New to MMOs, DPS question.

CharleyDanger

So I have learned that as a DPS I should focus on trash, then strong, elite, and so on. Im not sure though on how to work with the other DPS in the group. Should each DPS focus on different trash, or the same target all the time?

I guess that I should point out that Im a melee DPS, and any other thoughts on melee DPSing would be appreciated.

Edited by CharleyDanger

Usually it would be starting with the weakest and going up the chain. Alot of times the mobs do somewhat similar damage so may as well take out all the 1-shotters and 2-shotters first.

But sometimes its better to focus on whatever the tank or other dps is hitting. Don't normally want to have 3 people soloing 3 different mobs. But in really easy fights this actually happens on purpose with the illusion of saving time. I am guilty of this as well.

On certain fights where the mobs have lots of HP, it can be better to take the strongest one out first if it would take equal time to take out the lesser mobs.

When CC is involved, its pretty universal to CC the Elite, and DPS down the lesser mobs and save the elite for last.

There are many possibilities so try to figure out what works best for you. One way may be better than the other, but not by much.

To some extent, it also depends on how much damage YOU can take - or mitigate. If you're undergeared, then you may want to focus on the same mob as the other DPS, to bring them down faster and avoid getting killed and to avoid making the healer spend time healing you instead of the tank. If your gear is sufficient, then each DPS can take their own mob in order to quickly reduce the amount of damage the tank is taking and make things easier on the healer.

Usually, unless told otherwise, you will DPS the mob that the tank is focusing on. Depending on the pull, it will either be a verbal/party chat designation of target order or the tank might put symbols on each mob and designate a kill order.

If there are a couple of normal mobs in the pull as well as some strongs/elites, generally you will kill the normals first, even if they aren't being tanked because they go down fast. However, if those mobs are a bit away from the tank, you may stay near the tank as melee assuming you have ranged DPS to pick off the outliers. If your group is all ranged, then take out the normals as fast as possible then switch to the tank's target.

If the tank isn't designating a kill order, ask for one. Kill orders make pulls a lot easier and keep things under control. If you run with a regular group or guild mates, this is when something like Mumble or Vent can be really helpful. Also, assuming you have a regular FP group or guild group that you run with, you'll eventually get used to how everyone works together and you will no longer need explicit kill orders.

So I have learned that as a DPS I should focus on trash, then strong, elite, and so on. Im not sure though on how to work with the other DPS in the group. Should each DPS focus on different trash, or the same target all the time?

I guess that I should point out that Im a melee DPS, and any other thoughts on melee DPSing would be appreciated.

Learning how this works is the difference between being DPS and good DPS. It's a good question.

It honestly depends on who's delivering what kind of damage here. You're melee. Ideally, you want to pack the mobs in close for your point-blank AoE's, and in addition to make it easier to get to the next target in line. Don't slap mobs around willy-nilly, though it's not unreasonable to slap a troublesome mob out of a crowd to allow it to be more easily crowd-controlled and clear of area-effect stuff. Focusing is generally a good idea. Mobs don't cause trouble once they're down, and there's only a few rare cases in the game where one-at-a-time killing will make life tougher- like the Mandalorian Raider FP, who has a boarding party that'll make each one stronger as you KO one of their brothers. Ideally, you're dropping things quickly in order of "what causes the most grief?". If it's a strong that you can take down fast together, go right ahead. If you can shred the trash quick but the strong is a long fight? Wreck the trash.

Think about what in the enemy group gives you the most trouble. You are the knife. Excise the worst parts, then the rest will be easymode.

great that you ask Ive been reading good threads on DPS ing and getting better at it.

search and read some other good threads.

I basically

let tank start

go weak to elite.

2 dps on one mob at same time (carefull other dps may be a companion, hard to follow)

use tab key I believe you can highlight ank hit tab or I forget the key and choose tanks tareet

watch for adds and kill them.

keep and eye on healer and dont let a stray attack, protect your healer.

watch for your groups CC don,t attack a stunded enemy, let healer catch up during those periods.

Keep your gear up to date. Dont stand in any crosshairs. Buff group as needed. Repair on death if you go to med center. Dont go to med center if group can finish and res you.

Have fun, ask questions.

use some long cool downs early so you may have a chance to use em again.

use attacks that build stacks early to get advanced attacks online.

Edited by DelphinHunter