Increase frame rate on low end laptop - help?

Sahkelm

So I turn all the settings down/off on my laptop, kill all background programs and processes and drop the res to 800x600 the game is almost playable, runs usually at 20fps but can go as low as 5fps and as high as 60. But nothing seems to directly affect it. I can be in a massive fight and be getting 60fps and doing nothing and have 5. I was wondering if there are any tweaks at all, I don't care how ugly it is, just this is the only PC I can use to play at work while I'm on lunch.

It is a Dell XPS M1530

4GB RAM

2.2 GHz Dual Core

512 MB GeForce 8600M GT

Any help at all would be awesome, thanks!

Your computer is garbage and can't manage heat at all. Run it on a different machine.

I directly built my current PC to run SW:TOR and my frame rate is bottoming out a lot. Run smooth as silk in stress test but now it refuses to do anything. Trying to find a fix for it, will let you know if I come up with anything.

Bloom can make a big difference in graphics performance. Try disabling Bloom and lower Shadows down to the minimum value. That should give you a frame rate boost.

Then of course there are the traditional 'update graphics drivers yadda yadda' things. I suggest actually if you have a graphics card that has been out a few years that you try actually downgrading your graphics drivers. Often companies will keep supporting old cards in their new driver releases, but the new drivers will not address any of the issues with the old cards. Mostly the new graphics drivers concentrate on their new lines of video cards when they update.

This means that on an older card, sometimes you will have better performance with an older driver.

I wish you luck!. Another thing you can try is using software such as Game Booster http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html to try to increase performance. I have heard good reports from people using that.

• 6 months later...

Shadows are a HUGE difference on low end PC, but no matter what you do you will never have a competitively playable frame rate (stable 30+ in combat minimum) with that machine.

SWTOR is different from most video games in that its much more CPU then GPU intensive. Laptop CPUs, to begin with, have a lower voltage then their normal counterparts. And then yours is low for a gaming computer. 2.2 Mhz is what will severely limit your performances.

Since you cant upgrade CPU in a laptop, unfortunatly, you'll need a new computer. Your GPU is fine, but with anything under 3ish Mhz on your chip you'll see huge frame rate drops and irregularities like what you are describing. If you can OC something to 4+ the game becomes flawless *even with aging GPUs*.

Edited by Stonedsoul