Comat medic Healing

livereater

There is unavoidable damage to DPS too. I don't know what you are trying to prove. Tanks won't always click their cooldowns on time, if at all, and DPS won't always move out of stuff appropriately. Welcome to Internet gaming, where connections are different speeds and some players are in different countries and can't be on the same page. Eight players won't play or perform perfectly all the time. Experience overcomes a lot though.

Seriously not sure why I bother trying to explain the painfully obvious to the willfully ignorant, but non-avoidable damage will be felt no matter how good a group is, therefore you can easily model having to deal with it.

We also don't even need to know that much, we can easily model a range of DPS from very low (just standing around doing HS every now and then) to very high (max sustained HPS and tank still dies) and evaluate the average benefit of the stat over that range, or any range in between. So you can have X DPS if the group is optimal, and Y if they stand in fire, and average them and call it "some people in fire, some not, typical results."

Again...none of that is hard to do, although somehow it is impossible for you to grasp the concept of.

Wow.

/retired

Only not. Playing an Operative (Healing) now to experience the other side of the game and see why people are complaining about it.

Whiners will never stop whining, it's in their nature. I have played dozens of MMO's and dealt with real disadvantages. SWTOR is so much better from launch than most. Not perfect, but better.

Do you see anything at all wrong with this approach? You couldn't say "I heard this class was underpowered, so I decided to roll one as a test of my skill and to see if what I'd heard was true." Instead you approach it with the mindset of "Despite knowing nothing about this class, everyone calling it underpowered is a whiner, and I, being awesome, shall now roll one to disprove through one anecdotal observation that there is anything wrong."

Pheebe convinced me that maybe you were a decent person who I just got off on the wrong foot with, and that it was worth giving you a second chance, but you have thoroughly convinced me this is not the case.

You are absolutely not worth my time.

You are absolutely not worth my time.

The feeling is mutual.

/signed 10/10 Nightmare Combat Medic

P.S. I wish it was easier to heal so I could try less.

P.P.S. Maybe if I had a less successful group, I could understand better. I feel like I'm losing out on the "I'm not as good as a sage" phase.

The feeling is mutual.

/signed 10/10 Nightmare Combat Medic

P.S. I wish it was easier to heal so I could try less.

P.P.S. Maybe if I had a less successful group, I could understand better. I feel like I'm losing out on the "I'm not as good as a sage" phase.

At this point its mathematically proven if your a Grade A+ commando healer, and you very well may be, you CAN do any and all content in this game with success. They are viable in any healing scenario, they just have to work harder than a sage. If you were a sage, you would be a Grade A+++ healer.

You can say whatever you want, but facts are facts. Sages have it easier than the other healers completing content, if gear/skill is equal between players. To argue otherwise is to just troll, and you are fully well aware of that fact. 2+2 in fact does always = 4, no matter how much you might try to say otherwise.

People like to incite others on the internet because its anonymous and it fills some void they have in their own real life. I dont see why RuQu bothered this long. Hopefully you have found whatever you were seeking.

My guild are in need of healers for operations, but ive been reading and been told that combat medic's suck for operations, is it true and does it depend on the player or overall combat medic's need a buff ?

My guild has just started doing HM Ops and I am the combat medic for the guild. The other main healer is a sage. Instead of debating which one is a better healer, our discussion has led to the conclusion that combat medics excel at single target healing per GCD vs a sage. It is the synergy between us that makes it worth using different healers instead of stacking sages, for example. This will become even more apparent when patch 1.2? increases the number of people affected by KB.

In my opinion, this is what BW wanted when they created these healing specs. That is not to say that 2 sages or 2 combat medics couldn't heal an Ops. Sitting around comparing which healer is better just degrades into my e-peen is bigger than yours which does not help.

As a side note about a "smart" KB, why use this AoE heal if you are more concerned about a particular target? If you are using it for the bonus to healing, center it on the person you are most concerned about instead of making the developer make that decision for you.

My guild has just started doing HM Ops and I am the combat medic for the guild. The other main healer is a sage. Instead of debating which one is a better healer, our discussion has led to the conclusion that combat medics excel at single target healing per GCD vs a sage. It is the synergy between us that makes it worth using different healers instead of stacking sages, for example. This will become even more apparent when patch 1.2? increases the number of people affected by KB.

If the CM is better at single target and the Sage at AoE, why does an AoE buff to CM's make these niches more apparent?

In my opinion, this is what BW wanted when they created these healing specs. That is not to say that 2 sages or 2 combat medics couldn't heal an Ops. Sitting around comparing which healer is better just degrades into my e-peen is bigger than yours which does not help.

Your opinion of their intent conflicts with their stated intent:

Georg Zoeller: Our stance is that all full healer specs should be viable for all type of content, ... but overall, every healer archetype is capable of successfully healing through any Operations and Flashpoint content in the game (currently and in the future).

