to take the +defense ones or the +shield/absorb ones and just wondering how to go about making this decision.

I play a vanguard tank, recently been focusing on downing the hm ops. (currently 9/10, just need to down soa)

for most intents and purposes I play the main tank. I use this spec, shamelessly taken from a member of these boards (I believe his name was green lantern) http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#801G0GrdorogzZMcbZ0c.1

The spec focuses 100% on tanking and maintaining agro. The 3% endurance breaks down to around +600 hp and only get better based on your gear. Another viable option would be a 30/11 gut spec. Having 2 dots helps a lot in holding agro, and eb is not a flashy skill. However with eb I can use a more aggressive rotation, and I believe overall damage is increased by having it and not using gut (and i get the 3% endurance)

Our tank spec gives us additional shield chance, so it only makes sense to buff shield rating/absorb instead of defense rating. I don't have exact numbers but the pve supercommando sets are pretty solid. However a lot of end game gear gives ridiculous accuracy ratings, which only helps 2 of our abilities. The more the better, but there will always be diminishing returns on shield chance/absorb from the get go.

If you're looking to do HM flashpoints then a hybrid pvp (a la taugrim or parakeet) will be sufficient if you are decently geared. You will likely even be able to get through normal mode ops with decent gear and a hybrid build. You will also be causing additional stress on your healer, which is always bad. If you know you're gonna be doing some of the harder pve content it will always be better to use a full tank spec than a hybrid. When I pvp I do not change my spec, and I am still a BA.

I would really know how much shield/absorb/defense should I have (in %) before I am ready to take on the hard modes. Does anyone know?

I have seen a lot of information on diminishing returns on surge, critical and accuracy, but none on shield/absorb/defense. Since I have a few pieces with augment slots, it would be really handy to know what to improve!

I am currently running somewhere around 25-30% chance with 35-40% aborb, maybe a bit less and I run HM FP and Ops, 4, 8 and 16 man. I was doing them with lesser gear also.

Both shield chance and absorb are capped at 50% anyway as far as I know.

Edited by Loxion