Merc Bodyguard - Help?

Kalphoenix

I guess without seeing my exact build you won't be able to give me much help, but I decided to go Merc -> Bodyguard (I'm about halfway into the tree) and am having a really tough go at it. Even with combat support cylinder on and shots maxed at 30, my healing output really stinks, especially compared to my Inq and Ops healers and I just get pummeled in PvP. I take massive amounts of damage, go down very quickly (even with the shield up) and cannot keep myself or others up. It's possible I'm just terrible at it, but I haven't had nearly as much trouble on my other two healers.

I'm over leveled for PvE, so I can't really say I'm having huge problems there.

Before I give up and respec to DPS on this character, does anyone want to give me some tips? Is there something really obvious I am failing to do? Are there specific traits in the bodyguard tree (or other trees) I should have taken?

gotta have a decently geared dps companion, im a 50 merc and i just did the belsavis dailies as a healer for the first time, took forever but nothing could touch me...honestly for pve leveling u may be better off going arsenal, but if u wanna lvl pvp youll make alot of those people happy throwing heals in wz's

Until you get Kolto Shell and the talents that buff Healing Scan (giving it a HoT), and the talents that buff Kolto Shell your healing output won't be all that impressive.

We do also kind of have a rotation for healing once we get all our tools. Kolto Shell (to give the +healing buff) then Healing Scan (for armor buff and the HoT, as well as lowering the heat cost of Rapid Scan) then Rapid Scan, filling in with your "auto attack" Rapid Shots and using Supercharged Gas to make Kolto Shell give a small bubble in a pinch. Remember, popping Supercharged gas also vents a little heat, so don't be afraid to use it when your heat starts creeping up, because 30 charges get built up quickly.

Once you get to Alderaan, maybe slightly before (about lvl 30), as a healer you will want to focus on healing your companion, who should be doing almost all of the damage. If you try and help kill stuff while healing your companion, you'll just end up healing both of you and overheating really quickly. It might be slower, but you'll never be in danger of dying....ever.

Healers have a rough go of it in general. And considering you are going into PVP matches against people 20 plus levels higher than you it is to be expected.

I didn't even go the healing route on my Merc until I was 50. I PVP a lot and healers simply take in far too much grief. Spotting healers is easy. Stun locking them to death is easy. What isn't easy is getting the crucial support you need from your fellow team mates to stay alive.

My recommendation to you if you want to continue to explore healing while you are leveling is to find a tank to do warzones with. Neither one of you maybe in a position to do much killing but tanks tend to have more CC and buff options. And with you healing and the tank keeping the riff raff off of you both may discover that you can accomplish quite a bit in PVP.

dont do what i did on my merc at release. Going heals early with mako as your only companion, kinda blows...Gault is a little better, but you don't get a tank until really really late. Just join the herd, tracer missile your way to 50 with that hot asian chick healing you.