Tactics for a (0/13/28) Sorceror?

jitsuo

I understand the rotation but I'm simply not used to moving around as a caster class in PvP. In WoW I played a Ret Paladin, Frost DK, and Arms Warrior mostly so I never figured out efficient ways to engage as a caster.

When is it prudent to escape from a battle, are there any efficient ways to engage (Other than just running up from any direction and beginning to attack, any ways to position)?

I have found that putting up dots and "Pillar Humping" works well when around obstacles.

I apologize if these are apparent to most, I am just used to playing a heavily armored class and just rolling into battle expecting to soak up the damage for my friends while receiving heals, I love the Sorcerer but I just want to understand the mentality/tactics behind his use.

Thanks in advance :)

EDIT: Changed topic title, mis-typed

Edited by jitsuo

Main PvP tactics for sorcs, particularly compared to the heavy armor classes in WoW, is that you absolutely must be aware of the surrounding terrain. Using terrain to your advantage tactically is what separates the good sorcs from the fodder.

Main PvP tactics for sorcs, particularly compared to the heavy armor classes in WoW, is that you absolutely must be aware of the surrounding terrain. Using terrain to your advantage tactically is what separates the good sorcs from the fodder.

I understand that, but I'm mostly asking how to use terrain. Usually I like to get high ground so I can shock enemies down from me and back up to cut off LOS if I begin to get focuses, is this correct or is there a more efficient way?

I understand that, but I'm mostly asking how to use terrain. Usually I like to get high ground so I can shock enemies down from me and back up to cut off LOS if I begin to get focuses, is this correct or is there a more efficient way?

That's pretty well correct. The idea is to use high-ground (or occasionally low-ground) to block LoS as necessary, but to otherwise deny the opponent the ability to close with you. Against other ranged dps, this doesn't help much, but against a melee DPS this is invaluable (particularly if you can time a knockback to punt them back off the high-ground when they do finally get to you). A really good example of this is the higher catwalks on Huttball. The ones bordering the center take a fair amount of effort to get to as a melee dps in the center (unless they have a charge), and the ones on the two sides provide very nice sniping opportunities for the lower catwalks and the two side ledges coming out of the pit. As a Sorc, you need to get really good at finding and keeping the high ground.

I used that same spec for a while; though I took Seeping Darkness for crit rather than Electric Induction. I got tired of it because while you can dish it out, it didn't have enough survivability for me. The main tactics I used were pretty much what you detailed.

• Stay close to obstacles and buff spawns.
  • Keep your range.
  • DoT everything you see and then spam Force Lightning.
  • Get good at laying down an instant point blank Death Field as a finishing move.
  • Electrocute healers and then whirlwind them when they break it with their anti-cc skill.
  • Always use Chain Lightning when Wrath procs (This was a hard one for me to get used to after playing a full Madness spec for a while)

What I didn't like:

• Chain Shock seemed marginally useful. With the no-cooldown FL, I found shock was used primarily as an opener and a closer. I guess I just don't like shock much is what the problem is. The fact that it triggers the global cooldown and makes your next activated skill, like Lightning Strike, have to wait is annoying. Rather than have this talent trigger an additional strike, I would much rather that it made shock not trigger the GCD.

• FL has a short range and this puts you in the middle of melee quite often.

• You have to face your opponent to do most of your damage which makes kiting rather complicated. Not something I expected with a class that was a DoT and run type.

• Without the health gains from the madness tree (which seemed minor when i switched to this hybrid) I find that survivability is rather low. Glass Canon doesn't really describe someone who doesn't actually nuke much and has less survivability than a wine glass in the hands of a toddler.

Lately I have found playing a healer in PVP more rewarding. However, though I say that, I do see far too many healers on my server in PVP. How silly is it when you see 5 healers standing around an objective healing each other with like one person actually killing opponents or capping the objective?! :p

I used that same spec for a while; though I took Seeping Darkness for crit rather than Electric Induction. I got tired of it because while you can dish it out, it didn't have enough survivability for me. The main tactics I used were pretty much what you detailed.

• Stay close to obstacles and buff spawns.
  • Keep your range.
  • DoT everything you see and then spam Force Lightning.
  • Get good at laying down an instant point blank Death Field as a finishing move.
  • Electrocute healers and then whirlwind them when they break it with their anti-cc skill.
  • Always use Chain Lightning when Wrath procs (This was a hard one for me to get used to after playing a full Madness spec for a while)

What I didn't like:

• Chain Shock seemed marginally useful. With the no-cooldown FL, I found shock was used primarily as an opener and a closer. I guess I just don't like shock much is what the problem is. The fact that it triggers the global cooldown and makes your next activated skill, like Lightning Strike, have to wait is annoying. Rather than have this talent trigger an additional strike, I would much rather that it made shock not trigger the GCD.

• FL has a short range and this puts you in the middle of melee quite often.

• You have to face your opponent to do most of your damage which makes kiting rather complicated. Not something I expected with a class that was a DoT and run type.

• Without the health gains from the madness tree (which seemed minor when i switched to this hybrid) I find that survivability is rather low. Glass Canon doesn't really describe someone who doesn't actually nuke much and has less survivability than a wine glass in the hands of a toddler.

Lately I have found playing a healer in PVP more rewarding. However, though I say that, I do see far too many healers on my server in PVP. How silly is it when you see 5 healers standing around an objective healing each other with like one person actually killing opponents or capping the objective?! :p

Some good points here, thanks for the advice. With Death Mark, I like using Death Field in conjunction with my other dots as opposed to a finishing move. Death Fielding and spreading around Affliction can help bring down a full group. The points in Chain Shock are mostly filler anyway, I would rather improve my finisher than add meaningless points of reduction in other slots.

