Need Help Choosing a Class

Implemented

Hey guys I currently play a commando on The Fatman. I recently hit 44 and it dawned on me that the reps suck. Terrible at PvP, not much PvE going on, and no good guilds. I am going to be switching to Imps and need help choosing a class. The class must have good survivability and damage in PVE and PVP(I HATE dieing alot while questing). I do not wish to be a merc. so please do not include it. I don't care about mobility as long as I can survive well. Also I'm not the biggest fan of kiting while leveling. My playstyle is just kill just about everything in my path, while being able to help out my team. Please post below what you think I should play and include reasons why. P.S. I don't care about putting people down fast as long as I can survive them.

Are you sure it not just that you need to move to a different more crowded server?

And try Jedi Counselor.

The server I'm on is very big, making crowded not an issue. Just everyone that is good plays imp. Also by class I mean advanced class, and include reasoning behind the choice.

It's not that they're good, it's that they were most likely Horde players from WoW and thus made the transition to Imperials.

jedi Shadow > stealthy hurt locker

jedi Sage > healing hurt locker

smuggler gunslinger > fast hitting hurt locker

smuggler scoundrel > healing stealthy hurt locker

You got to try them yourself, or you can just switch sides and go imperial.

It's not that they're good, it's that they were most likely Horde players from WoW and thus made the transition to Imperials.

jedi Shadow > stealthy hurt locker

jedi Sage > healing hurt locker

smuggler gunslinger > fast hitting hurt locker

smuggler scoundrel > healing stealthy hurt locker

You got to try them yourself, or you can just switch sides and go imperial.

I am going imp, which is why I'm rerolling.

Try powertech, they are melee with ranged capabilities and an arsenal of tricks to control the battle with. They have an easy time dealing damage compared to the other two tank classes as having access varied of options at 4/10/30m. Most of their damage is elemental or kinetic and focused in the 4-10m range, rail shot your hardest hitting ability that's based off weapon damage through talents can have 90% armor penetration depending on build, it can really bring the hurt.

Tank and tank hybrids in PvP have extremely good mobility with Jet Charge and displacement tools to screw the enemy over. Having access to passive mitigation through stance and talents, they are extremely durable even with their somewhat lackluster defensive CDs. Their shield talents also boost their CCing and shut down capacity which far outshines a Mercenary's.

Pyrotech the shared tree is also arguably better on the powertech than merc due to talent synergy from the other trees. Rail shot procs off Flame Burst and Rocket Punch instead of Unload and Power Shot also makes for a much harder DPS to stop. Definitely one of the highest DPS potential specs in the game right now.

Edited by Rykke

Ill agree with previous poster if your looking for a really durable character that can bring the hurt and do well go with Powertech. Ive played it up a bit and done alot of PVP with him and its really been enjoyable. They get some nice aoes to go with all that durability.

The Fatman is one of the best Republic servers, there is tons of people looking for dungeons at max level and tons of pvp guilds/players

No idea what you're talking about my friend. Unless you're referring to no players lfg while leveling which is well, happening everywhere due to not requiring grouping to level.

Pyrotech vs. sniper-who would win. friend is trying to convince me to make one. also are snipers good levels/general pvp?

From a PvE standpoint...

Powertech will be far easier to level than Sniper. They get their Healer pet first, have more durability and mobility, and more trash clearing abilities. Sniper does higher damage to single targets, so it's not that they are a slouch, but they don't get their healer pet until upper/mid 30s, meaning a lot of downtime as you have to heal yourself and tank between fights.

Endgame, Powertechs have a stigma of being a Tank only class, and they are also a mid/close range class, which the game doesn't currently favor for dps-sake. Snipers will own Powertechs in DPS simply because they don't have to move as much and can just sit there and rattle out the deeps, not to mention they are a pure dps class, so the speculation is that they do more damage over hybrids as well (unconfirmed).

In PvP, both have been said to excel at what they do, but a Powertech being able to tank will be more desirable as most PvP groups love their tanks, but Snipers are a dime a dozen in their role of dps.

