The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

PvE Vanguard advice (spec to go mainly)

Celadore

Whicih would be the more effecient route to go while leveling my vanguard?

I mainly PvE, doing WZ's casually (casual-casually prehaps) for accumulating points to spend later at 40 on armour etc, and to do the PvP missions at Carrack.

I don't mind tanking and at 50 will plan on going tank as main role, but for now the majority of my time will be spent doing missions solo (wiith so little people on a planet at once this isn't really a surprise eh).

However I'd also like to be able to do respectable DPS in my own right, not just relying on my companion; especially since I'll probably be using my healer companion now at 25.

So, would I be better at going defence route which allows better solo play versus the elites and champions out there, as well as tank better in flashpoints along the way to 50. Or, would I be better going one of the other two dps trees as you can still tank flashpoints and handle solo elites/champions while doing missions solo, on the way to 50? I'll assume going either route I'd be using gear with tanking secondary stats when they're availiable for flashpoint tanking.

Thanks for your time and any thoughts/suggestions.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=161399

I'd say you may be able to solo all content but not as easily as if you went a defense tree. So far, I struggle a bit with bosses but rock when teaming or in groups.

But even the author of the above post recommends levelling with a Defensive build.

I'm only at level 31, and I will just hit harder from here on up.

Kiri

Edited by Kiri

Whicih would be the more effecient route to go while leveling my vanguard?

I mainly PvE, doing WZ's casually (casual-casually prehaps) for accumulating points to spend later at 40 on armour etc, and to do the PvP missions at Carrack.

I don't mind tanking and at 50 will plan on going tank as main role, but for now the majority of my time will be spent doing missions solo (wiith so little people on a planet at once this isn't really a surprise eh).

However I'd also like to be able to do respectable DPS in my own right, not just relying on my companion; especially since I'll probably be using my healer companion now at 25.

So, would I be better at going defence route which allows better solo play versus the elites and champions out there, as well as tank better in flashpoints along the way to 50. Or, would I be better going one of the other two dps trees as you can still tank flashpoints and handle solo elites/champions while doing missions solo, on the way to 50? I'll assume going either route I'd be using gear with tanking secondary stats when they're availiable for flashpoint tanking.

Thanks for your time and any thoughts/suggestions.

Depends on how you play, honestly. From what you're talking about, you probably want to actually use a hybrid build- which there's a decent number of which that blend defensive and offensive together in a method that will please you. Vanguards can handle elite/champs solo even when not tank-specced...heck, I do it with 25 points in Assault. It's just that your style will vary depending on how you build your Vanguard. Me handling a big mob isn't a face-to-face slugging match, it's a kite that my heavy armor and Vanguard cooldowns let me dance for an obscene amount of time with a mob and keep it's attention on me. A heavy Shield Vanguard will be more a conventional tank while playing, plowing headfirst into groups. Either way, Vanguards have methods to deal with big mobs, our trees allow us a wide variety of options to do so.