As a side note about a "smart" KB, why use this AoE heal if you are more concerned about a particular target? If you are using it for the bonus to healing, center it on the person you are most concerned about instead of making the developer make that decision for you.

That works (mostly) if I am just interested in it for the bonus to healing. However, if we want to discuss it as an AoE heal, smart-healing becomes a pretty major consideration.

Let's take 5 players, named A-E. Person A is in the most need of healing, persons B and C are also wounded, and persons D and E are uninjured.

Now, you can center your KB on person A, that will ensure he gets healed, but if the two players closest to him are D and E, you wasted 2/3 of it, and it would be more efficient to just cast AP or MP on player A...and thus KB is highly devalued in this situation.

Or, you can see that players B and C are to the left of A, and D and E are to the right, so you center the KB halfway between A and BC. Now all of them get healed. But if B is standing with D, and C with E, now you can only heal, at most, A and one other.

If they all group up with no spread so you have ABCDE together, you have zero control over who it hits and it may not even hit A if they are tight enough.

Now compare that to Salvation. Cast it centered on A. B, C, D, and E will all also get healed, although it is wasted on D and E. If B and C are slightly out of the radius, they see it and know to move to it.

Not only is that FAR easier to do, and guaranteed to heal who you want to heal, it also heals for double what KB does, per person in equal time.

Now, make KB have smart healing...If B and C are on opposite sides of A, I can still only heal 2 of them, and, because it is instant and doesn't persist on the ground, they can't run into the green fart cloud. That's fine, it is a weakness inherent in the mechanic of applying the heal instantly instead of as a HoT on the ground, and I perfectly accept that. However, if BCD are clustered together and A is slightly apart, I can land KB between them and know it will ignore D and heal the three I want. Likewise if they are all tightly clustered, it will heal ABC and ignore DE.

Does that make the inherent weakness of a capped, non-smart heal vs an uncapped heal clearer? I realize it is a little convoluted to describe that way, but the only other option is a series of pictures made in Paint which I don't have time for.

Sages have it easier than the other healers completing content, if gear/skill is equal between players. To argue otherwise is to just troll, and you are fully well aware of that fact.

First of all, again there aren't damage/healing meters so it's speculation that Sages are better healers. My guild spent 4-5 nights working on Nightmare Soa. A combination of healers. I healed with a Sage. A Scoundrel healed with a Sage. Then the Scoundrel and I healed together and we got it. And we both agreed it was easier without the sage.

I am not trolling, I am talking from experience in the game, not forum rumors, err, perceived theory.

I can't wait till logs are available but it's been stated that won't come in 1.2. So, let's keep arguing. Woohoo...

If the CM is better at single target and the Sage at AoE, why does an AoE buff to CM's make these niches more apparent?

Your opinion of their intent conflicts with their stated intent:

That works (mostly) if I am just interested in it for the bonus to healing. However, if we want to discuss it as an AoE heal, smart-healing becomes a pretty major consideration.

Let's take 5 players, named A-E. Person A is in the most need of healing, persons B and C are also wounded, and persons D and E are uninjured.

Now, you can center your KB on person A, that will ensure he gets healed, but if the two players closest to him are D and E, you wasted 2/3 of it, and it would be more efficient to just cast AP or MP on player A...and thus KB is highly devalued in this situation.

Or, you can see that players B and C are to the left of A, and D and E are to the right, so you center the KB halfway between A and BC. Now all of them get healed. But if B is standing with D, and C with E, now you can only heal, at most, A and one other.

If they all group up with no spread so you have ABCDE together, you have zero control over who it hits and it may not even hit A if they are tight enough.

Now compare that to Salvation. Cast it centered on A. B, C, D, and E will all also get healed, although it is wasted on D and E. If B and C are slightly out of the radius, they see it and know to move to it.

Not only is that FAR easier to do, and guaranteed to heal who you want to heal, it also heals for double what KB does, per person in equal time.

Now, make KB have smart healing...If B and C are on opposite sides of A, I can still only heal 2 of them, and, because it is instant and doesn't persist on the ground, they can't run into the green fart cloud. That's fine, it is a weakness inherent in the mechanic of applying the heal instantly instead of as a HoT on the ground, and I perfectly accept that. However, if BCD are clustered together and A is slightly apart, I can land KB between them and know it will ignore D and heal the three I want. Likewise if they are all tightly clustered, it will heal ABC and ignore DE.

Does that make the inherent weakness of a capped, non-smart heal vs an uncapped heal clearer? I realize it is a little convoluted to describe that way, but the only other option is a series of pictures made in Paint which I don't have time for.

Concerning the first quoted text: The example about the AoE buff was to illustrate the increased synergy between the two healers not the niche factors of each one. I failed to clarify that when our sage and I do compared healings on a single target, the CM does more healing per GCD than the sage. Now when it comes to a group, then yes the CM does lack considerably in group healing.

