Testing the waters...

ChiefyBeefy

Hey there Guardian community. I've been thinking of starting a series on tanking tutorials, and this is my first shot at my first video in the series: A basic overview of some of the abilities we use as Tanky Juggernauts/Guardians.

I'm going to have to remake this video, because it looks like trash (though it still looks good on my hard drive), but I'm working on figuring out how to fix that. But I'm looking for feedback on the content. The feel of the video, the flow, the information given, and the overall presentation of the video (the cuts, the music, etc. Again, I know it looks grainy and the color is off).

Anyway, if you have a few minutes to spare, take a look and leave a comment on the video, or here. Whatever.

Also, do click 720p, as it makes it look at least SLIGHTLY less terrible.

Thanks.

A few minor things which is crucial for threat and cycling through cooldowns:

1. Master Strike- 3 sec channel 30 sec base CD

2. Pommel Strike - 45 sec CD can only be used on non-boss, non-elite mobs. Requires Stuns or CC effect to be present on the target first.

3. Opportune Strike- 15 sec CD can only be used on non-boss, non-elite. Requires slows or immobilization effect to be present on the target first.

4. Dispatch- 6 sec CD can only be used on targets at 20% or below HP.

Out of those 4, Master Strike by far is the more important. The other two are very situational, but neither generates or uses focus. So if you have a trash mob which you don't want to waste you big hitter on, use those 2. Both requirements are easy to set up.

Also, a good tank doesn't backpaddle, he strafes. Actually in this game, defenses are not directional based so you can actually turn around and run but still able to parry/deflect. Doing so not only opens up distance for Charge/Saber Throw faster but also good practice for kiting.

Oh, one last thing, Blade turning effects from Saber Ward is 2 sec by default, 3 with 2 piece bonus. With that said Warding Call will be 12 secs with 2 piece bonus.

In my personal experience, I rarely use Ravage/Master Strike, as I'd rather spend that time building or spending rage.

The other abilities I thought about throwing in, but felt they weren't necessary to go over, I may include them in my next shot at the video.

As far as movement, that's a big "duh" for me. In fact, one of my videos is planned to be nearly ENTIRELY about movement. You see me backpaddle in this video in a few places, one of which being after I use the AoE stun. I chose to back away from that group because it would keep the camera focused on them and show the effect of the ability. The point you make is true, and one I fully agree with AND use, but irrelevant for this topic. But thanks.

I'll correct the Saber ward 3 second, I has the bonus so I spaced it.

Overall, thanks for your feedback.

first off its great very good information video...but i noticed you said that Challenge call was a 45 sec CD but acually its 1 min CD but if you spec right you get it down to 45 seconds...but other than that it was all good keep it up im looking forward to your movement video, im curious about that cause i use my mouse for movement i dont use WASD for movement im just curious how you could show me how to strafe with useing the mouse

Thanks for your feedback. As far as Challenging Call, that's the AoE taunt, and it's got a base cooldown of 45 seconds, and you can talent it down lower than that. You may be thinking of the AoE soft-stun, which has a base 1min but can be talented down. Concerning my movement video, I've got it planned out, but I need to sharpen up my editing skills, not sure how long it will be.

yea im trying to figure it out cause i have to fully turn around so i can run away then turn back around again and force leap back at him takes up alot of time...its more smoother for me to move with the mouse then the keys but i cant figure out how to be able to keep force leaping at him with out force push...and i cant force push bosses so there is a problem for me when trying to get "Unremitting"

yea im trying to figure it out cause i have to fully turn around so i can run away then turn back around again and force leap back at him takes up alot of time...its more smoother for me to move with the mouse then the keys but i cant figure out how to be able to keep force leaping at him with out force push...and i cant force push bosses so there is a problem for me when trying to get "Unremitting"

If your level 50 you can use Guardian leap to jump back out of range to your healer/ranged teammates or to Doc if your solo. Then Force leap back in. Bear in mind Force Push may not move the boss but it does complete the cooldown on Force Leap.

I've mapped Force Leap to scroll forward on my mouse and Guardian Leap to scroll back. It works really well.