That's pretty well correct. The idea is to use high-ground (or occasionally low-ground) to block LoS as necessary, but to otherwise deny the opponent the ability to close with you. Against other ranged dps, this doesn't help much, but against a melee DPS this is invaluable (particularly if you can time a knockback to punt them back off the high-ground when they do finally get to you). A really good example of this is the higher catwalks on Huttball. The ones bordering the center take a fair amount of effort to get to as a melee dps in the center (unless they have a charge), and the ones on the two sides provide very nice sniping opportunities for the lower catwalks and the two side ledges coming out of the pit. As a Sorc, you need to get really good at finding and keeping the high ground.

Ok, thanks mate. I have also heard that if you stand right on the ridge, when opposing players jump to you they fall right off. I've been trying to do more of that and it seems effective.

Edited by jitsuo

Couple more tips:

1) If on a catwalk like Huttbal, stand on the edge so if they leap to you they immediate fall off.

2) Use your aoe knockback to knock people off your ledge, or move them into stuff (fire, green pool, off ledges, etc)

3) Memorize the range of your force lightning, you'd be surprised how far away you can start attacking.

4) Dot em up if you can before hand, usually people notice that less than lightning being shot at them

5) I always like to electrocute and THEN insta whirlwind to CC someone. The first one makes them use their CC breaker, the other one keeps them CC'ed for a while.

6) Target the guy in the middle of packs to get the most out of chain lightning. If there are 2 groups and one guy bridges the gap, you maybe able to hit both groups if you chain lightning the guy in the middle

7) You can still kite melee classes. Don't be afraid to dot on the run, slow them, stun them and force dash to get more ground.

8) Practice practice practice firing off Death Field + Mark on the run

9) You know to bubble, but learn to bubble before a fight and after the first bubble wears off too. 3 bubbles and your opponent has to cut through a LOT of extra damage during the fight than if you only managed to get one off. Plus you might not even need to heal.

10) Too bad you haven't play a shaodw priest in WoW. The SI Sorc is the closest thing to that class.

Couple more tips:

1) If on a catwalk like Huttbal, stand on the edge so if they leap to you they immediate fall off.

2) Use your aoe knockback to knock people off your ledge, or move them into stuff (fire, green pool, off ledges, etc)

3) Memorize the range of your force lightning, you'd be surprised how far away you can start attacking.

4) Dot em up if you can before hand, usually people notice that less than lightning being shot at them

5) I always like to electrocute and THEN insta whirlwind to CC someone. The first one makes them use their CC breaker, the other one keeps them CC'ed for a while.

6) Target the guy in the middle of packs to get the most out of chain lightning. If there are 2 groups and one guy bridges the gap, you maybe able to hit both groups if you chain lightning the guy in the middle

7) You can still kite melee classes. Don't be afraid to dot on the run, slow them, stun them and force dash to get more ground.

8) Practice practice practice firing off Death Field + Mark on the run

9) You know to bubble, but learn to bubble before a fight and after the first bubble wears off too. 3 bubbles and your opponent has to cut through a LOT of extra damage during the fight than if you only managed to get one off. Plus you might not even need to heal.

10) Too bad you haven't play a shaodw priest in WoW. The SI Sorc is the closest thing to that class.

I've been using some of the stuff you stated. I pre-emptively bubble a lot and I always try to get to max range. I need to work on kiting better, I always feel so inclined to use FL too much. The CL tip will definitely help, and the electrocute/WW will help a LOT. It would probably help to switch up the order depending on the situation. WW to get to max range and, if he breaks the CC, the electrocute will hold him in place and allow me to lay the hurt with some dots/FL

Knocking back into the fire/acid is my favorite thing to do, reminds me of Chuck Norris-ing LoL players into turrets as Lee Sin :)

You wanna watch this:

I play similar to that guy but I tend to play more offensively, especially with my CCs.

I thought it should be more like this...

video is of Sage, but play stay would be the same!

Edited by Xneco

You wanna watch this:

I play similar to that guy but I tend to play more offensively, especially with my CCs.

I'm at work atm so I'll watch it when I get home, thanks for the link though :) from the comments it seems like the guy is very helpful.

I thought it should be more like this...

video is of Sage, but play stay would be the same!

Thanks mate, the vids will definitely help :)

I've been using some of the stuff you stated. I pre-emptively bubble a lot and I always try to get to max range. I need to work on kiting better, I always feel so inclined to use FL too much. The CL tip will definitely help, and the electrocute/WW will help a LOT. It would probably help to switch up the order depending on the situation. WW to get to max range and, if he breaks the CC, the electrocute will hold him in place and allow me to lay the hurt with some dots/FL

Knocking back into the fire/acid is my favorite thing to do, reminds me of Chuck Norris-ing LoL players into turrets as Lee Sin :)

It depends on the opponent. Against someone that seems like they just hit 50 (their health drops like a brick where they cant seem to break my bubble) I'll just spam FL. Against champs I tend to try to kite them if they are stuck on me and I can't get rid of em.

The Electrocute + Whirlwind is generally for if you are facing 2 opponents and need to CC one of them. That or it works to CC one if you are a lone defender of a door or flag and called for reinforcements. I rarely use whirlwind to root the guys, but I'm mainly a PvE spec that I don't like to change for PvP.

On that note about knocking people off into dangerous stuff, immediately stun them if you can so they remian in there. I love electrocuting ball carriers as they cross the fire field and having them roast in there while the fire comes back up.