List of popular SW characters' class?

Qonor

Please, popular SW characters don't have a class. You can image what class is suited for them, but there is no canon on it.

OK, cool. I'm just a Star Wars novice trying to learn more about the universe. I've seen the movies, but that's about it. I assumed classes in this game were modeled from the popular Star Wars players.

OK, cool. I'm just a Star Wars novice trying to learn more about the universe. I've seen the movies, but that's about it. I assumed classes in this game were modeled from the popular Star Wars players.

They are... sort of. The classes are somewhat based on the iconic characters, such as Darth Maul providing the basis for the Assassin. However, as the other poster said, they're not really direct analogues. You'll be able to find parallels between many of the iconic SW characters and several classes rather than just one.

For example in the case of the Jedi, in the movies and most of the EU the Jedi are just that, Jedi. All of them are Jedi Knights. There is no specification of Knight/Consular much less Sentinel/Shadow/Sage/Guardian. Everyone would have their personal specialties, sure, but generally the real characters tend to be more of an amalgamation of several of what Bioware has deemed the Jedi "classes."

But that would have made things far too muddled for the purposes of this type of game, so the aspects of the Jedi or Sith or whatever have been broken down into more distinct packages and assigned a specific name. (Particularly since BW has said they were not setting out to remake SWG or a sandbox game, ergo sandbox classes/skill trees were out of the question).

Particularly since BW has said they were not setting out to remake SWG or a sandbox game, ergo sandbox classes/skill trees were out of the question

Entirely off topic, but not necessarily, you can have open character progression/customization and still have the rest of the game be theme-parky rather than a sandbox.

Entirely off topic, but not necessarily, you can have open character progression/customization and still have the rest of the game be theme-parky rather than a sandbox.

True, but it makes things like the end-game in a theme-park much harder to balance.

Just one thing, the Jedi "Classes", were a lot better handled in KOTOR 1 and 2, since you chose force powers, abilites, etc...Your character did have a speciality, but was not that pigeonholed, it was common a Consular gom melee for instance.

This is about as rough as you can get but here goes, imo, of course:

Assassin/shadow: Darth Maul

sage/Sorc: Palpatine/ Yoda

Knight/SW: Obi-wan/Vader

BH: Boba/ Jango

Smuggler: Han Solo

Trooper: Not really sure there is one, really the only Clone you know in the series is Cody on Utapau

IA: Not much of one either. After all, a spy's entire purpose is not to be seen, I suppose ;)

This is about as rough as you can get but here goes, imo, of course:

Assassin/shadow: Darth Maul

sage/Sorc: Palpatine/ Yoda

Knight/SW: Obi-wan/Vader

BH: Boba/ Jango

Smuggler: Han Solo

Trooper: Not really sure there is one, really the only Clone you know in the series is Cody on Utapau

IA: Not much of one either. After all, a spy's entire purpose is not to be seen, I suppose ;)

Thanks. Very helpful to a Star Wars newb with no alts like myself.

Well what's more relevant is the lightsaber combat forms, rather than the "class" since advances classes isn't a concept that was used in the original story.

Yoda would have mainly used the Ataru form (Combat tree, Sentinal) which is an acrobatic fighting form emphasizing speed and agility.

Mace Windu would have mainly used the Juyo form (Watchman tree, Sentinel) which is an aggressive form emphasizing vicious attacks.

Anakin Skywalker mainly used the Shien form (Vigilance tree, Guardian) which is an aggressive form which emphasizes power attacks, physical strength, and devastating counter attacks.

Obi-Wan Kenobi mainly used the Soresu form (Defense tree, Guardian) which is a defensive form relying on economy of motion and defensive technique in order to outlast opponents.

So we have two Guardians and two Sentinels.. what about the Consulars??

Consular Sages (Jedi Diplomats, really) learned the Niman form for self defense: it was meant to be a balanced style and required less time to master, but less effective for combat. They all died in the clone wars at geonosis and the later purge, so there are none by the time of A New Hope =P

Consular Shadows aren't canon I believe...

Heres my take on the classes inspiration/counterparts,

BH - Powertech: Boba Fett (1 pistol)

BH - Mercenary: Jango Fett (2 pistols)

SW - Juggernaut: Darth Vadar (heavy armor, 1 saber, slow power attacks - viscous slash)

JK - Sentinel - Anakin Skywalker (when he uses two sabers in episode 2 was it?)