The second quote does not go in the face of what Mr. Zoeller wrote. His quote merely states that any healer can heal through a FP or Ops and that is true. My statement was to the fact that if you mix your healers instead of just stacking one type that their skill sets complement each other and their total effect is greater than the sum each healer. I still believe that as you look at each healer's skill set that you get the impression that mix and matching healers give a more balance and more effective healing. For example, the CM can concentrate on MT, OT, or and single player while the Sage can do group heals (especially when dropping down the platforms on Soa)

Concerning the smart KB, I am not 100% certain about the sage AoE heal, but I do not believe that they have smart healing, therefore, it makes no sense for use to have a smart AoE and the sage does not. The fact that they are removing the 3 player cap will certainly bring up the utility (This would appear to be a much easier coding scenario). Maybe I am not using my KB to its full capabilities, but I usually just use it on a cluster to give them that healing boost or I will throw it on melee players who are not necessarily in need of great amount of healing to give them the damage reduction when SSC is up.

Concerning the first quoted text: The example about the AoE buff was to illustrate the increased synergy between the two healers not the niche factors of each one. I failed to clarify that when our sage and I do compared healings on a single target, the CM does more healing per GCD than the sage. Now when it comes to a group, then yes the CM does lack considerably in group healing.

The second quote does not go in the face of what Mr. Zoeller wrote. His quote merely states that any healer can heal through a FP or Ops and that is true. My statement was to the fact that if you mix your healers instead of just stacking one type that their skill sets complement each other and their total effect is greater than the sum each healer. I still believe that as you look at each healer's skill set that you get the impression that mix and matching healers give a more balance and more effective healing. For example, the CM can concentrate on MT, OT, or and single player while the Sage can do group heals (especially when dropping down the platforms on Soa)

What GZ said is open to interpretation. I think it means they intended all healers to be viable in any combination. I think I am fairly representing your interpretation by saying you think he said they can all do it, but didn't mean in any combination. That instead, they intend for niches to exist and therefore for different class healers to work together better than same class. While earlier statements that all Trooper guilds would be able to do all the content support my interpretation, it is an ambiguous statement and we will have to just agree to disagree on what he meant.

I can't disagree with you on the fact that currently certain combos do work better. From one fight to the next I'm okay with that, but I think, on average, any combo should be just as viable as any other, and that means some work is needed.

Concerning the smart KB, I am not 100% certain about the sage AoE heal, but I do not believe that they have smart healing, therefore, it makes no sense for use to have a smart AoE and the sage does not. The fact that they are removing the 3 player cap will certainly bring up the utility (This would appear to be a much easier coding scenario). Maybe I am not using my KB to its full capabilities, but I usually just use it on a cluster to give them that healing boost or I will throw it on melee players who are not necessarily in need of great amount of healing to give them the damage reduction when SSC is up.

Sage AoE does not smart heal, but it is irrelevant as it heals 8 people. With no cap, the people you want to heal in a cluster will always get healed. With a cap, that is uncertain. So the options are no-cap, or smart-healing. They said they are raising the cap, but they have not said what to, and since no mention was made of raising the 4-cap on KC, it is commonly assumed that KB will increase to 4. While helpful, this does not address the core problem that the two of them face. The fact that you don't use KB for its AoE healing, but instead use it as a utility ability demonstrates just how problematic it is. If you cannot rely on it to heal who you want healed, you will use it for utility and simply ST the ones who need it.

Hi, I am a combat medic healer.

I am the raid leader for my guild and we cleared 10/10 on 1/19/2012 for some background of where I come from with combat medic.

Our healing setup:

2 combat medics

1 scoundrel

1 sage

(for our 8 mans it would always be 1 cm and one of the other healing classes. Several times I healed NM SOA with only a scoundrel)

We like the combat medic for their ability to tank healer far superior to the other two. Made Jarg and Sorno a bit easier imo.

Our sage is a very, very good player, but his niche is to keep the raid alive, our combat medics keep the tanks and support heal the raid.

My gripe with Kolto bomb is its lack of smart healing. Frankly, I do not care if they add more poeple to its ability, but make it smart. However, the buffs it provides with increased healing, and damage reduction make it an amazing ability.

Frankly, in our feedback to the devs the smart healing is the only recommendations we have given for change on the class. Its a nice change of pace to have to pay attention to rotation, and plan cooldowns. Overall IMHO its a very well designed class and capable of healing everything thrown at them.

P.S.- Ruqu thank you very much for your contributions to the theory crafting community. Both your guide and calculator have been mandatory reads/use by our guild CM's. Look forward to your future works.

Edited by swpoop

Hi, I am a combat medic healer.

I am the raid leader for my guild and we cleared 10/10 on 1/19/2012 for some background of where I come from with combat medic.

P.S.- Ruqu thank you very much for your contributions to the theory crafting community. Both your guide and calculator have been mandatory reads/use by our guild CM's. Look forward to your future works.

You're very welcome.

A new look at Alacrity is written up here, with the short version being that at the level of content you are running it slightly beats out Surge.