The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Pre-50 Valor vs Post-50 Valor

Culhaven

I need help on deciding what to do.

I am just turning 47 on my Assault spec. I currently get anywhere from min 5 to sometimes 8 medals each wz game, with 7 being the most common.

I assume that once I hit 50, that will be hard (or impossible) to maintain until I get 50 pvp gear.

With respect to maximizing Valor gain, should I keep grinding at my current state and level via pvp, or would it be better to level to 50 (PvE) and than work on Valor.

I am currently at 32 Valor.

I am currently at 32 Valor.

HI. you are keen to get to 60 for the Battlemaster set? heres my experience with that journey:

I was 50 Valor when I got to level 50, and am now 54, and those last 4 have been a a very slow tough grind.

Assualt Spec looses a bit of that tankyness you feel pre 50. That means quicker death's, so if that bothers you check out the Ironfist. However, if like me you really enjoy Assualt spec with the high mobility pew and burst, you can still be highly competitive, but you will need to factor in positioning a lot more.

Assault is great fun tho right?

HI. you are keen to get to 60 for the Battlemaster set? heres my experience with that journey:

I was 50 Valor when I got to level 50, and am now 54, and those last 4 have been a a very slow tough grind.

Assualt Spec looses a bit of that tankyness you feel pre 50. That means quicker death's, so if that bothers you check out the Ironfist. However, if like me you really enjoy Assualt spec with the high mobility pew and burst, you can still be highly competitive, but you will need to factor in positioning a lot more.

Assault is great fun tho right?

I am tempted by Ironfist, but I really love the ranged dot. In voidstar on def, I just run back and forth between doors and dot whoever looks to be advancing on the door. Also, I would miss being able to use HIB at range.

But I am still unclear what you are saying. Did you get more Valor in the last few level before 50 than after 50?

You just need alot more valor to gain a rank after valor 50 ;)

I only play with some champion equip,mostly centurion and I nearly always make it to the top when it comes to medals.

Taunt there, aoe here and kill some people... easy

Dont be to afraid of the level 50 pvp, its not that hard.

Edited by Husofanten

I had the same dilemma , i decided to finish the class story to hurry along to L50 to start earning my bags.

It's hard at first when you jump into the 50's but at least now if you have the full quota of wz and merc commendations plus your bag then you will start with 90 centurion comms and 42 champion ones .

The stats may not be great on centurion but i found once you had your 4 pieces of centurion , your set bonus and then added a few cheaper champion items to bring expertise up things improved quite dramatically. It didn't take long before i was finding the difficulty no harder than pre 50 unless you ran into a good well geared pre made.

I tried iron fist but found i consistently got more medals using 4/6/31 max dps assault , probably on average 2 extra medals per game. Average with assault would be probably 8 medals , average for iron fist for me 6 , this is playing totally solo.

Edited by Jachen

Sorry to keep coming back to this point, but it is a meaningful decision to me.

Would you recommend gaining valor ranks 35 to 50 before or after leveling to 50?

Doesn't really matter the 50-60 slog well suck either way. Once you hit 50 wzs will be tough until you get a fill set of at least cent gear. Then you have enough expertise to at least not get run over.

I had the same dilemma , i decided to finish the class story to hurry along to L50 to start earning my bags.

It's hard at first when you jump into the 50's but at least now if you have the full quota of wz and merc commendations plus your bag then you will start with 90 centurion comms and 42 champion ones .

The stats may not be great on centurion but i found once you had your 4 pieces of centurion , your set bonus and then added a few cheaper champion items to bring expertise up things improved quite dramatically. It didn't take long before i was finding the difficulty no harder than pre 50 unless you ran into a good well geared pre made.

I tried iron fist but found i consistently got more medals using 4/6/31 max dps assault , probably on average 2 extra medals per game. Average with assault would be probably 8 medals , average for iron fist for me 6 , this is playing totally solo.

When you run with that assault spec, what gear are you using: combat tech or eliminator?

You might want to check out the patch notes before you spend too much time worrying about how many medals you can get in a match.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=3077822#edit3077822

The PVP section if you don't want to click the link. BTW, this is for the PTS not the live server so who know what will change.

PvP

General

Players can now build credit towards the Battle for Ilum daily and weekly missions by playing Warzones.

Warzones

General

Healers in Warzones now receive kill credit when a healed player kills an enemy.

Players affected by a Damage Over Time ability are no longer interrupted when interacting with objectives.

Battlemaster and Champion Commendations are now available on the PvP Vendor for Warzone and Mercenary Commendations. Champion Gear Bags are still available.

Valor gained from Warzones has been increased.

Medals are now worth 500 Valor and 10 Commendations. Players only earn Valor and Commendations for the first 4 medals earned each match.

Increased the Warzone AFK timeout from 60 seconds to 90 seconds.

Alderaan Civil War

The speeder bikes that transport players back to the battle now have a three-second activation time to increase the likelihood that an organized attacking team can successfully take the side turrets.