Marauder and Guardian: Spec Differences?

Legendoom

I'm just about finished on my level 41 Sith Marauder, who I am very happy to get rid of. I find the marauder to be very very squishy, though the story is great. I won't tap too much into how I play, but basically I run with Jaesa as my companion, use annihilation spec, and find it almost impossible to fight an elite without popping a medpac and my defensive CD's. After playing a mercenary who could tear through walls and come out without a scratch, it's a bit of a letdown. I'm considering playing a jedi guardian next, which I've tried before, leveling to 25 before deleting him. It was an okay class, still a bit mushy, I just feel I didn't have enough time to really get to know the class. I know the warrior and knight have the same abilities rehashed, no need to bring that up.

So, my question is: Would playing a guardian, based on what I dislike about the marauder, be any better?

I'm just about finished on my level 41 Sith Marauder, who I am very happy to get rid of. I find the marauder to be very very squishy, though the story is great. I won't tap too much into how I play, but basically I run with Jaesa as my companion, use annihilation spec, and find it almost impossible to fight an elite without popping a medpac and my defensive CD's. After playing a mercenary who could tear through walls and come out without a scratch, it's a bit of a letdown. I'm considering playing a jedi guardian next, which I've tried before, leveling to 25 before deleting him. It was an okay class, still a bit mushy, I just feel I didn't have enough time to really get to know the class. I know the warrior and knight have the same abilities rehashed, no need to bring that up.

So, my question is: Would playing a guardian, based on what I dislike about the marauder, be any better?

My main was a Marauder and my new main is now a Jedi Guardian. I personally like the class more as I feel throwing Guard Stance on while in sticky PVE situations where I need to help tank is a great tool. Plus, who doesn't like force pushing things off of ledges?

Anyway, it is going to come down to what you are doing. Are you planning on PVE or PVP at end game. Also, I would like to add that despite what people may assume about a Guardian, I do some sick DPS. My Vigilance spec usually pulls agro every heroic flashpoint I do and people notice the high damage I output. In Warzones I go about 250 - 300K DPS and I am not even in full Champion gear yet.

I really like the class and glad I made the switch. If you are going to roll Republic, I recommend The Fatman server.

Edited by Starglide

My main was a Marauder and my new main is now a Jedi Guardian. I personally like the class more as I feel throwing Guard Stance on while in sticky PVE situations where I need to help tank is a great tool. Plus, who doesn't like force pushing things off of ledges?

Anyway, it is going to come down to what you are doing. Are you planning on PVE or PVP at end game. Also, I would like to add that despite what people may assume about a Guardian, I do some sick DPS. My Vigilance spec usually pulls agro every heroic flashpoint I do and people notice the high damage I output. In Warzones I go about 250 - 300K DPS and I am not even in full Champion gear yet.

I really like the class and glad I made the switch. If you are going to roll Republic, I recommend The Fatman server.

I appreciate the response. To answer your kinda-sorta-question, I try to stay away from PvP. I'll do a flashpoint every now and again, same for group quests, but I generally prefer soloing PVE content to anything else. If I end up underleveling I do a bonus series and some group quests.

I appreciate the response. To answer your kinda-sorta-question, I try to stay away from PvP. I'll do a flashpoint every now and again, same for group quests, but I generally prefer soloing PVE content to anything else. If I end up underleveling I do a bonus series and some group quests.

For a solo leveling experience, I would say that Commando/Mercenary are the most fun that I have played. Fun meaning having no difficulty issues and tearing everything up. I did feel like I was a bit squishy so I made it a point to rush and get the healer companion then I was pretty OP. Mowing through through groups of enemies very Star Wars like.

If you insist on using a DPS companion, you will get

Kira (as you know)

, relitively early on. I recommend maybe going defense spec if you want to use a DPS companion as some of the content can get rather difficult to solo for you and a DPS companion. I remember being pretty squishy as Vigilance and felt once I got my healer companion is when I really was confident in taking large groups and elite mobs.

Well yes, Marauders can be quite squishy once you've all of your defensive CD are used and their effects have worn off. However, I do find your choice of companion a bit puzzling. Marauder isn't a tank by any stretch of the imagination so natrually, one would think that you would choose a tank type (Broonmark/Pierce) or a healer (Quinn) as your companion for the most part. Yeah I know it kind of stinks to be forced to utilize certain companions for the harder encounters but I don't really think that's different from the other classes.

If you are enjoying the melee premise of the marauder, but want some non-CD based survivability, guardian is a really nice option. Even your DPS specs are going to offer you heavy armor versus medium, and if you enjoy playing the tank role, the defense spec of the guardian offers a different PVP experience that if really fun to play. You just have to remember in PVP that instead of being the first in the fight, to hang back until everyone in the fight has chosen a target that's not you, then start tossing guards, taunts and slows to screw up their team. It doesn't sound glamorous, but you can wrack up some medals and respect.

As far as soloing the content goes, as with any class, you will need to keep a companion geared up, but the quests are considerably easy as a tank.

Well yes, Marauders can be quite squishy once you've all of your defensive CD are used and their effects have worn off. However, I do find your choice of companion a bit puzzling. Marauder isn't a tank by any stretch of the imagination so natrually, one would think that you would choose a tank type (Broonmark/Pierce) or a healer (Quinn) as your companion for the most part. Yeah I know it kind of stinks to be forced to utilize certain companions for the harder encounters but I don't really think that's different from the other classes.

It's not because of misguidance or of ignorance. I know I should be using Quinn, or at the very least Broonmark. It's a cosmetic and personal issue more then anything. As a hunter, Mako was my first companion, she was a healer, and so I literally never used any other companion. The reason I use Jaesa is mainly because I'm a RP guy and I like to have my female characters with me while I do my missions.

ive played a marauder as my main, lvl 49 as of this moment, playing as Anni spec with quinn out at all times and i seam to cut through elite mobs easily, usually ending up most fights with elites 1-2 lvl above me with 80% + health, i dont know if your doing something wrong with your rotation but the marauder seems fine to me. the only thing they really need is a pvp cc

If you want to really try out the mroe defensive options of a Jugg, go for it. I have ran full vengance on mine. they have great PvE DPS (no matter what people say), and have quite a few passive defensive abilities that smooth out the incoming damage.

Or you can go immortal spec. very tough...but keep in mind that your used to a dps spec with a dps companion. running Immortal with a DPS companion lowers your DPS by a decent amount. enough that the fights WILL take longer. but yes, you usually do end up with less damage at the end of the fight.

But keep in mind that the Juggernaut tank is a CD based tank class. that is to mean that you are juggling defensive CD's and using active skills to trigger defensive passives on a regular basis. so it's not as easy as walking in and taking less damage.

as an example, at level 20 when my vengance jugg is getting a class defining damage skill (impale...totally awesome animation! ) the Immortal is getting a triggered damage reduction skill with a moderate CD. and you will use it on cooldown to maximize your damage reduction so you don't have to rest in-between fights.

In all honesty, your playstyle sounds more like you should run with a healing companion. now, don't get me wrong..i like to use my other companions, but unfortunately Bio hasn't give us allot of flexibility with that choice, especially if your set on a playing style. But if you like the feeling of digging through mobs without pause, and not having to worry about popping CD's left and right, I'd recommend a vengeance build with a healing companion. lots of DPS and NO downtime whatsoever.

But go ahead and try the immortal spec with DPS companion. they certainly aren't broke, and may people are happy with them. but based on your reference in the origional post, you may still deal with some of those frustrations as the tank jugg is still a CD based class.

Edited by Elyx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.