I believe overall there are less Powertechs than there are Snipers, especially in a DPS role.

Hey guys I currently play a commando on The Fatman. I recently hit 44 and it dawned on me that the reps suck. Terrible at PvP, not much PvE going on, and no good guilds. I am going to be switching to Imps and need help choosing a class. The class must have good survivability and damage in PVE and PVP(I HATE dieing alot while questing). I do not wish to be a merc. so please do not include it. I don't care about mobility as long as I can survive well. Also I'm not the biggest fan of kiting while leveling. My playstyle is just kill just about everything in my path, while being able to help out my team. Please post below what you think I should play and include reasons why. P.S. I don't care about putting people down fast as long as I can survive them.

I'm a pub on The Fatman. We rappe. Regularly. Our pugs are ALWAYS outperforming imperial pugs. I also leveled to 50 recently strictly through WZ's. It was easy because we seemed to run a 3-1 win ration.

sooo... i guess what I'm saying is.... You sure you're on the fatman brah?

Edited by Abiza

From a PvE standpoint...

Powertech will be far easier to level than Sniper. They get their Healer pet first, have more durability and mobility, and more trash clearing abilities. Sniper does higher damage to single targets, so it's not that they are a slouch, but they don't get their healer pet until upper/mid 30s, meaning a lot of downtime as you have to heal yourself and tank between fights.

Endgame, Powertechs have a stigma of being a Tank only class, and they are also a mid/close range class, which the game doesn't currently favor for dps-sake. Snipers will own Powertechs in DPS simply because they don't have to move as much and can just sit there and rattle out the deeps, not to mention they are a pure dps class, so the speculation is that they do more damage over hybrids as well (unconfirmed).

In PvP, both have been said to excel at what they do, but a Powertech being able to tank will be more desirable as most PvP groups love their tanks, but Snipers are a dime a dozen in their role of dps.

I believe overall there are less Powertechs than there are Snipers, especially in a DPS role.

Not entirely true. Snipers won't own PT DPS. It's close. PTs might even be better, because they are mobile, which is important in a lot of the boss fights (Gharj, Annhilator Droid, Bonethrasher, etc.) Pyro PT dps also ignores armor, which snipers dont.

PT is one of the best PvP classes, and in top 3-5 DPS PvE (Marauder, Arsenal Mercs, Snipers)

I'm a pub on The Fatman. We rappe. Regularly. Our pugs are ALWAYS outperforming imperial pugs. I also leveled to 50 recently strictly through WZ's. It was easy because we seemed to run a 3-1 win ration.

sooo... i guess what I'm saying is.... You sure you're on the fatman brah?

Leveling was a lot of wins...50...not so much

Leaning towards jugg...any opinions on if this is a good or bad choice?

Are you weird? Everyone class is good at some things. Use google ffs and find out what you need. I can help you if you're lazy. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=SWTOR+class+overview

No, but seriously. Juggernaut = Guardian = Though, I would advice Juggernaut here, equal story I would think and better mechanics.

Sentinel = Marauder - Marauder, pwnage in PvP, killing machine in pve, my favourite by far, only got to 33 so far though.

Gunslinger - Mercenary - I got my bounty hunter to 50 and I hated every moment after act 1, but it might benefit other people, I would imagine. It was ok written. Fun mechanics and so on. I would go for Bounty Hunter here though. Motivation? Missiles...

Scoundrel - Powertech - I know, i have mistaken the mirror classes, anyhow, powertech is pretty good in PvP with their drag. I like them even if I haven't tried them, heard alot of good stuff. Scoundrel, mirror to imperial agent operative. Backstabbing, might go for this one after my current.

Sniper - Operative

Beautiful mechanics and awesome story added to that. EPIC. I love it, I have heard good stuff about operative and SEEN good stuff like backstabbing one hitting in PvP. But I go for sniper, I love the nuke style.

It's all about your taste. Choose from me, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

I didn't choose to involve Trooper here since I haven't played it. Well, I have, to level 2, then I quitted heavily depressed.