companion gift pricing

thewatcheruatu

Before I start, I'll just say that I know this is extremely low priority stuff, but it's just something I wanted to get off my chest.

This might better belong in the Suggestion Box, but it is crew skill related in the sense that I've leveled a number of crew skills though companion gift production, and the problem of pricing kind of goes to larger issues with the GTN pricing defaults.

Anyway, small example to illustrate the problem:

Pinpoint Welding Torch - level 5 technology (premium) - auto-valued by the GTN at 1620 credits

Aratech Reconstruction Toolkit - level 5 technology (prototype) - auto-valued by the GTN at 2430 credits

Giving the former to, say, Mako--assuming she has 8000+ affection, will net you 96 affection gain. Giving the latter to Mako will net you 180. The prototype gift, in other words, provides 187% the amount of affection as the premium gift. However, the auto-value of the prototype gift is only 150% of the auto-value of the premium gift.

The math on that couldn't be any simpler, so why does the GTN get it wrong? I don't really want to get into a debate here about how the GTN prices the premium items. Maybe the premium items are overvalued--I don't know.

Before I start, I'll just say that I know this is extremely low priority stuff, but it's just something I wanted to get off my chest.

This might better belong in the Suggestion Box, but it is crew skill related in the sense that I've leveled a number of crew skills though companion gift production, and the problem of pricing kind of goes to larger issues with the GTN pricing defaults.

Anyway, small example to illustrate the problem:

Pinpoint Welding Torch - level 5 technology (premium) - auto-valued by the GTN at 1620 credits

Aratech Reconstruction Toolkit - level 5 technology (prototype) - auto-valued by the GTN at 2430 credits

Giving the former to, say, Mako--assuming she has 8000+ affection, will net you 96 affection gain. Giving the latter to Mako will net you 180. The prototype gift, in other words, provides 187% the amount of affection as the premium gift. However, the auto-value of the prototype gift is only 150% of the auto-value of the premium gift.

The math on that couldn't be any simpler, so why does the GTN get it wrong? I don't really want to get into a debate here about how the GTN prices the premium items. Maybe the premium items are overvalued--I don't know.

A weighted average of the net affection gain over all available companions might be a better example if you want to base pricing on that. Using one companion kind of makes your arguement easy to dismiss. I dont have Mako so I could say it doesnt apply to me. I could also say I only want to increase affection on someone with max bonus to luxury, so your default pricing system may not apply either...