SI - Assassin: Darth maul (double bladed saber. hell, even seeth is mauls portrait/pacing from Episode 1)

SI - Sorcerer: Darth Sidious (lightning out the ***)

JC - Sage: Yoda (strong enough in force to catch that falling pillar in episode 2)

RT - both: Clone trooper. (in armor and purpose, just foot soldiers)

Smuggler - Scoundrel: Han Solo (self explanatory, they give you a freaking wookie minion)

The rest are just mirrors for balance purposes.

JK - Guardian: I don't ever remember seeing armored Jedi in the movies (they seem to like their cloth robes), obviously you could take the approach that Obi-wan was a guardian or something (maybe in that dumb cartoon?). but I'm looking at the perspective of an armored lightsaber wielding bad ***, like Vadar and his one handed power attacks.

Troopers/Agents are just general people serving their faction, not really based off anyone in particular from the movies.

then, since instead of doing 8 classes per side they merged them into 4 classes with 2 adv classes, obviously there will be some shared abilities for technical purposes (laziness most likely... why make 8 class stories per side, when you can merge them and only have to make 4)

Edited by Enclone

Heres my take on the classes inspiration/counterparts,

BH - Powertech: Boba Fett (1 pistol)

BH - Mercenary: Jango Fett (2 pistols)

SW - Juggernaut: Darth Vadar (heavy armor, 1 saber, slow power attacks - viscous slash)

JK - Sentinel - Anakin Skywalker (when he uses two sabers in episode 2 was it?)

SI - Assassin: Darth maul (double bladed saber. hell, even seeth is mauls portrait/pacing from Episode 1)

SI - Sorcerer: Darth Sidious (lightning out the ***)

JC - Sage: Yoda (strong enough in force to catch that falling pillar in episode 2)

RT - both: Clone trooper. (in armor and purpose, just foot soldiers)

Smuggler - Scoundrel: Han Solo (self explanatory, they give you a freaking wookie minion)

The rest are just mirrors for balance purposes.

JK - Guardian: I don't ever remember seeing armored Jedi in the movies (they seem to like their cloth robes), obviously you could take the approach that Obi-wan was a guardian or something (maybe in that dumb cartoon?). but I'm looking at the perspective of an armored lightsaber wielding bad ***, like Vadar and his one handed power attacks.

Troopers/Agents are just general people serving their faction, not really based off anyone in particular from the movies.

then, since instead of doing 8 classes per side they merged them into 4 classes with 2 adv classes, obviously there will be some shared abilities for technical purposes (laziness most likely... why make 8 class stories per side, when you can merge them and only have to make 4)

Good stuff. Stuff like this might help people who are new to the Star Wars universe choose a class. "Oh, I wanna make a character like _____. Which class is that?" For example, I liked Yoda and Darth Maul, hence why I wanted to play a Jedi Consular / Sith Inquisitor right off the bat.

Edited by Qonor

In the times around the Clone Wars, the two main "classes" of Jedi were Guardians (traditionally with blue lightsaber, eg Obi-Wan/Anakin), and Consulars (green lightsaber, eg Yoda/Kit Fisto). In the Old Republic time there was a third class, Sentinels (yellow lightsaber, eg Bastila Shan).

If you're interested in reading more in depth I find the Star Wars wiki to be excellent reading. They cite all their sources and list possible conflicts in canon. eg Jedi Consular, [yeah I'm a nerd :D]

Edited by wallywaffles

Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, and Anakin all use Force Leap and Pommel Strike pretty often, along with Force Push. They're clearly Jedi Knights. Indeed, the animations for JKs are clearly based on the combat moves used by these characters, just as the Assassin animations are based on Darth Maul.

Mace Windu is hard to read since he uses Vapaad (unique lightsaber technique). He might be a consular or a knight.

Yoda is apparently a consular with no shields. ;)

Luke... is confusing. He explicitly trains as a Jedi Knight under Obi-Wan then under Yoda, but later he seems to wander off on his own path. He force chokes a Gamorrean at the beginning of ROTJ, after all. But then in later books he does all sorts of things that cross class lines, e.g. using Force Wave (consular power). Luke doesn't really fit class descriptions.

Edited by Aloro