The Best View in SWTOR contest has returned! ×

Is accuracy useful?

Murdurus

In most cases, no, it isnt.

We have 3 abilities that need accuracy:

Rapid Shots (Basic attack)

Unload

Rail Shot

Of those, only rail shot is a core part of any powertech rotation. With 0% bonus accuracy, you still have a 90% chance to hit with all three attacks, barring enemy defenses.

Because the bulk of our damage/threat generation is based on tech attacks (which have 100% base accuracy and cannot be shielded/dodged/deflected), accuracy is one of the least useful stats for us - only slightly more useful than alacrity.

Ah, okay, I just wanted to make sure since a lot of our gear actually gave us accuracy. I was mostly more concerned about lowering the target's resistance to tech attacks than Rail Shot missing.

Accuracy is not working as intended for the armor pen at least in PVE. Either the bosses don't have the extra defense (which is probably true) or it's broken. I believe they don't have extra defense, so extra accuracy is useless.

With that said, like the poster above only 3 abilities does it matter, the rest of our abilities are tech and you have a base 100% accuracy.

Now I found even those RS in Pyro is a main component, having just 90% is fine and because I removed every piece of accuracy and replaced with surge/power I'm doing more dps (I'm now beating everyone on the single fight in EV before I was like 4th with more accuracy).

The problem is all the rakata DPS gear and BM gear has accuracy as the enhancement except the healing (and alacrity is even worse for us). So i buy the Columni/Champion agent gloves and rip out the surge/power enhacements and replace in the rakata.

I do keep the accuracy enh in case they chance bosses defense or how accuracy works.

Basically accuracy is needed if you Dual wield, against tanks in pvp because of the extra defense (but eh even in my BM gear I've replaced all accuracy with power/surge), and for our 3 basic attacks (but i barely use rapid, use unload even less, so just for RS).

Accuracy is not working as intended for the armor pen at least in PVE. Either the bosses don't have the extra defense (which is probably true) or it's broken. I believe they don't have extra defense, so extra accuracy is useless.

With that said, like the poster above only 3 abilities does it matter, the rest of our abilities are tech and you have a base 100% accuracy.

Now I found even those RS in Pyro is a main component, having just 90% is fine and because I removed every piece of accuracy and replaced with surge/power I'm doing more dps (I'm now beating everyone on the single fight in EV before I was like 4th with more accuracy).

The problem is all the rakata DPS gear and BM gear has accuracy as the enhancement except the healing (and alacrity is even worse for us). So i buy the Columni/Champion agent gloves and rip out the surge/power enhacements and replace in the rakata.

I do keep the accuracy enh in case they chance bosses defense or how accuracy works.

Basically accuracy is needed if you Dual wield, against tanks in pvp because of the extra defense (but eh even in my BM gear I've replaced all accuracy with power/surge), and for our 3 basic attacks (but i barely use rapid, use unload even less, so just for RS).

The Infernal Council in EV aren't boss level, they are elite... Your position is invalid on the amount for accuracy needed for raid bosses. Also accuracy has nothing to do with armor pen so your position on that issue is also invalid. Defense is a skill that allows you to avoid damage completely, such as dodge and resist.

I do give you kudos for tricking your raid into thinking you were good at your class by beating them on trash level mobs though.

98% basic (108% tech) accuracy seems to be the number needed for your special attacks to not miss, be dodged, or resist on raid bosses.

Now rail shot and over a long fight rapid shot are a significant amount of damage, you can argue the merits of whether or not you should go for hard cap or not. I haven't seen anything definitive about that subject. Having multiple rail shots be dodged over a long fight would be a significant enough reason to have it looked at. As of right now 108% for tech is the cap to shoot for in PVE

Edited by Eroex

I'll be honest, I don't really know. I have 107% tech accuracy and I don't miss any more. At 90% I'd say I missed once every ten shots, which sucked when it was the Rail Shot that would decapitate an enemy healer.

I don't have accuracy on my weapon, just on the centurion pvp gear and I've actually removed some of those enhancements and replaced with crit because I was around 110% tech accuracy, and 100% base. Now I do more damage and hit just as much, but then Rail Shot is a vital part of my build.