New Player, a bit nervous about a few things..

detroitdaddy

Greetings from Detroit,

I recently purchased SWTOR, and as a player of the originals I'm amped to see another old republic in the series. However, I'm a bit nervous. I've been reading up on this game for some time...and it seems that it is badly optimized for higher end systems. This game is coinciding with my purchase of a new gaming pc (specs in the sig), so I'm excited to play, but you see where I'm going with this. My system will be finished by mid March, so I still have some time to consider if I should jump in or wait for BW to optimize a bit better.

Advice?

Thanks in advance.

Honestly? My computer runs the game just fine. Same with everyone I know (as in know personally). Make sure your computer is over the minimum specs and your drivers and the like are up to date and you should be fine. Your internet connection can also make a huge difference.

If you do end up having problems, there are several stickied threads about how to help FPS issues and the like. Give it a try out on the low settings first. If it runs fine, then up the settings one by one leaving things like bloom and shadows for last until you reach a point where either you have a problem, or you have everything set where you want it.

All that said, welcome to the game and the community and I hope you enjoy it!

I think you can run the death star with those specs.

IMHO, higher end amd cards seem to run better than nvidia cards (e.g. gtx580 gtx 560Ti)

I'm actually using AMD Radeon 6700 and havent had any issues with the game.

May I suggest that you stabilize your internet connection first (using a cable internet with no router instead of a wireless connection) to avoid a multitude of problems other people seem to be haivng.

:csw_yoda: may the force be with you

Thanks for the excellent advice everyone. I like the idea of turning up game specs piece meal. Makes sense. I feel a lot better. I was worried when I was reading that swtor can ruin processors etc etc, specially since I practically sold a kidney to get the setup I have.

Can't wait till mid March!

It's only going to "ruin" computer components if those components are bad to begin with. And even then, it's not ruining them itself so much as simply highlighting a problem that already existed and would have eventually caused problems anyway. It's true that SWTOR puts a higher load on computers than some other games but it's nothing that properly assembled and manufactured computers can't handle.

I run everything on high, except shadows...an the game has no lag at all I hear tons of people in general chat talking about lag. I have a PC that is about 5 years old but is primarily a ASUS Gaming PC from Cyberpower PC's.

SWTOR Requirements:

Minimum:

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better, Intel Core 2 Duo Processor 2.0 GHz or better

RAM: Windows XP: 1.5 GB, Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB, PCs using a built-in graphic chipset: 2 GB

Video Card: 256 MB of on-board RAM and Shader model 3.0 or better support (ATI Radeon X1800 or better, NVIDIA GeForce 7800 or better, Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better).

Mine

CPU: Intel® Core2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz

BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG (ASUS P5N-E SLI ACPI BIOS Revision 1406)

RAM: 3.5GB

Video Card: Nvidia 9500 GT Video RAM 1.5GB (Pixel Shader & Vertex Shader 4.0)

You can also goto Can You Run It? and see what they say about your pc.

Edited by Josmoda

Hi,

Yea, cyberpower pc is where I purchased my rig. I read of many people with excellent, if not older setups running swtor with no problems. Then I read of others with what should be cutting edge setups experiencing big errors and bugs, or no problems at all. The customer service forums are a mash up of I hate this! or I love this!, I'm thankful for the clear responses here.

Anyhow, thanks. I look forward to playing this game. Other games I'm excited to finally be able to play on highest settings: Heavily modded ArmaII, LOMAC series, DCS Blackshark and A-10, maybe Skyrim.....