How do I find this recipe?

Mashugana

Actually, I am a little confused about how to find any recipe that does not come from the vendor or reverse engineering, but let's look at this example.

How do I get the schematic for Jedi Initiate Vestment?

http://www.torhead.com/item/eMWa48s/jedi-initiates-vestments#created-by

Random drop? Or can I hunt for it? Thanks :)

Generally, orange/custom crafted item schematics will come from Underworld Trading. A good place to hunt for it is the local auction house. :) I see 2 of them up on Vrook Lamar, right this very second.

Also, torhead and other datamining sites are horribly inaccurate right now, so that particular pattern may not even exist in game. I can neither confirm nor deny it's existence, just warning you that it may be quite difficult to find. Again, don't rely on datamining sites, they're way out of date.

Mission skill recipes (such as Underworld Trading) only provide Schematics on a rare critical chance. It operates on a seperate crit chance table from the table which provides bonus crafting material on a critical mission success. From what I've been able to notice, you'll get a higher chance of receiving schematics if your Companion is at max Affection score. Having said that, they're still rather rare.

Luckily Underworld Trading is also used by Cybertech for the rare metals. Therefore your Cybertech will place these unwanted schematics on the Market. Check it regularly to see if there are any recipes which you currently need. As a general rule, schematics that make Orange grade gear have value while those that make Blue items tend to be unwanted (at least in the Synthweaving world).

Rule of thumb:

Mob drops can give just about any type of schematic.

As for those found from missions:

Cybertech schematics are a random bonus from slicing missions

Orange (custom) armor schematics are a random bonus from Underworld Trading missions

Blue prototype schematics are a random bonus from Investigation missions.

(not actually positive prototype schematics are a random bonus find from investigation. I know the schematics from slicing and UT are random bonus rewards though)