The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

[Discussion] Improving the Vanguard

Myxam

Improving the Vanguard

As many of us are aware, there are a few flaws, inconsistancies, and other undesirable traits with our class of choice. Here, I'd like to coalesce these, so that we better formulate our ideal Vanguard.

So I ask that you post -anything- that nags you about the Vangaurd Class, be it our endgame armor, Skills, playstyle or story. I also ask, that you provide a suggestion on how it could be changed.

I do not intend for anything here to be taken seriously outside the thread... so go nuts!

I'll open my thread with my opinion (how lame right?).

Tactics

Personally, I've felt that the Tactics skill tree is rather bland, and boring. Of course Hold The Line, Pulse Generator, and Combat Tactics do liven the tree up, but it still feels bland. I also feel there are some rather weak skills populating the Tree. Shock Absorbers, Battlefield Training, and Kolto Rechargenamely.

Suggestion:

I'd say turning these filler talents into something more interesting would make the tree feel more dynamic. Shock Absorbers for instance, could be altered to give Stockstrike some additional effects.

[color="DarkOrange"][size="4"]Shock Absorbers[/size][/color]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"] Stockstrike now has a (10...20)% chance to double strike, dealing its damage twice.[/color]
[color="DarkOrange"][size="3"]Shock Absorbers[/size][/color]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"] Stockstrike has a (10...20)% chance on critical strike to refresh it's cooldown.[/color]
[color="DarkOrange"][size="3"]Shock Absorbers[/size][/color]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"] You take (5...10)% less damage.[/color][/Code]

[color=RoyalBlue]Shock Absorbers does have a nice utility in PvP as it stands, but it could do more than what it does now. As frustrating as stuns are you don't spend a whole lot of time suffering from them, even in PvP. The damage you mitigate from this talent is rather minimal.

[code][color="DarkOrange"][size="3"]Battlefield Training[/size][/color]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"] When ever you use High Impact Bolt, Sticky Grenade, or Stockstrike you have (25...50)% chance to gain a 45%
movement speed increase for 5 seconds.[/color]

Battlefield Training, while movement speed is really important, especially in end-game content, the boost from this talent is hardly detectable, not to mention it doesn't stack with Hold the Line, so it's still rather worthless, not to mention you have to be in High Energy Cell to even benefit from it.[/color]

[color="DarkOrange"][size="3"]Kolto Recharge[/size][/color]
[color="DeepSkyBlue"] When ever an ability yields a critical result you regenerate .5% of your maximum health. [/color]

Kolto Recharge in it's current Form is really... really, a waste of a talent point. It's required to get higher in the tree and does relatively nothing as Tactics is a highly efficient tree, hardly needing to use Recharge Cells (I can't say the same for the Commando mirror). Not to mention it drags out the paltry amount of health regeneration over 10 seconds.

Feel free to criticize this idea as you see fit, play nice!

WARNING: YOU WILL BE CRITICIZED.

Incase someone whines about it... I also intend to be criticized.

~Myxam

Edits

Edited by Myxam

First, you have failed to use sufficiently negative words to describe how bad Kolto Recharge is. However, it is nice to have in the tree. If you see a spec with it, you know it's bad.

Shock Absorbers is actually a really nice PvP talent.

Battlefield Training is another really solid talent- for both PvE and PvP. PvE fights require movement and being quicker there is actually a pretty sizable buff. I don't know if you played WoW, but people ran some numbers on a raid wide speed buff from one class. The speed buff actually caused a greater increase in damage for melee than any other buff for many fights. Situational, granted. It's also very effective in PvP although I would argue much less effective than an actual snare.

Yeah, I apologize about my lack of explanation in the original post, I was posting under duress (I had to leave to go to another class and I didn't have time to explain my choices).

Honestly however, I made this thread to have fun with ridiculousness and not actually carry any bearing with actual game play, but I would like to stay realistic with the discussion.

I'll edit my original post now that I have time.

Edited by Myxam

Gut's animation is not in any way indicative of how the ability is described. It should be wolverine claws.

But it does say... -knife- so maybe it's more Assassin Creed like... maybe we could ask to get it to extend from the knuckle of our middle finger so we can think

"F-you Imperialist... jerkwads!" or something like that while we Gut them...

Yeah!